HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:08 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makdaddy View Post
Flew the H100 again today, it flys pretty good with very little or no wind but it can't handle near the wind. that the V911 can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrivest View Post
I got my Helios in today. I was anxious to take it for a flight so I charged the batteries and took it outside. There was a bit of wind, maybe 10 km/h. I was surprised at how well it could fly against the wind! I was able to hover it and fight against the wind quite easily so I decided to take it for a bit of a circuit....it was flying better than my V911's that just can't handle the lightest breeze....
I'm a bit puzzled here, one saying the V911 can handle wind much better than the Helios, and one completely the opposite...
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:31 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,167 Posts
Guys, try moving the cyclic stick to observe the swashplate movement. Do you feel it moves smoother as compared to the V911?
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:35 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
I'm a bit puzzled here, one saying the V911 can handle wind much better than the Helios, and one completely the opposite...
Question is: Are we comparing apples with apples - meaning that are both helicopters in stock configuration. Sometimes, owners forget to mention that they v911 was heavily modded. I've consistently read about how owners made the V911 so nose heavy to fight wind that it couldn't even stop going forward. So, I'm just wondering...

When you state your impression about one helicopter versus another, please state if there had been any mod done to it?
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:38 AM
Canada, QC, Malartic
Joined Sep 2010
378 Posts
I have tried stock v911, slightly modded v911, fully modded v911 with MSR paddles, etc. The fully modded v911 with the paddles was decent in the wind but not nearly as good as a solo pro 260. The stock v911 performed very poorly outdoors in the slightest breeze. My (very brief) flight outdoors with the stock Helios was as good as a solo pro 260 outdoors in the wind. The biggest problem is the range, about 30-50 feet before loosing connection . I'll try to check it again however the forecast is for rain for the next few days and I would like to try my v911 board on it and rainy days make the the ideal modding days.
gwrivest is offline Find More Posts by gwrivest
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:54 AM
United Kingdom, Belper
Joined Jan 2011
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makdaddy View Post
No harder then installing it on a V911. You do have to know how to solder real small stuff. Screw holes line right up as well as the servos. Drop in really.
Which bits do you have to solder?
edk83 is offline Find More Posts by edk83
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:37 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,493 Posts
I wonder why there are such different opinions of the v911 and it's wind handling abilities.

Some people thinks it flies well in the wind. Better than the 9958. Stock for stock. However, my experience is that it doesn't penetrate the wind at all. I'll literally hit a wind wall and at full forward, it's just get stuck there or dive to the ground.

I've flown Heli pad's v911 and it behaves the same way. I purchased a new white v911 and when it arrives, I will test if it's any better.

In fact, the Solo Pro 260 that the v911 was based on didn't have much ability to penetrate the wind.

So it's curious that some v911 actually performs better in the wind. I wonder why?

I also have a Helios flybar coming, so I'll test to see if it makes the v911 perform any better.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:46 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
I wonder why there are such different opinions of the v911 and it's wind handling abilities.

Some people thinks it flies well in the wind. Better than the 9958. Stock for stock. However, my experience is that it doesn't penetrate the wind at all. I'll literally hit a wind wall and at full forward, it's just get stuck there or dive to the ground.

I've flown Heli pad's v911 and it behaves the same way. I purchased a new white v911 and when it arrives, I will test if it's any better.

In fact, the Solo Pro 260 that the v911 was based on didn't have much ability to penetrate the wind.

So it's curious that some v911 actually performs better in the wind. I wonder why?

I also have a Helios flybar coming, so I'll test to see if it makes the v911 perform any better.
This might be a stupid question, but did you have it on full rates? I feel that mine has no problem getting through quite a bit of wind at all..
Or it might be that yours wasn't set up correctly at the factory...
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:02 AM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Jul 2012
1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edk83 View Post
Which bits do you have to solder?
Main and tail motors, battery and antenna. 7 points all together.
Makdaddy is online now Find More Posts by Makdaddy
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:13 AM
Joined Jul 2012
1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
I guess it could be flying styles, I surf the wind with the 911 and the helios to get ff you have to push it more than the 911 as it seems to be bottom heavy. If you get the H100 too ff in wind, it will nose dive which requires reducing ff then you get the porposing effect in which the wind will grab it and drag it backwards. At least that is my experence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Question is: Are we comparing apples with apples - meaning that are both helicopters in stock configuration. Sometimes, owners forget to mention that they v911 was heavily modded. I've consistently read about how owners made the V911 so nose heavy to fight wind that it couldn't even stop going forward. So, I'm just wondering...

