HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:22 PM
Deviant
sbstnp's Avatar
Joined Jul 2012
1,192 Posts
Posting this as a heads up, Walkera Devention transmitters are becoming some sort of universal, supporting multiple protocols mostly due to the effort of our fellow member PhracturedBlue.

So far Devo 8s and 6 are working with probably Devo 10 following.

More info at www.deviationtx.com

V911 (FlySky protocol) is working by canibalizing a WLToys tx and soldering the module into a Devo.
sbstnp is offline Find More Posts by sbstnp
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:38 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,291 Posts
why when you can just plug a flysky module into a $53 turnigy TX
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:44 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
RoboHeli's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
4,892 Posts
Yeah, if that's all you want to fly. The deviationtx is supposed to support all of Walkera's protocols, all of Nine Eagles protocols (Solo Pro 270 anyone???), DSM2/DSMX (ALL OF BLADE'S STUFF) and so on and so forth.

Might be a little while before it's as plug & play as er9x on a T9x, but this is definitely a project to watch!
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:46 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,291 Posts
I know a friends has the devo 12 , my question is though unless you already have one , why invest in the tx when you could buy a 9x and have multiple modules.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:49 PM
Deviant
sbstnp's Avatar
Joined Jul 2012
1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Might be a little while before it's as plug & play as er9x on a T9x, but this is definitely a project to watch!
It is plug-and-play, easier than er9x actually as Devo 6,8 and 10 have USB ports already installed and you can use original Walkera software to flash Deviation onto them.

Doesn't get much easier than this, not to mention all configs are INI files you can swap back and forth when setting TX as a USB drive connected to you computer.

Devo 8 and 6 are fully functional, too.

Edit:
Because Deviation does everything in software, you don't need modules, and some modules are not available AFAIK, like Nine Eagles. Exception is FlySky protocol which cannot be hadled by the RF chip planted into Devos.

And, if you do not have a nice TX yet, a Devo 8S is under $200, with a color touch screen. Can't beat that.
sbstnp is offline Find More Posts by sbstnp
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:53 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
RoboHeli's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
4,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbstnp View Post
It is plug-and-play, easier than er9x actually as Devo 6,8 and 10 have USB ports already installed and you can use original Walkera software to flash Deviation onto them.

Doesn't get much easier than this, not to mention all configs are INI files you can swap back and forth when setting TX as a USB drive connected to you computer.

Devo 8 and 6 are fully functional, too.

Edit:
Because Deviation does everything in software, you don't need modules, and some modules are not available AFAIK, like Nine Eagles.

Cool!!! I've got to go pay more attention to this. Quite honestly, I didn't even know that this project even existed until yesterday. I did see on their main page that they supported:

Nine Eagles J6 Pro (requires telemetry module)

not sure what that controls, but probably at least the CP helis that NE sells, maybe? (Don't have any of those myself so I'm not sure...)
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:55 PM
Deviant
sbstnp's Avatar
Joined Jul 2012
1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Cool!!! I've got to go pay more attention to this. Quite honestly, I didn't even know that this project even existed until yesterday. I did see on their main page that they supported:

Nine Eagles J6 Pro (requires telemetry module)

not sure what that controls, but probably at least the CP helis that NE sells, maybe? (Don't have any of those myself so I'm not sure...)
Means you need a Devo 8S or 6S, TX must have telemetry because NE needs it. I know PB is working on this. And yeah, CP helis from NE have this.
sbstnp is offline Find More Posts by sbstnp
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:58 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,291 Posts
If the screens are anything like the Devo 12 , well, theyre sh*te and thats putting it nicely lol
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:31 AM
Registered User
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,449 Posts
With more flying time on Helios its getting even better. Battery holds up well and bird flys very nice. Rudder is very quick and takes some use to smooth turns. Little TX is comfortable and works good enough. All in all this is a good deal if you are in the market for nice 4ch F/P bird.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:12 AM
The flightless bird
jameschen072's Avatar
Joined Aug 2004
2,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
With more flying time on Helios its getting even better. Battery holds up well and bird flys very nice. Rudder is very quick and takes some use to smooth turns. Little TX is comfortable and works good enough. All in all this is a good deal if you are in the market for nice 4ch F/P bird.
I'm glad that you like the Helios. The rudder does take some getting use to but once you are used to the controls, you can make very fine movements with it. I still fly mine quite often and I'm not saying it's perfect, but I'm starting to like it much more than most of my other 100 sized aircraft (besides the FBL ones I guess..)
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:18 PM
Sir Crashalot
stonecutter's Avatar
Joined Oct 2011
2,276 Posts
Helios 100 maiden flight

Thanks to Makdaddy, I got my Helios working, binding is instant as someone else mentioned. And my initial impression is very positive, plenty of power, smooth control resopnse, surprisingly agile w/ stock flybar (with weights). I think FyreSG said it is faster than the v911, I can believe that when compared to v911 w/ stock flybar, but not quicker in response compared to v911 w/ paddles. However, I see a lot of potential in the Helios as far as experimentiing w/ flybar configurations. I had only a few flights so far, but I'm really impressed. I have to order a few more batteries. I'd definitely recommend this to guys who like to fly the v911, it's got the flight characteristics that draw us to the v911, but different enough to be a new challenge. Yeah, the tx thing, as they say it comes with the territory.

Oh, btw, if you do buy it, I have no hesitation recommending BG, since they made good on my defective bird, they promised to send me another one.

Helios 100 maiden flight (2 min 1 sec)
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:24 PM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
Makdaddy's Avatar
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Jul 2012
1,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Thanks to Makdaddy, I got my Helios working, binding is instant as someone else mentioned. And my initial impression is very positive, plenty of power, smooth control resopnse, surprisingly agile w/ stock flybar (with weights). I think FyreSG said it is faster than the v911, I can believe that when compared to v911 w/ stock flybar, but not quicker in response compared to v911 w/ paddles. However, I see a lot of potential in the Helios as far as experimentiing w/ flybar configurations. I had only a few flights so far, but I'm really impressed. I have to order a few more batteries. I'd definitely recommend this to guys who like to fly the v911, it's got the flight characteristics that draw us to the v911, but different enough to be a new challenge. Yeah, the tx thing, as they say it comes with the territory.

Oh, btw, if you do buy it, I have no hesitation recommending BG, since they made good on my defective bird, they promised to send me another one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9GXjAgLcL0
So glad you got it flying - did you install the board? Remember I had limited range with that. Be careful if you take it outside.
Did not get a chance to fly today, too windy. Lost a 911 yesterday playing around with my 9x settings, not sure what happened it just kept going up, hit the kill switch but by that time the wind got a hold of it, lost site of it and then she was gone. Still got my Helios though .
Makdaddy is offline Find More Posts by Makdaddy
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:51 PM
Sir Crashalot
stonecutter's Avatar
Joined Oct 2011
2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makdaddy View Post
So glad you got it flying - did you install the board? Remember I had limited range with that. Be careful if you take it outside.
Did not get a chance to fly today, too windy. Lost a 911 yesterday playing around with my 9x settings, not sure what happened it just kept going up, hit the kill switch but by that time the wind got a hold of it, lost site of it and then she was gone. Still got my Helios though .
Yeah, I had to install the the board you'd sent me, evidently that was the bad OEM part. I'll keep the potential range issue in mind if and when I take it outside.

Too bad about your v911, time to stock up on v911 BNF's (I like the newer batches of yellows). I usually fly early morning if I fly outside, so less wind then.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:44 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
FyreSG's Avatar
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,585 Posts
From the video description: "... It can make really quick right turns, almost like a hockey stop...."

That's an interesting way to describe it.
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:32 PM
Sir Crashalot
stonecutter's Avatar
Joined Oct 2011
2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
From the video description: "... It can make really quick right turns, almost like a hockey stop...."

That's an interesting way to describe it.
Yeah, I guess that's one advantage of having an extra twitchy tail. I'm beginning to see why you like it even w/ stock flybar. It can track a desired trajectory (eespecially straight) better (due to ultra stable flybar) than a v911, IMO.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log helios build thread krikkens Hand Launch 66 Oct 24, 2012 09:28 PM
For Sale Helios DLG kits Wave Glider Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 1 Mar 06, 2012 11:09 PM
Discussion FW5 Vs. Helios DLG Launching Sound Beetle-Jet Hand Launch 20 Jan 09, 2012 02:12 AM
Sold Helios 90e pattern ship NIB tommy s Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Nov 24, 2011 11:25 PM
Sold Hyperion Helios 90 flyingtomg Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 5 Sep 15, 2011 10:04 AM