HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:12 AM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Jul 2012
1,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
As for pure speed and "swooping" outside, would the Helios be a match for the 9958 or is that still the fastest in this 45 degree sub micro class?
I am not sure if this was directed to me but I do not own a 9958 to comment on.
Makdaddy is offline Find More Posts by Makdaddy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:51 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,585 Posts
I don't have 9958 too.
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:57 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,742 Posts
Get one, guys! 9958 was my first 4ch FP micro. It's a good heli, by no means perfect. I love it for what it is. And it has tremendous mod potentials. It is a fast helicopter. FP have come a long way since then. If you have invested into the Helios, I am not convinced that you should buy a 9958. They are similar, yet different. Tx are incompatible. If you really want to do some comparison yourself, get one. If not, stay away, and concentrate your effort on the new model.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Sep 14, 2012, 02:22 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,591 Posts
I was wondering, because my 9958 is acting up lately, so I could either forget it, get a new one, or get a Helios instead. But it has to be different enough from my current helis, Bravo SX, Solo Pro 260 and 270, to warrant a purchase. The 9958 is very different, and a real "swooping" heli in stock form. Fast, a little less controllable, and very quiet.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Sep 14, 2012, 02:36 PM
Finding Creative Ways To Crash
Joined Jun 2012
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
@RCCrashTestDummy
Thanks for the heads-up Daryoon! I just sent him a PM.

-Pat
RCCrashTestDummy is offline Find More Posts by RCCrashTestDummy
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:58 PM
Flying mostly micro's
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Hi guys! I just got my Helios today & here are my observations so far after flying both packs:
1. The blade style is almost exactly like the solo pro & v911, but for the fact that they are unfortunately brittle as on the 9958 When I was on the second pack I barely tapped something and they flew to pieces. If the v911 blades could be used they would be a better alternative as they are not as brittle.
2. It flies very nicely I have to say Not as docile as the v911 but almost as durable in every way but the blades. It will be a lot of fun for me at the stage I'm at as a pilot, it's fast and agile and a bit more challenging and fun to fly. I can't wait to take this down to my LHS indoor area and let it rip with some space.!
3. Even on low rates it was pretty squirrelly for indoors. I could control it OK because of my experience but a novice would be smacking into a lot of things in a small room until they got the feel for it.
5. On high rates it comes alive! it's fast and very agile.
6. The so called paddles were a disappointment. nothing more really than a flybar shaped differently. It even has the wet noodle effect we all are so familiar with on the v911 . and mine was warped in 2 directions out of the box!
7. The Tx was small but nice & the rubberized feel was nice.
8. . The tail motor sucks. (on mine anyway) very slow piros compared to my v911's and the response is slow to the stick .
9.I like what they did with the battery holder, it has a sticky pad on the inside to help hold the battery in place. I don't know how long it will last but it works great, the battery never budged in any crash!
10. This is a very nice heli for the price range and slightly more challenging to those of us looking to improve our fp skills. Like all heli's it has it's issues, namely the brittle main blades & crappy tail motor but considering the cost it's a great little heli & I don't regret buying it. Think souped up v911. with slightly brittle main blades, otherwise it's quite durable.
11. Aaron if you read this please tell the folks at BG to please stop putting those horribly ugly damn BG stickers on everything. They ruin the looks of stuff & are nearly impossible to remove!! They had them on the heli & the TX!!
12. That's about it for now, I'll update as I discover anything newsworthy! - Bob
13. Afterthought: If the blades can be made from a less brittle material (such as the V911 blades) this thing would probably be as indestructable as the v911! James if you read this maybe pass that info along? thanks! This heli has much potential for a lot of fun!
14. Update: The v911 blade set is a direct drop in replacement for the Helios blades! And much less brittle
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Last edited by BlueHavoc; Sep 14, 2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:13 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,276 Posts
BlueHavoc, when you say it feels like a "souped up v911", do you mean it has a stronger motor (more thrust from rotor)?
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Last edited by stonecutter; Sep 14, 2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:42 PM
Flying mostly micro's
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
BlueHavoc, when you say it feels like a "souped up v911", do you mean it has a stronger motor (more thrust from rotor)?
I would say a bit stronger, faster and definitely set up to be more sporty as far agility wise in the way it responds to the sticks. I'm not happy with tail motor on mine but I'll get used to it. Plus the prospect of using one of my new v911 RX 's in it to use with my 9x makes me think this heli has some potential for real fun... and that would probably help with the tail motor issue on mine The way it flew reminded me of a cross between the v911 and the 9958 without the slidey action... very quick and agile
Last edited by BlueHavoc; Sep 14, 2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:54 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHavoc View Post
Hi guys! I just got my Helios today & here are my observations so far after flying both packs:
1. The blade style is almost exactly like the solo pro but for the fact that they are unfortunatley brittle as on the 9958 When I was on the second pack I barely tapped something and they flew to pieces. If the solo pro blades could be used they would be a better alternative as they are not as brittle.
2. It flies very nicely I have to say Not as docile as the v911 but almost as durable in every way but the blades. It will be a lot of fun for me at the stage I'm at as a pilot, it's fast and agile and a bit more challenging and fun to fly. I can't wait to take this down to my LHS indoor area and let it rip with some space.!
3. Even on low rates it was pretty squirrely for indoors. I could control it ok because of my experience but a novice would be smacking into a lot of things in a small room until they got the feel for it.
5. On high rates it comes alive! it's fast and very agile.
6. The so called paddles were a dissapointment. nothing more really than a flybar shaped differently. It even has the wet noodle effect we all are so familiar with on the v911. and mine was warped in 2 directions out of the box!
7. The Tx was small but nice & the rubberized feel was nice.
8. . The tail motor sucks. (on mine anyway) very slow piros compared to my v911's and the response is slow to the stick.
9.I like what they did with the battery holder, it has a sticky pad on the inside to help hold the battery in place. I don't know how long it will last but it works great, the battery never budged in any crash!
10. This is a very nice heli for the price range and slightly more challenging to those of us looking to improve our fp skills. Like all heli's it has it's issues, namely the brittle main blades & crappy tail motor but considering the cost it's a great little heli & I don't regret buying it. Think suped up v911. with slightly brittle mainblades, othwise it's quite durable.
11. Aaron if you read this please tell the folks at BG to please stop putting those horribly ugly damn BG stckers on everything. They ruin the looks of stuff & are nearly impossible to remove!! They had them on the heli & the TX!!
12. That's about it for now, I'll update as I discover anything newsworthy! - Bob
BH, Thank you for that write up. It sounded like the rotor is even more brittle than my 9958's, because I haven't shattered any 9958 blades so far. Since the rotor design is similar to the v911's, do you think the Helios would benefit from some V911 blades?

I seems to me that everyone has been disappointed by the Helios paddles, which is hard for me to dismiss. I wonder why there is so much difference between weighted flybars and paddles (whether good or bad, just different) in almost every other applications, but these paddles are not?!??

The piro rate on the V911 is almost unmatched, except for the mSR, I guess. The piro rate on the 9958s is very slow, too.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:48 PM
Canada, QC, Malartic
Joined Sep 2010
381 Posts
Thanks Bob for your impressions. It's starting to sound as if my little Sun Bird wont be quite as bad as I was starting to expect. If it ever gets here that is.

Gerard.
gwrivest is offline Find More Posts by gwrivest
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:48 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,449 Posts
I wacked and smacked my first 9958 something bad and never damaged a blade.
Only damage to my first 9958 is bad tail motor and have one coming. I only going to fix it because it held up to my first efforts and does fly well if given enough room. I have hit those blades many times hard and they are fine.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:02 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,449 Posts
I recieved two different parts orders from China today from other vendors, plus another order from USA vendor, maybe tomorror Helios will show. Seems like this stuff shows up all at once. I have T-Rex 100X/ 9958/V911/ S/P260A/S/P270A and can give it a fair shake and compare.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:03 PM
Flying mostly micro's
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
BH, Thank you for that write up. It sounded like the rotor is even more brittle than my 9958's, because I haven't shattered any 9958 blades so far. Since the rotor design is similar to the v911's, do you think the Helios would benefit from some V911 blades?

I seems to me that everyone has been disappointed by the Helios paddles, which is hard for me to dismiss. I wonder why there is so much difference between weighted flybars and paddles (whether good or bad, just different) in almost every other applications, but these paddles are not?!??

The piro rate on the V911 is almost unmatched, except for the mSR, I guess. The piro rate on the 9958s is very slow, too.
The blades themselves didn't break but they broke on both sides where the screws go in, just snapped right off on BOTH sides. very brittle.

I agree completely about the piro rate, the v911 is unmatched by any of my other birds.

I'm going to try a set of my v911 blades right now, it looks like a drop in replacement, if so, it will make this heli much better as far as the durability because the rest of this guy is robust
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:05 PM
Flying mostly micro's
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrivest View Post
Thanks Bob for your impressions. It's starting to sound as if my little Sun Bird wont be quite as bad as I was starting to expect. If it ever gets here that is.

Gerard.
I think you will enjoy it very much with a couple of small tweaks, it's very nice!
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:07 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,625 Posts
BlueHavoc, there is a bit of contradiction in your statement. Could you clarify for us?

You initially said the Helios blade is like the Solo Pro.

And now you said you will try the v911 blade.

The difference between the Solo pro and v911 is that the latter has larger hole for the blade pivots pins. Cuz on the v911's head, those blade pivot pins are bigger than on the Solo Pro.

Could you let me know if the Helios uses the Solo Pro size pivot pins or the v911 size? I have some coming my way and thus the curiosity.

Thanks.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon