HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:01 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,270 Posts
I use the Helios paddles on the V911 , it makes it a much more responsive heli.

It would be interesting to see if the connecting ball links etc fit the V911, even though the tiny amount of sanding required only takes a minute.

Its no surprise that the blades are a drop in fit , id be surprised if the rest isnt.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:52 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,640 Posts
Well Helios arrived late afternoon today. Same USB cord as 9958 so you can charge from TX or computer. Batteries are charging and give it a flight. I had the feeling it would show up today. I recieved three different parts orders yesterday. Comes with spare baldes/ tail blade/ small screw driver and usb cord/ instruction/TX. Langing gear looks pretty strong. Built much like V911 with bigger battery and paddels instead of flybar. Glad it made it after four weeks.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:19 PM
Flying mostly micro's
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
Well Helios arrived late afternoon today. Same USB cord as 9958 so you can charge from TX or computer. Batteries are charging and give it a flight. I had the feeling it would show up today. I recieved three different parts orders yesterday. Comes with spare baldes/ tail blade/ small screw driver and usb cord/ instruction/TX. Langing gear looks pretty strong. Built much like V911 with bigger battery and paddels instead of flybar. Glad it made it after four weeks.
Congrats! Hope you enjoy it!
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:44 PM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
Well Helios arrived late afternoon today. Same USB cord as 9958 so you can charge from TX or computer.
Hmm. I have a 9958 and the usb charger that came with it puffed 2 of my UM batteries. I have about 35 of these batteries because I have 5 UM planes and a 9958. Never have I had a puffed 1S until I used the 9958 charger connected to my computer. First puffed battery was charging from my computer at home and the second one was charging from my computer at work.

Let's hope it doesn't do that!
GooberSB is online now Find More Posts by GooberSB
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:18 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,437 Posts
Goober, my guess is it will. You were using the 9958 charger improperly BTW.

The 9958 charger relies on the protection circuit in the LiPo to turn off the charge current. Using it with LiPo that doesn't have this protection circuit built in will overcharge the LiPo as you have witnessed personally.

Helios owners would have to see if this situation is the same with the Helios charging cable.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Last edited by Daryoon; Sep 15, 2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:23 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,640 Posts
I have used 9958 usb cord for 6 months and never puffed a battery. I used one on Helios battery and fine, other one used usb cord that came with Helios. My TV system has usb connection besides my computer. Charged both at same time and they went off at almost same time.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:00 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,608 Posts
Important!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberSB View Post
Hmm. I have a 9958 and the usb charger that came with it puffed 2 of my UM batteries. I have about 35 of these batteries because I have 5 UM planes and a 9958. Never have I had a puffed 1S until I used the 9958 charger connected to my computer. First puffed battery was charging from my computer at home and the second one was charging from my computer at work.

Let's hope it doesn't do that!
Goober, if you're doing that, you are missing something very very important. Daryoon is right about what he said. Please go back and read the first couple posts of the 9958 thread. The safety of charging has been discussed several times already. The 9958 USB cable is for 9958 batteries only. It will puff your UM and other similar batteries. Please do not try that again. If after reading the post and you still have questions, please let us know.

Helios owners, I'm not sure if there is overcharge protection on the Helios batteries either. The Helios battery is wrapped in silver tape. Hard to tell if the PCB is there or not. So, until more could be said there, please avoid using 9958 USB cable to charge it. It could be a very dangerous combination. When in doubt, always use what comes with your model.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:36 AM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Goober, if you're doing that, you are missing something very very important. Daryoon is right about what he said. Please go back and read the first couple posts of the 9958 thread. The safety of charging has been discussed several times already. The 9958 USB cable is for 9958 batteries only. It will puff your UM and other similar batteries. Please do not try that again. If after reading the post and you still have questions, please let us know.

Helios owners, I'm not sure if there is overcharge protection on the Helios batteries either. The Helios battery is wrapped in silver tape. Hard to tell if the PCB is there or not. So, until more could be said there, please avoid using 9958 USB cable to charge it. It could be a very dangerous combination. When in doubt, always use what comes with your model.

Thanks for the information guys. I read the 9958 posts about the usb charger and see what you mean. It only took 2 puffed lipos to convince me not to use it anymore. I use my regular balance charger but sometimes I want to just use the small ones that come with the model instead of getting out the main charger.

I had no idea that the black plastic cap on the battery had a lipo cutoff circuit in there. I was using my other UM batteries because they are a little smaller and also have 160mah capacity.
GooberSB is online now Find More Posts by GooberSB
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:00 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,608 Posts
Goober, I'm glad that you understand the difference, and I'm glad that the only bad result was 2 puffed batteries. If you had let it on long enough... it could've been much worse.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:59 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,640 Posts
Today I flew my brandy new Helios 100. No sliding like the TBE King 9958. Heli is very smooth with very good power. Handles very well, but push stick foward be ready as it moves out right now. Needs to be adjust as to much foward speed even with lower power setting. Handles nice and hate to admit it but wait was worth it. I may just order another, but four + weeks I don't know. TX not crazy about but it works and does the job. This is well worth getting and if you fly one you will want one. Good job Benma, hope you do well with it. I knew this was going to be a very nice little bird. Anybody know owner let him know he did it right. Those paddels do make a difference. I have a bunch of 100 sized heli and like them all. Different brands and all a little different flying but all are good flyers.
Last edited by dankar04; Sep 16, 2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:25 PM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Jul 2012
1,315 Posts
Flew the H100 again today, it flys pretty good with very little or no wind but it can't handle near the wind. that the V911 can.
All of my V911s are down at the moment, skids are my main problem. Just can't get the old connectors in the new skids (seems like they are not molded properly as the connectors only can go in the wrong end.).
Anyways the H100 will stay in my collection. Just need something better for moderate wind flight.
Been trying to get the settings right on the 9x, still working on it. Ordered a smartieparts board for it. The stock firmware is a real pain.
Makdaddy is online now Find More Posts by Makdaddy
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:04 AM
United Kingdom, Belper
Joined Jan 2011
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makdaddy View Post
Flew the H100 again today, it flys pretty good with very little or no wind but it can't handle near the wind. that the V911 can.
All of my V911s are down at the moment, skids are my main problem. Just can't get the old connectors in the new skids (seems like they are not molded properly as the connectors only can go in the wrong end.).
Anyways the H100 will stay in my collection. Just need something better for moderate wind flight.
Been trying to get the settings right on the 9x, still working on it. Ordered a smartieparts board for it. The stock firmware is a real pain.
How much effort was it to fit the v911 board?

Tempted if its an easy install.
edk83 is offline Find More Posts by edk83
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:23 AM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Jul 2012
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edk83 View Post
How much effort was it to fit the v911 board?

Tempted if its an easy install.
No harder then installing it on a V911. You do have to know how to solder real small stuff. Screw holes line right up as well as the servos. Drop in really.
Makdaddy is online now Find More Posts by Makdaddy
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:32 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,270 Posts
the easier mod is just to place the flybar and skids onto a V911.................................solder in a battery connector and your away.

I may buy the Helios motors and see if they make any difference to the already great flying V911.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:49 PM
Canada, QC, Malartic
Joined Sep 2010
378 Posts
I got my Helios in today. I was anxious to take it for a flight so I charged the batteries and took it outside. There was a bit of wind, maybe 10 km/h. I was surprised at how well it could fly against the wind! I was able to hover it and fight against the wind quite easily so I decided to take it for a bit of a circuit. As soon as it was about 10 meters away it lost the connection to the tx. I was really hoping this would be a good bird to fly Too bad because while it was connected it was flying better than my V911's that just can't handle the lightest breeze. I guess I'll have to try a V911 board in it to see if it will fly as good against the wind. I somehow doubt it though. I think the servos on the Helios have more throw than the ones on the V911 but that's just a guess though. I suppose there's only one way to know for sure.

Gerard.
gwrivest is offline Find More Posts by gwrivest