HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2012, 05:41 PM
9958 gave me the toilet bowl
United States, IL, Rockford
Joined Jan 2012
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
if another company comes with a better, cheaper, etc, heli, they could be less hot tomorrow.
Oh, now transmitter compatibility has nothing to do with being hot.
Proud Infidel is offline Find More Posts by Proud Infidel
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2012, 10:42 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,189 Posts
I see they added more photos on Benma's site.

http://www.benmahobby.com/english/toysShow.asp?id=58015
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:50 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Infidel View Post
Oh, now transmitter compatibility has nothing to do with being hot.
Still trying to "unmask" me? I always feel like you don't simply read my postings, but scrutinize these, looking for any inconsistancy, or a not fully perfect choice of words. This is a hobby forum, not a university. Using that brick throwing icon gets almost just as tired as complaining about 9958 TBE... I'll try to explain one more time then...

Transmitter compatibility can be a means to keep customers buying your brand heli. Say a new heli comes, from another brand, but it's slightly better than the new heli of the brand you currently have some products of, but which is still compatible with your current full feature transmitter. There is a good chance in that case you will stick to your current brand, because you can keep using the fine transmitter you are used to. Now, if the company you already own a heli off, brings out a new heli that isn't compatible with your full feature transmitter, and a competing brand also has a promising heli. In both cases you will get another transmitter with your heli, then you could be less likely to stay loyal to "your" brand, and more prone to get the heli of the competing brand. Having a transmitter upgrade path open does affect sales.

Just look at Blade, you can't deny part of their success is due to their BnF strategy. People that pre-ordered the next heli already input the setting for the model on their Dx6/7 etc, so they can fly right away when their new purchase gets in. Lot's of comments like, "I'm not going to wait for the reviews to get in, I'll buy one anyway." That's brand loyalty, partially due to the quality of Blade products, and partially due to the BnF strategy. If it didn't matter at all, do you think Blade would pay for a licence on DSM protocol, if it didn't help them sell their products and keep customers coming back, stay loyal to their brand?

Finally, a quote from the upcoming WL Quadrotor thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
Im definately getting one of these little bad boys when the price of a BNF comes below $40, and the 9X binding is confirmed
TX compatibility does matter...
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SoloProFan; Jun 01, 2012 at 04:38 AM.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 10:58 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,257 Posts
Quote:
TX compatibility does matter...
Yes, but a statement such as "50% of sales is from Tx compatibility" is the kind of outlandish claim a salesman would make. You're certainly no marketing analyst.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 11:36 AM
Joined Nov 2011
299 Posts
What I have really missed with these types of helis (S107G, V911 etc) is they all come assembled. I'd LOVE to buy a bunch of pieces, wires and everything and then solder it all together myself. It would even be cheaper to manufacture! All the tuning and balancing could be done at home - we heli nuts can do it! If someone isn't up to the task they can buy an assembled option but they really should also sell a "Kit" version! Secondly they should sell "upgrade" pieces or things we could change and customize our helis with. Like an "improved" swash with a pivot ball, better rear motor, CNC aluminium bits etc, carbon bits. That's what makes building these things so cool! After I was finished with my S107G there were probably half of the pieces made by myself!

But even a "build it yourself" kit would be so cool! And I don't think I'd be the only one aiming for this kit! There seems to be a bunch of builders around these forums who think building these helis is half the fun!
andur is offline Find More Posts by andur
Old Jun 01, 2012, 12:18 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,327 Posts
@SPF, Daryoon, Pirre. You guys have all been making good points about the Tx compatibility. I, for one, care about it a great deal. So far, I fly every single RF model in my fleet using one 9x radio, and I have turned down buying certain models because of their Tx incompatibility. Tx compatibility is not the only consideration, but it is a big one.

On top of that, sometimes battery compatibility also comes into the picture. There is a great convenience if you could use the same battery type across the fleet you own. Of course, it may not always be practical. Nonetheless, it is a consideration.

Quote:
Half is an outrageous estimate. I'll bet you've never sampled V911 owners.
Stop hopping on an estimate or even an outright exaggeration to make a point. With all his explanation, SPF has certainly made it clear what he was talking about. The "half" is an expression. It is not a statement from a scientific report.

And before you make another accusation like the above, just remember who notoriously claims that 9958 has TBE w/o sampling the opinions of other 9958 owners, and outright ignores the all the 9958 owners who told him that he is wrong!
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jun 01, 2012, 02:00 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
The "half" is an expression. It is not a statement from a scientific report.
Your good buddy SoloProFan claims that half of V911 sales are due to Tx compatibility, without any studies to back it up. Salesmen make outrageous claims and I'm there point out their nonsense. And yes, my Xieda 9958 has the toilet bowl effect.
Last edited by Proud Infidel; Jun 01, 2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:07 PM
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Feb 2012
177 Posts
Quote:
Yes, but a statement such as "50% of sales is from Tx compatibility" is the kind of outlandish claim a salesman would make. You're certainly no marketing analyst.
@PI, so using my powers of observation and deduction, you either are/were a real member of the US ARMED forces or you simply like to dress up like one and tromp around the woods playing airsoft or paintball. The other possible scenario is you are just a troll that likes the attention he gets from drumming up conspiracy theories about other forum contributors... Seriously, would it really matter if SPF was a NE salesman? So either contribute something meaningful to the conversation or pack up and go elsewhere. I don't think anyone here is going to miss you, or your TBE...
jl1252 is offline Find More Posts by jl1252
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:18 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl1252 View Post
either contribute something meaningful to the conversation or pack up and go elsewhere.
I educate people. An educated person is the biggest threat to salesmen's greed.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 05:17 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,381 Posts
Anyone who wants to be a teacher, must first learn to listen. And be sure of what he or she wants to teach and fully grasp it. Someone may believe in his heart that 1 + 2 = 4 instead of 3, and be willing to defend this idea with all his or her might, but no matter how fanatically this person is going to defend that statement, it won't make it the truth.

And right now, I'm waiting patiently for jameschen072 to teach us more about this new heli. For that, I'm all ear.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2012, 05:43 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Anyone who wants to be a teacher, must first learn to listen.
Listen to who? You?
Old Jun 01, 2012, 06:00 PM
Belgium
Joined Dec 2011
624 Posts
Guys, I hate to be a party pooper, but would you mind taking it to PM? You're cluttering up a perfectly fine thread.
cgpirre is offline Find More Posts by cgpirre
Old Jun 01, 2012, 07:45 PM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,290 Posts
Hey guys, I think what really matters is that the manufacturer is listening to our comments... and compatibility is really important to a portion of customers...that we can all agree on right? So I'll try my best to communicate with Benma. What you have to realize is business is sometimes personal here in China.. and using the same protocol may cut into WLToys profits.. I know the owners of both companies...they have been close friends for many years so I'm guessing it may be one reason Benma is reluctant to use said protocol.

@FyreSG, independent servos allow much of the weight to move closer to the CG and in turn make the heli more stable. I'll let you know if it really works once I get the sample :P I appreciate not having to replace the whole board if a servo fails to say the least.

I was chatting to Benma's owner last night and they are working on a brushless hovercraft alongside the Helios! Should be fun to see
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2012, 11:48 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpirre View Post
Guys, I hate to be a party pooper, but would you mind taking it to PM? You're cluttering up a perfectly fine thread.
You're so right. That's why, with the remark I quoted below, I tried to bring this thread back on track again, but I'm afraid some people just don't want this thread to stay ontopic, but use it for their own plans. I'll try to ignore these persons even harder than I did until now, but believe me, that's not an easy task, when someone is trying to make you look bad in almost every thread you post. But as far as I'm concerned it ends here.

Quote:

And right now, I'm waiting patiently for jameschen072 to teach us more about this new heli. For that, I'm all ear.

@James: I hope you can convince them of your findings. At least speaking for myself, I am less likely to get a Helios if it comes with yet another transmitter. If I can bind it to my 9x, I might consider it. Or if it runs rings aroung the V911, but considering that the V911 is already held in high esteem by quite a few people, at least that is the impression I get, it will be hard to make the Helios that much better to convince me I really got to have one. And I may not be the only one who feels this way.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 02, 2012, 12:11 AM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
Hey guys, I think what really matters is that the manufacturer is listening to our comments... and compatibility is really important to a portion of customers...that we can all agree on right? So I'll try my best to communicate with Benma. What you have to realize is business is sometimes personal here in China.. and using the same protocol may cut into WLToys profits.. I know the owners of both companies...they have been close friends for many years so I'm guessing it may be one reason Benma is reluctant to use said protocol.
But who's protocol is it really? I mean the 9x uses a protocol that is popular in many RC platforms. So wouldn't it make sense that both Benma and WLToys would want to use the same protocol so people who have an aftermarket Tx (like the 9x) that would control them both might want to buy both helis? I don't think it would detract sales from either side ... it might actually help sell more helis in the long run.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli