HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:01 PM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Jul 2012
1,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
I understand about T9X but it will not bind with Solo-pro/Walkera/BladeEtc. Thats passing on alot of really good helis. WL toys job well done but not only game in town. 9958 you need to reverse two channels. I'm sure there are many who do not have T9X nor care about them. I could care less about who will not buy certain helis because it will not bind with there cheap T9X. I have one and bought is as what it is a cheap 9ch radio. Anyway Helios 100 is an improved/refined V911 in my observation. Not better as the V911 is a fine heli and got many into active flying. The $20.00 bnf is impossible to beat for a good product. That said the Helios is aok and smooth flyer.
I agree the H100 is a smooth flyer. I have the best of both with the V911 board installed and fly both with my 9x. Just went out and few both today (got my skids in with connectors and wiring) and I still feel the V911 is better in the wind. Had some pretty good gust today and almost lost my V911 in a tree. The H100 just kept nose diving to keep FF. Crashed several times. Just not what I like for wind - too bouncy. Put her back in the case and continued to fly the V911. Overall I got my flying fix (is this an addiction?) My better half of 32 years plus thinks I am reverting back to my childhood. Come to think of it, maybe shes right .
Makdaddy is online now Find More Posts by Makdaddy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:10 PM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Jul 2012
1,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
THOSE 33$ are best invested in putting it towards an nCPX!!!
I too am wanting to get the Ncpx. Just ordered my smartieparts board, backlight from HK and will update my 9x with the hacked firmware. Plan on installing the TX board noted on Daryoons site so I can fly the Ncpx with my 9x. Things are looking up. Then again who knows when the CP from WLToys will arrive - I would like that also.
Makdaddy is online now Find More Posts by Makdaddy
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:11 PM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,278 Posts
Mentioning opinion on were we spend our money seems to be a hot topic, I amongst many others would rather use our more expansive equipment than constantly being forc d to purchase a new tx if we want to have specific heli.

Mentioning walkera was a bad idea, whilst I like their helis and in fact learnt on a 36 they have a lovely habit of changing transmitters leaving the end user high and dry.
scousethief is online now Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:22 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,573 Posts
I understand Walkera is another can of worm.

Horizon Hobby has switched protocol from DSM to DSM2. I don't hear ppl complaining about that so much. They must have done a better job with that.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:24 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,703 Posts
Yup, No right or wrong answers here, I don't think. Some people are "helicopter driven" and in order to have to have a certain CP helicopter, they are willing to shell out big bucks for a certain radio that operates it. Other people are "radio driven", they carefully select 1-2 radio and build their fleet around it. Both models have their merits. Some times it is a dollar driven sense.

I'm definitely in the radio driven group when I invested in my T9x. And with Daryoon's help, my T9x radio controls everything I own with one controller. That is just sweet! So, unless some manufacturer is coming out with a super, must-have, game-changing model, it would be hard to convince me to just get a radio for it.

Unfortunately, the Helios 100, while a good, affordable flyer, is not such super model. It is at best at par with some of the other models we already have. Therefore, it is a hard sell for that type of a commitment and get a unique toy radio to play with it.

The analogy is not a perfect one. But it is like I bought a great bluray disc player and own a bunch of bluray movies that play on it. If some company makes a movie on a proprietary HD format that requires me to buy a new player so that I could watch that one movie... I think the decision is obvious. I don't care if they make the new player dirt cheap, or even give one away with the purchase of the movie. I just don't want to find room in my system to put it, and extra cables to connect it. And that's how I feel about the Helios 100. Just my 2.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:57 PM
Flying mostly micro's
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
I don't regret buying the Helios 100 even though It caused me to have another TX I don't need. It really is a great flyer and the more I fly it & get used to it, the better I like it! It flies very much different than any of my V911's, much sportier. That being said I'm also happy that the v911 Rx drops in because I will most likely do that since I have a couple of new spares put away. Even if one would buy the V911 rx just for this mod ($12.99) I think it would still be a good deal for those who don't mind the extra useless tx lying around. The ideal thing would be a v911 Rx /Helios BNF combo for about $30. (Are you listening BangGood? You WILL SELL many more Helios 100's if you do this!!) imho.... Bob
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:22 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
I understand Walkera is another can of worm.

Horizon Hobby has switched protocol from DSM to DSM2. I don't hear ppl complaining about that so much. They must have done a better job with that.
I believe DSM2 radios are still compatible with DSM. That would explain it.

As a 9x owner, if I were in the market for another 45 degree flybar FP, I would be torn between the V911, which can be flown with the 9x, or the Helios, which can't, at least not without modding it to a V911 receiver first. These clones or partial clones really benefit from having another selling point, besides being cheap and fly well. It needs something that makes it shine out among the competition. The better transmitter option is what partially explains Horizon Hobby success. Had the mSR only been flyable with it's "Playstation" transmitter, instead of the DX series TX, I bet things would have been much different...

The Helios is a fine heli, I get the impression, but not perfect. I hear about diving in FF, and a pronounced porpoising effect. Perhaps some easy mods might cure this, but for now this is how it is.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:35 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
The Helios is a fine heli, I get the impression, but not perfect. I hear about diving in FF, and a pronounced porpoising effect. Perhaps some easy mods might cure this, but for now this is how it is.
After a high speed dive, do not let the elevator stick return to neutral fully. To slow down, release very slightly and very gradually. It should slow down without "porpoising". Personally, I prefer not slowing down at all - let the heli go round and round the field. It takes some practice to fly it continuously forward without stopping and without "porpoising".
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:21 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,303 Posts
Sounds more like it takes a little practice to avoid it.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:34 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,190 Posts
Bottom line Helios nice new heli. Looks good and flys nice. Bigger battery/ smoother/ and a tad more spirit add to the fun. Priced cheaper than RTF V911 but no bnf version available.sob..sob..bo hoo..All these 4ch helis are pretty good but must admit quads out fly them all. F/P has limited ability and you can just go so far with them.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:52 AM View Post
Ketan
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Cross-posting. Show it to me anyway.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:09 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,303 Posts
I begin to wonder how many of these 23 postings are about this vid? I've found it in the Solo Pro FAQ thread, the V911 thread, and here. Might be the tip of the iceberg....
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:43 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
I begin to wonder how many of these 23 postings are about this vid? I've found it in the Solo Pro FAQ thread, the V911 thread, and here. Might be the tip of the iceberg....
Yeah, well, as you can see, the moderators noticed as well.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:46 PM
Flying mostly micro's
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
Bottom line Helios nice new heli. Looks good and flys nice. Bigger battery/ smoother/ and a tad more spirit add to the fun. Priced cheaper than RTF V911 but no bnf version available.sob..sob..bo hoo..All these 4ch helis are pretty good but must admit quads out fly them all. F/P has limited ability and you can just go so far with them.
I agree with everything you just said! I've been getting more into the quads myself. Still having fun with my FP heli's but the quads are crazy fun!
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:10 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,190 Posts
Blue, your right on the money. Quads out fly F/P but enjoy them also. I have some interest in a few scale 100 size. All my 100 size have plenty of power and sure can handle a little more weight. I was going to order a V939 from Tmart but they say out of stock in USA. I do not want another long wait. Oh well, Helios is armed and ready..time to turn some air.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04