When you state your impression about one helicopter versus another, please state if there had been any mod done to it?
My V911 fleet is unmodified. My H100 is modified with a V911 board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
This might be a stupid question, but did you have it on full rates? I feel that mine has no problem getting through quite a bit of wind at all..
Or it might be that yours wasn't set up correctly at the factory...
I am using the same setting on my 9x as my V911 - 120% on servo throws.
Like I said before, maybe it is my flying style. When flying in wind I usually try to keep it low (below 20 foot) so the winds will not take it away.
I find the helios does not cut through the wind as well as the V911. The wind seems to want to push the nose up more causing you to add more FF and then if too much it will nose dive. Hard to find the happy medium for me where you get forward momentum without nose diving. To much proposing.
Last edited by Makdaddy; Sep 18, 2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:19 AM
Joined Jul 2012
1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrivest View Post
I got my Helios in today. I was anxious to take it for a flight so I charged the batteries and took it outside. There was a bit of wind, maybe 10 km/h. I was surprised at how well it could fly against the wind! I was able to hover it and fight against the wind quite easily so I decided to take it for a bit of a circuit. As soon as it was about 10 meters away it lost the connection to the tx. I was really hoping this would be a good bird to fly Too bad because while it was connected it was flying better than my V911's that just can't handle the lightest breeze. I guess I'll have to try a V911 board in it to see if it will fly as good against the wind. I somehow doubt it though. I think the servos on the Helios have more throw than the ones on the V911 but that's just a guess though. I suppose there's only one way to know for sure.

Gerard.
Check to make sure you have an antenna (mine was missing). If not it is a bad board. Same problem I had with it. There seems to be plenty of throw with the servos on the H100 with the V911 board for me.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:27 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,752 Posts
I flew my Helios 100/ T-Rex 100X/ V911/ 9958/ S/P 260A today to compare for myself. All indoors and same area.
1-Helios nice smooth and very good flyer/ handles nicely/
2-V911 flys well and holds and easiest to fly
3-T-Rex 100X Smoothness at its best. I can raise it to a hover from startup and flys excellent
4- 9958 slide master and hard to dial in but once you hit a good spot flys well.
5-S/P 260A nice agile/ fast little bird but quick.
I didn't include S/P 270 but it is nice like Helios but just a little slower.
I do not berate any of them my feeling on this is T-Rex 100X is best of what I have. Helios 100/ V911 and both S/P's are very good. 9958 while being a good flyer has real bad sliding/ drift issues. In larger area no real problem. I am sure the 9958 's main problem is defective TX. I have two 9958's and TX's do not work right. I bound one 9958 to T9X and vast improvement. V911 is much better deal.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:51 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,493 Posts
I have it in high rates. That's the only way I fly because in low rates, it's very slow. No cyclic authority at all.

I also like to fly low if possible. Takes some warming up first.

Those that have downloaded my v911 EEPE will know that I have things cranked to the max and very sensitive center sticks. Makes the heli respond quickly to my command inputs.

I love to get the FP flying like a laser through the wind. That's how the flybarless mSR X feels. I know this isn't exactly possible. But I'd like to make some headway into the wind. Not get stopped by a virtual wall.

I'll experiment with all this under more controlled situation when the new v911 arrives.

@dankar04:
Nice summary and observation. Thanks!

p.s. Could you give your opinion on what looks the best to you? (Opening new can of worms. But there's not enough discussion about looks.)
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:12 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,752 Posts
I like them all but Rate the T-Rex 100X as best looking/ then Helios 100/ S/P 270A as pretty close/ V911/S/P 260A/9958 after , but find them all good looking. My S/P 270 is red and white/ S/P 260A is yellow and white/ V911 is black/orange/ 9958 is purplle/ yellow.
I did not list my Walkrea Y-6. This and my T-Rex 100X are my 100 sized joys. The Y-6 matched with Devo 7 is drop dead pure fun !! It handles so smooth and percise I am estatic about it. Yes its that good. Walkrea has improved their line and having a very good time with them. The rest are toppings on the cake. You can have your cake and eat it to . I sold a portion of my fixed wing items and more than paid for my current heli fleet. Engine parts I have collected and recently sold brought in much more than I thought. Pays to read forums as many vintage flyers out there. Anyway its all good.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:51 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,633 Posts
@dankar04: It must be nice to have all these different models to fly with. Thanks for your observation.

@Makdaddy: Thanks for your additional input. Flying your unmodified V911 into the wind is impressive. I couldn't do it. The best I could do is to tack it like a sail boat into the wind and that's about it. But was it in another thread that I read you fly your V911 with the trim biased all the way forward? What happen when you do the same with the Helios?
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:23 AM
Joined Jan 2012
204 Posts
My V911 will fly against a steady 5 mph wind just fine. This is only possible at full throttle on high rates but it surprised me the first time how well it cut through the wind given its size and weight. I've tried once during what I would guess was a 10 mph breeze and no that didn't work out so hot.
Killer Bee is offline Find More Posts by Killer Bee