HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:03 PM
Registered User
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,545 Posts
Put a few more flights on my Helios and flying back to back with V911's..maybe time to get another Helios..they fly better than V911. Big advantahe of V911 is bnf versions. My V911's have held up to test of time, aside from one with a bad tail motor all are doing well. I fly them and enjoy them all. Mixed in with quads gaining more experience. Next will be FBL 4 ch and quads/ sim work to get to 6ch helis. I have no intent to try 3-d in my home so allways have use for my little birds, quads/ Scorpion Y-6.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:11 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
SoloProFan's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,093 Posts
Decided to give it a go, and ordered a Helios from BG. I need a cheap "bash around outdoor flyer" that can take a little breeze. The 9958 fit the picture, but mine is acting up, probably the receiver. So it's either a new BnF 9958, or get more variation in flying experience by getting another heli. Decided for the latter, we'll see how it goes, and if the Helios can fully replace my 9958 for "playing outdoor".
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:16 PM
Sir Crashalot
stonecutter's Avatar
Joined Oct 2011
2,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
Put a few more flights on my Helios and flying back to back with V911's..maybe time to get another Helios..they fly better than V911. Big advantahe of V911 is bnf versions. My V911's have held up to test of time, aside from one with a bad tail motor all are doing well. I fly them and enjoy them all. Mixed in with quads gaining more experience. Next will be FBL 4 ch and quads/ sim work to get to 6ch helis. I have no intent to try 3-d in my home so allways have use for my little birds, quads/ Scorpion Y-6.
I won't go as far as saying the Helios flies better than the v911, really depends on one's mood and flying style.

Couple other things I'd discovered. The Helios servos react slightly slower than the v911's, though have the same full range of movement. Not a weakness, just different flight characteristics. Also, in low rate, the Helios' throttle is also restricted, which is not true of the v911. Makes the low rate of the Helios less useful IMO.
stonecutter is online now Find More Posts by stonecutter
Last edited by stonecutter; Sep 23, 2012 at 11:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:48 PM
We NEED a LiPo w a USB plug!!!
IceRail's Avatar
Orland Park, Illinois
Joined Feb 2010
425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
Decided to give it a go, and ordered a Helios from BG. <snip>

I can feel my fortitude wavering.....
I know damn well it's only a matter of time before I end up doing the same thing...

The only thing stopping me is I ALSO know it's only a matter of time before I buy my first quad (although I HATE the things)!
Guess I've just waiting to combine a few things. I can't decide between a WL quad and this: http://news.banggood.com/u/nrd.php?p...81_280843_1_93 (any input IS welcome)
IceRail is offline Find More Posts by IceRail
Last edited by IceRail; Sep 23, 2012 at 04:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:36 PM
Flying mostly micro's
BlueHavoc's Avatar
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
The more I fly my Helios, the more I like it! I may drop one of my extra 9x rx in to see what it can do with the 9x radio!
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:08 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
FyreSG's Avatar
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Couple other things I'd discovered. The Helios servos react slightly slower than the v911's, though have the same full range of movement.
Did you try moving the cyclic stick then observing the swashplate movement for both helicopters? Somehow, I find the Helios 100 swashplate movements smoother.
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:22 PM
Registered User
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,545 Posts
First I like both V911 and Helios 100. Both fly well and V911 is best deal out there w/ bnf . V911 you can charge both batteries at same time. Helios has just one cord and charge one battery at at a time unless you have adaprter. No big thing. I have Wl Toys/ S/P/Walkrea/ Helios so T9X point is moot for me. I have T9X bound to 9958 as stock TX is total junk. Two helis I can raise straight up from takeoff are T-Rex 100X/ Helios 100/ S/P 270 very close/ then V911. 9958 forget it . The Helios is cheaper than V911 RTF. Helios does not offer a bnf.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:20 PM
Sir Crashalot
stonecutter's Avatar
Joined Oct 2011
2,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
Did you try moving the cyclic stick then observing the swashplate movement for both helicopters? Somehow, I find the Helios 100 swashplate movements smoother.
The Helios servo response is defiinitely smooth. That is the word that first came to mind when I wanted to describe it. But the v911 servo response is quicker, w/ seemingly no lag time whatsoever. Just move the right stick quickly and observe the servo arms for both helis to see what I'm trying to convey. I'd say the v911 is 'crisper' is response, but the Helios can attain (and maintain) an angle of attack as steep as my v911's (stock flybar and paddled flybar), which is a pleasant surprise.
stonecutter is online now Find More Posts by stonecutter
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:01 AM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
Makdaddy's Avatar
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Jul 2012
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
The Helios servo response is defiinitely smooth. That is the word that first came to mind when I wanted to describe it. But the v911 servo response is quicker, w/ seemingly no lag time whatsoever. Just move the right stick quickly and observe the servo arms for both helis to see what I'm trying to convey. I'd say the v911 is 'crisper' is response, but the Helios can attain (and maintain) an angle of attack as steep as my v911's (stock flybar and paddled flybar), which is a pleasant surprise.
I noticed the lag also - but that might be do to the board. Others on this thread have stated that it was very quick on response. Are you getting the "porpoising" effect? I found that to be its biggest downfall.
Makdaddy is online now Find More Posts by Makdaddy
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:06 AM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
Makdaddy's Avatar
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Jul 2012
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHavoc View Post
The more I fly my Helios, the more I like it! I may drop one of my extra 9x rx in to see what it can do with the 9x radio!
I think you will like it. Being my original H100 board was limited in distance and I think Stonecutter is finding out that the board I sent him has a bit of a lag. He at least now he is able to fly it I found the V911 board to be very responsive.
Makdaddy is online now Find More Posts by Makdaddy
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:43 AM
Sir Crashalot
stonecutter's Avatar
Joined Oct 2011
2,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makdaddy View Post
I noticed the lag also - but that might be do to the board. Others on this thread have stated that it was very quick on response. Are you getting the "porpoising" effect? I found that to be its biggest downfall.
I noticed there is significant 'rocking' at the end of a manuever, especially FFF. My theory is that is due to an overly active flybar. The rocking is different from the pendulum I've observe on other helis, especially on the 9958, where I think is due to an overly active flybar + delayed corrective action. On the Helios I haven't seen any tendencies to pendulum, I think thanks to quicker flybar reaction.
stonecutter is online now Find More Posts by stonecutter
Last edited by stonecutter; Sep 24, 2012 at 11:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:58 PM
Sir Crashalot
stonecutter's Avatar
Joined Oct 2011
2,214 Posts
Short Indoor Flight

W/o the canopy the Helios is fairly quiet. Even though it is heavier than the v911, I find it still plenty agile. The control stick movement is more pronounced for the Helios tx compared to the v911's, so more work for the thumbs; but you quickly you get used to it.

BenMa Helios 100 short indoor flight (1 min 8 sec)
stonecutter is online now Find More Posts by stonecutter
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:30 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
SoloProFan's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,093 Posts
Indeed pretty agile, but I do worry a bit about the apparently twitchy rudder, when I get mine. Nice for making piros, but often not so convenient when you want to make wide turns in FFF outside. Is everyone's H100 having a twitchy tail or does it just appear so at the vid?
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:43 PM
Sir Crashalot
stonecutter's Avatar
Joined Oct 2011
2,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
Indeed pretty agile, but I do worry a bit about the apparently twitchy rudder, when I get mine. Nice for making piros, but often not so convenient when you want to make wide turns in FFF outside. Is everyone's H100 having a twitchy tail or does it just appear so at the vid?
It's no more twitchy than the v911; and it has more momentum, which should help in FFF and wide turns.
stonecutter is online now Find More Posts by stonecutter
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:46 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
FyreSG's Avatar
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,554 Posts
Both at high rate, I find that the Helios 100 rudder is more sensitive than that of the V911. It's noticebly harder (for me) to pull off wide banked turns at high rates with the Helios. Can someone explore modding the TX to reduce the rudder sensitivity (apply negative expo)?

But the highly sensitive rudder makes it easy to execute high speed piros. Nice.
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log helios build thread krikkens Hand Launch 66 Oct 24, 2012 08:28 PM
For Sale Helios DLG kits Wave Glider Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 1 Mar 06, 2012 10:09 PM
Discussion FW5 Vs. Helios DLG Launching Sound Beetle-Jet Hand Launch 20 Jan 09, 2012 01:12 AM
Sold Helios 90e pattern ship NIB tommy s Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Nov 24, 2011 10:25 PM
Sold Hyperion Helios 90 flyingtomg Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 5 Sep 15, 2011 09:04 AM