Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:05 PM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Jul 2012
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
@dankar04: It must be nice to have all these different models to fly with. Thanks for your observation.

@Makdaddy: Thanks for your additional input. Flying your unmodified V911 into the wind is impressive. I couldn't do it. The best I could do is to tack it like a sail boat into the wind and that's about it. But was it in another thread that I read you fly your V911 with the trim biased all the way forward? What happen when you do the same with the Helios?
I tried that and all it did was nose dive with little forward stick. I am not knocking the H100, it flies real nice in low to no wind. I did have issues with my 911 in wind at first, maybe I just need to fly the helios more to get a better feel for it. I am still working on the settings on my 9x. I think maybe the Helios is just to sensitive. I had it invert banking into the wind and you know how that ended up .

Update: BTW, I do not use full trim anymore - used to with the stock TX at normal or 60% mode but with the 9x I can adjust the tail to my likings. I think Ribble was the one who suggested that. He is the true wind surfer and as far a I know does not mod his either.
Makdaddy is online now Find More Posts by Makdaddy
Last edited by Makdaddy; Sep 18, 2012 at 01:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:19 PM
Finding Creative Ways To Crash
Joined Jun 2012
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
I flew my Helios 100/ T-Rex 100X/ V911/ 9958/ S/P 260A today to compare for myself. All indoors and same area.
dankar,

Could I talk you into trying this same comparison outdoors and in some wind? I still don't feel like anyone with the H100 has really given a definitive answer as to which one of these handles the wind better.

With that said, I think it will also depend on the particular V911 you own. In my case, I have 3 V911's and only two of them will fly in the wind. I'm really glad I didn't just buy 1 and have it be the one that didn't like the wind, because I'm pretty sure I would've given-up on the V911 all together.

I would really like to see someone with multiple V911's and H100 put their foot down and state which one is more capable of forward flight in the wind. I'm just sitting here on the fence ready to snatch one of these up.

Thanks,

-Pat
RCCrashTestDummy is offline Find More Posts by RCCrashTestDummy
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:46 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,365 Posts
At this time I only fly 100 sized birds in doors. My home or go to Cliub House that has large open area. They have AC fans blowing and there is a slight breeze 3/4 mph all the time as Tucson,Az. has hot climate. The Helios and T-Rex/ S/P 260A seem to handle air currents the best. They all handle the breeze but it is indoors and low flow. We all fly for our needs and I consider 4ch fixed pitch 100 sized heli a little to small for wind. I would use either FBL bird/mini Quad/ or 6ch C/P for outside regular flying. I know we all fly where we can and thats the way I fly. My friend was flying his Blade 120sr in 7-8mph wind and was hit with a gust that put his bird 40 feet up. He could not get foward flight and bird looked like a kite. Killed power and feel unto neighbors roof. Thats all I needed to see.
This post may not be help but feel Helios is as good if not better for some wind over the V911. I am talking pure stock.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:55 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,016 Posts
@rccrashtestdummy
No doubt. That's why I have another v911 coming. And a friend has a new one coming as well.

Perhaps I should try out JLK69's v911. He said his flies through the wind better than his 9958.

So, between all of us...we'll have a better sampling of the v911.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:19 PM
Flying mostly micro's
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
I flew my Helios 100/ T-Rex 100X/ V911/ 9958/ S/P 260A today to compare for myself. All indoors and same area.
1-Helios nice smooth and very good flyer/ handles nicely/
2-V911 flys well and holds and easiest to fly
3-T-Rex 100X Smoothness at its best. I can raise it to a hover from startup and flys excellent
4- 9958 slide master and hard to dial in but once you hit a good spot flys well.
5-S/P 260A nice agile/ fast little bird but quick.
I didn't include S/P 270 but it is nice like Helios but just a little slower.
I do not berate any of them my feeling on this is T-Rex 100X is best of what I have. Helios 100/ V911 and both S/P's are very good. 9958 while being a good flyer has real bad sliding/ drift issues. In larger area no real problem. I am sure the 9958 's main problem is defective TX. I have two 9958's and TX's do not work right. I bound one 9958 to T9X and vast improvement. V911 is much better deal.
I agree with your list except for the TREx only because I don't have one to compare My FP list would still be:
1. v911
2. Helios
3. 270a
4.260a
6.msrx (only because I'm still learning to fly it)
The Helios bumped my second fave 270a out of it's current position to third fave...lo l
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:11 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,433 Posts
Unsure how long it will last... but Helios 100 RTF is selling at 33.30 bucks now, at the usual place.
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:44 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
Unsure how long it will last... but Helios 100 RTF is selling at 33.30 bucks now, at the usual place.
Thanks to the 9x owners!
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:25 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,801 Posts
Quote:
Thanks to the 9x owners!
my fingers were itching ... a little bit! but I am not going to buy this heli ESPECIALLY for the reason you just brought up (again ... ...)
Not even for 33$!!!

(got way too many helis as is - and wont go fly outside ... so according to all reports I wont really see a difference anyway - AND would have to use some crappy gameboy toy transmitter ... ....)

THOSE 33$ are best invested in putting it towards an nCPX!!!

EDIT:
BUT ... I got the canopy, because that IS really
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:38 PM
Registered Addict
Bodø, Norway
Joined Mar 2007
848 Posts
Quote:
Thanks to the 9x owners!
Will it bind to a 9x?
Stigern is online now Find More Posts by Stigern
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:41 PM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Jul 2012
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigern View Post
Will it bind to a 9x?
Not stock - only if you install a V911 board.
Makdaddy is online now Find More Posts by Makdaddy
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigern View Post
Will it bind to a 9x?
No. If you have been following the discussion, you would notice that the 9x owners are refusing to open their wallet for the Helios, because they don't want a helicopter that would not work with the 9x radio. My statement basically contribute the price drop to the low sales due to the 9x owners holdout. An exaggerated statement on my part? Possibly. But true to a degree. I'm sure that the Helios would enjoy a much higher sales figure if it were 9x compatible.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:15 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,801 Posts
Quote:
No. If you have been following the discussion, you would notice that the 9x owners are refusing to open their wallet for the Helios, because they don't want a helicopter that would not work with the 9x radio. My statement basically contribute the price drop to the low sales due to the 9x owners holdout. An exaggerated statement on my part? Possibly. But true to a degree. I'm sure that the Helios would enjoy a much higher sales figure if it were 9x compatible.
Amen to that! I AM one of those people who usually HAVE to get the talked about cheap micros, because I want to physically know for myself.
THIS TIME I will not break down (well, I sort of did, because I ordered a couple spare canopies ...) and will RATHER put this money towards getting a NanoCPX!! (seems to make a LOT more sense to me ...)

oops -sorry, I saw I already mentioned this a few posts up, but I will gladly repeet it !
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:18 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,118 Posts
E2, you are weak! But you're forgiven. LOL
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:26 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,365 Posts
I understand about T9X but it will not bind with Solo-pro/Walkera/BladeEtc. Thats passing on alot of really good helis. WL toys job well done but not only game in town. 9958 you need to reverse two channels. I'm sure there are many who do not have T9X nor care about them. I could care less about who will not buy certain helis because it will not bind with there cheap T9X. I have one and bought is as what it is a cheap 9ch radio. Anyway Helios 100 is an improved/refined V911 in my observation. Not better as the V911 is a fine heli and got many into active flying. The $20.00 bnf is impossible to beat for a good product. That said the Helios is aok and smooth flyer.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:59 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,016 Posts
This is my personal opinion of course...

When a Heli is popular, you see a bigger community grow around said Heli and thus the peer to peer support as well as performance mods are all better as a result.

So personally, I do care when things like no upgrade path to better transmitters means that the more hobby oriented among us are not picking up the Heli to add to their fleet.

Therefore, in the end, it's a lost for the manufacturer, a lost for the owner, and a lost for those who shun it and never give it a chance.

As far as Nine Eagles and Walkera and the like that have their own TX protocol, I put them in a different league than these cheap clone manufacturer that are stumbling over each other to market the "cloned."

Just another perspective to the friendly discussion.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon