HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2012, 09:58 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
5,490 Posts
Great to hear James.

I think them moving to independent servos is to make it easier to produce. I think the onboard servo they got going now has a higher DOA rate. I got two boards out of the four that has issues with servo upon arrival. It's due to the middle pin being connected to the plate inside the servo which the resistative arm touches. Heating too much on that center pin melts the plastic arm.

Anyways, these guys need to just stick with the FlySky protocol for all helis. Then they will get the RC hobbyist money because it's similar to the model Blade heli employs with their Spektrum DSM2 line. Allow for the hobbyist to keep buying new and stepping up to bigger birds because they have bought into the Spektrum system.

So I hope their FBL heli will be FlySky compatible.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2012, 10:02 AM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
So just will the V911 Rx in the 100 model be a upgraded version with plug n play connectors & overcurrent protection, etc?
Brosol is offline Find More Posts by Brosol
Old May 31, 2012, 10:26 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,000 Posts
Independent Servo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
... decided to go with 100 and 100S, the S being the one with independent servos...
Helios 100S... Woooh sounds similar to Align Trex 100S?

In any case, what's the benefit of "independent servos"? Why would someone prefer Helios 100S over Helios 100? Is the current V911 independent servo? (On further reading, I think it means that the servos are removal for easy replacement. As such, I don't think it improves stability or the flying experience).
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old May 31, 2012, 10:50 AM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Anyways, these guys need to just stick with the FlySky protocol for all helis. Then they will get the RC hobbyist money because it's similar to the model Blade heli employs with their Spektrum DSM2 line. Allow for the hobbyist to keep buying new and stepping up to bigger birds because they have bought into the Spektrum system.

So I hope their FBL heli will be FlySky compatible.
Another example is how the Blade MQX is also Spektrum DSM2 compatible.
Brosol is offline Find More Posts by Brosol
Old May 31, 2012, 11:59 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Infidel View Post
The popularity of the V911 is due to durability, dirt cheap prices, and stability. I don't have a 9x, which isn't compatible with my Genius or Nine Eagles brands.
That's why I said I estimate half of it's popularity is due to it's 9x compatibility. Don't underestimate the power of having one transmitter for all your helis. It's partially what causes blade owners to be so loyal to their brand. They just get a BnF package, be it a plane, a heli, set up the model in the memory of the TX, and fly. The things you mention are likely the other half of reasons that explain why the V911 is so popular. You forgot one, however, it's based upon a good design to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
Helios 100S... Woooh sounds similar to Align Trex 100S?

In any case, what's the benefit of "independent servos"? Why would someone prefer Helios 100S over Helios 100? Is the current V911 independent servo? (On further reading, I think it means that the servos are removal for easy replacement. As such, I don't think it improves stability or the flying experience).
My thoughts exactly. Not another 100S please!!! Just the name brings shivers down many pilot's spine...
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2012, 12:40 PM
9958 gave me the toilet bowl
United States, IL, Rockford
Joined Jan 2012
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
I estimate half of it's popularity is due to it's 9x compatibility.
Half is an outrageous estimate. I'll bet you've never sampled V911 owners.
Proud Infidel is offline Find More Posts by Proud Infidel
Old May 31, 2012, 12:41 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
5,996 Posts
Quote:
That's why I said I estimate half of it's popularity is due to it's 9x compatibility. Don't underestimate the power of having one transmitter for all your helis. It's partially what causes blade owners to be so loyal to their brand. They just get a BnF package, be it a plane, a heli, set up the model in the memory of the TX, and fly. The things you mention are likely the other half of reasons that explain why the V911 is so popular. You forgot one, however, it's based upon a good design to begin with.

My thoughts exactly. Not another 100S please!!! Just the name brings shivers down many pilot's spine...
I am not sure about whether Turnigy compatibility really plays such a big role with their overall sales. For a start, they don't advertise it and nor does the 9958 or Trex 100. Most of their sales are likely to occur on the streets rather than through the Internet where the buyer is likely to be a newbie who ust doesn't care. The V911 is dominant in Hong Kong right but very few has a FrySky / Turnigy transmitter over here.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old May 31, 2012, 12:41 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,069 Posts
With so much excitement and anticipation over this new heli, what are you guys willing to pay for it? Assuming it has an v911 rx for those concerned about compatibility.

Common sense says it's got to be over $40, since that's the price for a v911, and I don't think WL toys will stop making those (I am assuming Benma/WL are collaborators). My own threshold is probably around $50 for RTF, $30 for BNF.
stonecutter is online now Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old May 31, 2012, 12:56 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
5,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
Apparently there are 3 helis that are going to be in the initial Helios family... the 100, 110 and the 120. The 100 and 110 are the same, but one will have the V911 RX and the other will have the Helios RX. The 120 is not compatible with the 9X but has all the other improvements that are on the 100. Hope that makes sense..does that make sense?
The 120 will be interesting. Let's see whether Blade will be forced to discontinue 120SR as they have done for the MSR.

With the WL ladybird coming and the release of FBL FPs, the net is slowly closing in on the big three: Blade, Walkera and Nine Eagles.
Old May 31, 2012, 01:04 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Infidel View Post
Half is an outrageous estimate. I'll bet you've never sampled V911 owners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I am not sure about whether Turnigy compatibility really plays such a big role with their overall sales. For a start, they don't advertise it and nor does the 9958 or Trex 100. Most of their sales are likely to occur on the streets rather than through the Internet where the buyer is likely to be a newbie who ust doesn't care. The V911 is dominant in Hong Kong right but very few has a FrySky / Turnigy transmitter over here.
An estimate is an estimate. It's not exact science. It could very well be less, no doubt. On the other hand, when a heli is not compatible with an established transmitter brand, it's often mentioned as a drawback. Nine Eagles has been often criticized for it, as well as other brands. Not everyone want a heap of different transmitters at home. Perhaps it's not as much a deal-maker or breaker as I thought, but it does play a role. Not for those that don't have a good transmitter already, and are going to buy the RTF kit, but I bet people with a Dx7 are much less likely to concern getting a V911 than someone with a Turnigy 9x. And that 9x owner is more likely to get the Heli-only version of the 911, and not the RTF. I wonder if anyone has data on the amount of RTF kits vs just the heli sold...
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2012, 01:44 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
5,996 Posts
I think transmitter compatibility mainly applies to much more complicated and expensive CPs where the programming is quite complicated. You don't really want to learn another system again.
Old May 31, 2012, 01:45 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
5,996 Posts
Quote:
An estimate is an estimate. It's not exact science. It could very well be less, no doubt. On the other hand, when a heli is not compatible with an established transmitter brand, it's often mentioned as a drawback. Nine Eagles has been often criticized for it, as well as other brands. Not everyone want a heap of different transmitters at home. Perhaps it's not as much a deal-maker or breaker as I thought, but it does play a role. Not for those that don't have a good transmitter already, and are going to buy the RTF kit, but I bet people with a Dx7 are much less likely to concern getting a V911 than someone with a Turnigy 9x. And that 9x owner is more likely to get the Heli-only version of the 911, and not the RTF. I wonder if anyone has data on the amount of RTF kits vs just the heli sold...
I think transmitter compatibility mainly applies to much more complicated and expensive CPs where the programming is quite complicated. You don't really want to learn another system again.

Anyway, I hope you move up to CPs soon. Many of your contemporaries have moved up and even flying 3D.
Old May 31, 2012, 01:57 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
5,490 Posts
Transmitter compatibility isn't just about the selling of a single model like the v911...or the next model. That's a rather short sighted way to run the company. They need to build upon the momentum and success of the v911 and have people buy into the entire lineup. Hook people on your current models and future models, just like how Horizon Hobby is doing.

Otherwise you run into fragmentation like the situation Nine Eagles is in. They were not able to retain me as their customer. I like their Solo Pro and I love their 125. But the transmitter incompatibilities means I am looking at their competitor's product more closely than i would have if I had invested in a transmitter that could control all their heli and airplanes.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old May 31, 2012, 04:14 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Transmitter compatibility isn't just about the selling of a single model like the v911...or the next model. That's a rather short sighted way to run the company. They need to build upon the momentum and success of the v911 and have people buy into the entire lineup. Hook people on your current models and future models, just like how Horizon Hobby is doing.

Otherwise you run into fragmentation like the situation Nine Eagles is in. They were not able to retain me as their customer. I like their Solo Pro and I love their 125. But the transmitter incompatibilities means I am looking at their competitor's product more closely than i would have if I had invested in a transmitter that could control all their heli and airplanes.
That's exactly what I meant. You might easily attract a customer with a cheap, value for money product, but if you want long term dedication, and customers that await your next product with sky high anticipation, like you see on many Blade products, you need to focus more on transmitter compatibility. NE made this mistake, and tries to fix it with the deal with Futaba, but it still remains to be seen if it's not too late and customers walked out to get a Walkera, Blade, V911 etc instead. Let's hope WL learned from this. They're hot now, but if another company comes with a better, cheaper, etc, heli, they could be less hot tomorrow.

One-transmitter-for-all-feeling, once you tasted it, is hard to get used to going back to small, more toy like RTF transmitters, with less precise sticks, no programming options to tweak the heli to your preferences, etc. And with the same transmitter, you can drive your RC car, or sail your boat. Just switch to another model in the memory, and away you go.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2012, 05:33 PM
Belgium
Joined Dec 2011
599 Posts
True, true. I'm new to the whole 'scene', but if 2 companies offer a more or less similar product, and one brings out other models that all work with the same controller, I'll buy from them, even if it would be a bit more expensive or require more tinkering to get it to work nicely. If they bring out a cool new product that is incompatible with the TX, I'll be a lot more reluctant to buy that.
cgpirre is offline Find More Posts by cgpirre