SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:20 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,435 Posts
Does it nose up and down multiple times. Like a dolphin?

I have seen this behavior on the Solo Pro and I think v911 also. I call it porpoising.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:28 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,100 Posts
Yes, like the V911, only more pronounced.
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:32 AM
Joined Jan 2012
204 Posts
It's unfortunate the V911 has spoiled all of us in this way. All these helis have their natural abilities and quirks which sort of makes it fun... otherwise what's the point in owning so many different models when they all fly the same. I still believe most of the faults that have been recognized in the V911 and Helios 100 would disappear if only the flybar disappeared...
Killer Bee is offline Find More Posts by Killer Bee
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:01 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,435 Posts
@Killer Bee
I agree. But the v911 is a good baseline to compare against. Good price/performance ratio.

I like the unique characteristics of each of the heli too. However, I wish the manufacturer would make fixes like WL Toys does to their v911. For instance, the 9958 tail motor mount has a little tab that's too small and weak. The CF boom bust through it too easily and most newbies suffer cut/fray tail motor wires as a result. It's easy to remedy if they choose to like WL Toys does with their lineup.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:21 AM
Joined Jun 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
Yes, like the V911, only more pronounced.
Does the Helios's Gyro have the problem - tail turns to left when the battery gets weak after some minutes of fly as the V911?

I find it really annoying, can't enjoy the last flying minutes of the battery ^^

Thank you!
tunggad is offline Find More Posts by tunggad
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:39 AM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Jul 2012
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunggad View Post
Does the Helios's Gyro have the problem - tail turns to left when the battery gets weak after some minutes of fly as the V911?

I find it really annoying, can't enjoy the last flying minutes of the battery ^^

Thank you!
Have not noticed it really..
Makdaddy is offline Find More Posts by Makdaddy
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:08 AM
Joined Jul 2012
1,315 Posts
Well this thing is really getting to me so I swapped out a V911 flybar to the Helios 100.
It flew much more nimble but the flybar strikes were more frequent than the 911.
No go there.
Installed the Helios paddled flybar in the V911. Screw hole seems to be same size but the ball pins seem to be just a tad larger then the V911. They snapped on but did not move as freely as the V911.
Flew the V911 with H100 flybar and was getting the back and forth like on a string effect - much more pronounced then that of the H100. Probably due to the tight ball pin linkage. Daryoon calls it "porpoising". I like that term.
No go there.
To top it all off, the H100 got about 40 - 50 foot from me and did not respond to the controls. Just kept going and going and then dropped. Did take a good drop of around 20 foot or so with no damage.
This TX really is bad. No range at all.
I was thinking of giving this to my grandson but would not wish this upon him.
Ordered a couple of V911 boards (need at least one replacement) and will try to salvage this thing with a V911 board if it will fit - still have not measured the mounting holes.

The Helios 100 has...
Crappy charger for batteries - the led does not light properly and the red light goes to dim but never goes out. Not sure if others are experiencing this but I am.
TX is, as I have noted, terrible distance, not near as good as stock V911 (which has its issues) it's really small and has a lag between the heli and the tx when moving the sticks. Also the foldable antenna is fake - no wire inside.
String effect when flying with stock flybar - not sure if that is proper terminology but that is what it seems like when you pull off FFF it floats back and forth like it is on a string (porpoising).
Canopy - you have to remove a small screw to take it off - would be a pain in the field to work on. Landing skids are cp glued on - would be hard to replace if needed and the small canopy screw attaches to the skids.

I really do not like bashing a product and I know it is not a V911 but I though this was engineered to compete against it.
They really missed the mark on this one. After waiting over a month and a half for this thing to arrive from my initial order, I wish I would of just ordered two V911 BNF's instead.
Last edited by Makdaddy; Sep 05, 2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:16 AM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,261 Posts
The porpoising people have noted may be due to the flybar being 'too stable' (?), wonder if removing the weights inside the paddles would help, KKDDMM showed that they are removable.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:21 AM
Joined Jul 2012
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
The porpoising people have noted may be due to the flybar being 'too stable' (?), wonder if removing the weights inside the paddles would help, KKDDMM showed that they are removable.
I will give that a try when I get the chance. Right now I really do not even want to touch it.
Being that the H100 flybar was still off the H100, I weighed the flybar and it is 7 grams (wife food scale)
The modded flybar that I cut the weight ends off of a stock V911 and installed paddles is 7 grams.
I noticed H100 paddles are 20-30% smaller then the v911 modded flybar paddles.
Almost same distance from the center pin on both.
Last edited by Makdaddy; Sep 05, 2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:04 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
It's really fast, faster than the V911. No kidding! I tried real hard to cause flybar strikes but there wasn't any, until I got it to dive at top speed, then when it almost smash into the ground, I pulled up and turned. *clack clack* and there it was.... flybar strike!

It wasn't easy to get flybar strike, but really, when that happens, the helicopter doesn't lose stability like the V911.
If it went clack clack and recovered, I guess it was striking the canopy. Could you see physical evidence? The v911 FB strikes are fatal because it strikes the tail boom out of no where. Unlike striking the canopy, which is more forgiving, a strike to the tail and your helicopter would fall out of the sky.

If you have to tried that hard to get a strike and then recovered, I would consider it "problem solved." Good job.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:10 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,607 Posts
FyreSG, just to confirm, is the Helios well trimmed and hovers like a dream before it gets into this porpoising?

Thoughts on FB. If anything, I think the FB is too light if it is to be blamed for that behavior. But go ahead and take out the weight and see if it gets better, or worse. I'm guessing that it will be worse, but I could be wrong. Then try putting the weights back and wrap a few wraps of solder onto the ends of the bar to increase weight. See if that would make it more stable.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:17 AM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
FyreSG, just to confirm, is the Helios well trimmed and hovers like a dream before it gets into this porpoising?

Thoughts on FB. If anything, I think the FB is too light if it is to be blamed for that behavior. But go ahead and take out the weight and see if it gets better, or worse. I'm guessing that it will be worse, but I could be wrong. Then try putting the weights back and wrap a few wraps of solder onto the ends of the bar to increase weight. See if that would make it more stable.
Hi HeliPad, interesting theory, I think I might get mine shortly, I will give your theory a go. I don't like heavy flybars because I have to flight them to move the heli. But you could be right, I had a very light paper paddle flybar on a 9958, and that thing pendulums like crazy; which I think might be due to a delay in the action of the light flybar.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:23 AM
Joined Jan 2012
204 Posts
On the range issue. I had the same problem with a V911 which ended up being a problem with the board. Originally it flew great and then the antenna became loose and I lost considerable range. With a little solder, I reattached the antenna believing that would fix my issue but I didn't. I struggled with that antenna for a couple weeks when it occured to me to test the parts V911 that I had stashed away. The antenna wasn't even attached because I robbed it but the servos still responded WAY out past my current working heli. I finally ordered a new board to fix the problem. When it arrived, there was no antenna attached but even with no antenna, I never flew it out of range.... apparently the antenna on the heli isn't a critical part afterall. Just something to think about
Killer Bee is offline Find More Posts by Killer Bee
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:29 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,435 Posts
I had the opposite experience on the 9958. We lost the antenna at the park (actually saw it fall off mid flight) and because of it, we had to walk with our heli. You get about 15ft-20ft and it will try to fly away. So walking with it was almost like we were tethered.

Soldering back on an antenna when we got back home fixed the problem.

So perhaps it depends on the situation or other interference?
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:32 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,865 Posts
The swinging effect sounds a lot like the pendulum swing mSR owners have encountered. I haven't flown the Helios, but from the helis I did fly, the Bravo SX, Solo Pro 270, 260 and the GW9958, the 270 has the least swinging tendencies. Mind you, most FP helis tend to nose up when making a hard stop from FFF, but some do have the effect much stronger than others.

Does the Helios' head use a feathering shaft with damper rings, or just simple pins, like the V911? The damper rings seem to attenuate the nose up effect on the Solo Pro 260 I have equipped with it (Delrin Xtreme head) and the 270 has a feathering shaft with dampers stock.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan