KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,392 Posts
Upgrading the V911 with Helios paddle flybar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHavoc View Post
Wow, that's a shame. Even the paddles we were waiting for sound disappointing
Not sure about the MSR paddles but it should be better than the V911 flybar because it is shorter and less likely to cause flybar strikes. To me, the paddle flybar is a worthy upgrade.
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:29 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5,392 Posts
Chinese Review of Helios 100

It is in Simplified Chinese but informative photos of the helicopter can be found in that thread:

(Notice the heatsink on the motor?)

http://bbs.5imx.com/bbs/forum.php?mo...ead&tid=668299

Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:26 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,703 Posts
Interesting review. That heat sink was added to the V911 by the owner himself. I wonder what the middle unit is? It looks like a V911 clone. Can anyone identify it?
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:52 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,573 Posts
The middle unit is the V911 knockoff. Supposely. Doesn't seem to have any negatives. It has the "fish eye" swashplate.The one that is from the JC9002. And also a carbon fiber main shaft.

Some thinks it's flys with more stability and precision.

Banggood had it for $17-18 at one point.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:14 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,703 Posts
Those seem like good ideas. Does this V911 knockoff have a name?

What's interesting was that the reviewer showed 3 helis, but only 2 Txs - one for the Helios and one for the V911. I'm curious about the little yellow bird in the middle, which has no name. What Tx does it use and if it is compatible with any other radios, like the 9x for instance. I wonder why little "no name" didn't get much press time?

I also noticed that "no name" has plugs for the battery cable - another improvement over the V911, for easy skid/battery holder replacement.

EDIT: Found it. Banggood still sells it, and calls it Yellow V911. BNF for $20. Seems like it uses the same Tx as the V911, but for the reasons of the upgrades mentioned, I think it is a better buy than the V911.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Last edited by Heli Pad; Sep 11, 2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:17 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,573 Posts
It's being sold everywhere as a v911. With yellow or "blank" unpainted canopy. Just search for v911 on Banggood and you'll see.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:02 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post

I also noticed that "no name" has plugs for the battery cable - another improvement over the V911, for easy skid/battery holder replacement.
A connector between skids and receiver is very convenient. Later versions of the Solo Pro 260 had this connector, making it the only sub micro FP in it's weight class at that time that required no soldering when replacing part (the mSR had a battery cable the still needed soldering on the PCB) and the V911 is based upon that version. For simplicity the cable was probably left out in the cloning process, just as some parts were glued instead of regular press-fit, but it seems later they realised being able to replace the skids with ease is very convenient.

Shame the Helios paddles don't improve the V911 as much as we had hoped. What makes the Helios faster in FFF then? Stronger motor only? Was this heli hyped too much based upon the experience with the V911 that is excellent value for money, and the promise this one would be even more bang for the buck? Or is it just not as good, at least a lot of variation in the quality of the produced units, which affects flight performance dramatically?
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:38 AM
China, Guangdong
Joined Oct 2011
886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
It is in Simplified Chinese but informative photos of the helicopter can be found in that thread:

(Notice the heatsink on the motor?)

http://bbs.5imx.com/bbs/forum.php?mo...ead&tid=668299

It will be very funny,if you can read the Chinese
Aaron qin is offline Find More Posts by Aaron qin
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:49 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
A connector between skids and receiver is very convenient. Later versions of the Solo Pro 260 had this connector, making it the only sub micro FP in it's weight class at that time that required no soldering when replacing part (the mSR had a battery cable the still needed soldering on the PCB) and the V911 is based upon that version. For simplicity the cable was probably left out in the cloning process, just as some parts were glued instead of regular press-fit, but it seems later they realised being able to replace the skids with ease is very convenient.

Shame the Helios paddles don't improve the V911 as much as we had hoped. What makes the Helios faster in FFF then? Stronger motor only? Was this heli hyped too much based upon the experience with the V911 that is excellent value for money, and the promise this one would be even more bang for the buck? Or is it just not as good, at least a lot of variation in the quality of the produced units, which affects flight performance dramatically?
I still maintain that the Helios is better in many aspects of flight performance than the V911 (my opinion). QC could be better and I know they will change their process after my feedback a few days ago.
You hear a lot of different comments because everyone's skill set, aircraft and conditions are different and therefore their opinions towards these aircraft (mine too) are subjective no matter how you try to quantify it...
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:38 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,392 Posts
Helios 100 is a GOOD helicopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
1.What makes the Helios faster in FFF then? Stronger motor only?

2. Was this heli hyped too much based upon the experience with the V911 that is excellent value for money, and the promise this one would be even more bang for the buck?

3. Or is it just not as good, at least a lot of variation in the quality of the produced units, which affects flight performance dramatically?
1. No idea - someone who is better at helis could examine it in detail.

2. Hyped? I don't quite understand you. I think it is a great helicopter. It is not "another V911". It's a different helicopter. Without complicating things by associating it to the V911, I'll say that it flies really well, it is great value for money. But you seem to be comparing... so... see the next point.

3. Not as good... as what? If you have to compare it to the V911, then personally, I think they are good in their own ways. To me, the V911 is better indoors while the Helios is better outdoors. I can't say about "build quality" because the sample size is too small to be meaningful.

Just to make things clear - my personal opinion of Helios 100 is very positive. No major disappointment and I'm very happy with it. I'm not a fan of the Helios but I just feel it is unfair to say bad things about it when I find it to be a nice little helicopter.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:52 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,278 Posts
IT should be pretty easy to compare helis based on size ,construction and flight characteristics.
scousethief is online now Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:06 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,295 Posts
I agree with FyreSG's viewpoints on this heli, it is not perfect and it doesn't make the V911 obsolete, but it is a nice flying helicopter in my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief View Post
IT should be pretty easy to compare helis based on size ,construction and flight characteristics.
Size and construction yes, but how do we compare flight characteristics? (I honestly want to know)... All I can tell the readers of my reviews is how I feel the characteristics are... I've been trying to come up with a fair way to reflect the flight characteristics of each and every aircraft that I review but I still feel that it isn't objective enough... If anyone has a way of completely quantifying it, I would really like to know how... this issue has been bothering me for some time
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:28 AM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,268 Posts
transmitter operation

Could someone with a working transmitter tell me whether it is normal for it to beep after moving the throttle stick up then down, even when the heli is not turned on? I thought the manual said the beep after moving the throttle is an indication of successful binding. Mine beeps after moving the throttle up & down even with heli off. Seems the beep has no correlation with binding, just a preprogrammed signal.

Reason I'm asking, BG has proposed sending me another pcb for me to fix my unable-to-bind heli. I don't mind that as long as I'm confident that is the problem, but I wonder if the transmitter is possibly the culprit. It would be great if someone can post a video of a successful bind as well, so I can be sure I wasn't doing something wrong in my bind attempts. Thanks in advance.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:46 AM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,268 Posts
Quote:
Not sure about the MSR paddles but it should be better than the V911 flybar because it is shorter and less likely to cause flybar strikes. To me, the paddle flybar is a worthy upgrade.
Yes, I was comparing the Helios flybar to msr paddled flybars;, as Fyre said, it may be an improvement when compared against a stock (weighted) v911 flybar, but definitely inferior to the msr paddled flybars. The Helios flybar may be a consideration for someone who wants an off the shelf flybar replacement, but I would recommend the msr paddles if you are willing to do five minutes of work and spending a little more. (Cost of msr paddled flybar = cost of spare v911 flybar + cost of one pair of paddles = roughly $3.50 to $4.00)
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:45 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,304 Posts
Quote:
2. Hyped? I don't quite understand you. I think it is a great helicopter. It is not "another V911". It's a different helicopter. Without complicating things by associating it to the V911, I'll say that it flies really well, it is great value for money. But you seem to be comparing... so... see the next point.
Perhaps hyped isn't the right word. High anticipation would describe it better. The V911 became famous because it performed so well, the Helios was expected to do at least as good, if not better, even before the heli was hitting the shelves. After the first less performing units were reported by some buyers here, it seemed the overall mood dimmed a little. But apparently that feel isn't dominant, and the heli only seems plagued by some QC issues, not missed opportunities in design.

Comparing seems only natural since both are in the same price and weight class. The V911 and 9958 have been compared quite a lot as well, even though these differ more than the V911 and Helios perhaps.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan