SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:44 PM
UAV Operator
Brazil, SP, Caraguatatuba
Joined Jun 2012
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
H everyone I am trying to use a canon hs300 on my x5 airplane but can not for the life of me get a non blurred picture

I turned off the stabilization in the camera
Cranked up the Iso
I can see the screen go blurry and actually gets jello while in ground tests

I have balanced the prop and removed the folder

I never had this issue with the Pentax optio 90 because it's a fixed lens

My question is "if these extending barrel cams are so sensitive why do these companies use them?"

Or is there something I am missing?
Do you run your camera with original firmware?

There are CHDK firmware MODs, for some models of Canon, that apply few good features to it.

BTW, Sensefly flyes with Canon with this firmware.

My first aerial plataform is almost finish. I choose an Canon compatible with this firmware to start my tests for imaging.

I will follow you about this issue...

Best regards!
ECODRONES is offline Find More Posts by ECODRONES
Last edited by ECODRONES; Jul 13, 2012 at 09:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:59 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,031 Posts
yes I am using CHDK and all works well there... the camera just takes terrible pictures....

I am in direct competition with all the companies listed in this thread... all my cliends say my models are better than anyone elses... I am beginning to understand why...

anyway I am ditching this camera and going back to my old ones...

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:13 AM
Lift is cheap - Drag sucks
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,616 Posts
Joe,

How about an update on that launcher.

Tom
Tom Harper is offline Find More Posts by Tom Harper
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:39 PM
UAV Guy
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Feb 2012
257 Posts
the launcher works good. I am in the mist of setting up the plane to fly just under RC for the first flight attempt with the launcher. I will get more info on this as soon as I get a chance to fly again. I have been really busy with work recently.
UAVJOE is offline Find More Posts by UAVJOE
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:04 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,388 Posts
Joe,

Don't know if you saw my build on the X8, but even with all the mods I did, most of the people that have flown it don't think too much of its abilities. I have decided I'm not going to even go to the effort of putting an autopilot in it because of those findings. It will be interesting to see how you've overcome some the X5's negative press. I'd have to think that the higher wing loading would have to help.

Gene
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:48 AM
Joined Jul 2012
1 Posts
help

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVJOE View Post
Unmanned Aerial System, formally known as Unmanned Aerial Vehical.
We aren't hiring right now but there are other companies if you want to go to war zones.
I have read several place about the cg and trajectory issues with the x5 but noone ever discloses the proper answer. It seems youll are alot more knowlegable than myself. please throw me a bone
llf2 is offline Find More Posts by llf2
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Jan 2011
571 Posts
Hi UAVJOE

I took your launcher design picture to a gardening shop and they cut me some pipe to length and I built it in 1 hour.

Can you tell me how you have hooked up the X5 to the moving launch tray, and how you are releasing the tray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVJOE View Post
Well, I just completed my Catapult system for flying wings. I will test it out next week end. I is 5 ft long. I hope it slings the plane into the air for me.
I am using 3 bungees attached to a shuttle. It then goes around pulleys and then down to the bottom of the launcher. Here are some pictures.
htran is offline Find More Posts by htran
Old Aug 06, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Dec 2004
169 Posts
Pics of shuttle

Please, Joe -

I am also looking for designs to launch the X-8. Yours is the most interesting so far. Could we have pics of the attachment method you're using from the shuttle to the aitrcraft?
Jeff Watt is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Watt
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:37 AM
Flying Zayin
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined May 2012
854 Posts
And what?

Seems, everything went to a stall about 2 or 3 months back?
How are things going?
Cathay Stray is offline Find More Posts by Cathay Stray
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:31 PM
UAV Guy
Joined Feb 2012
257 Posts
I will be testing out the launcher and fly the x5 this weekend via RC. I took the APM out for the next test flight. I am not too optimistic on the airframe considering the first launch attempt. I will report back.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:39 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,031 Posts
I have hand launched mine likely 50+ times, auw is quite heavy and it runs on a tiny 2217 motor.

the plane flies for 20 minutes + but it has terrible adverse yaw. So I removed it from my fleet, it's too bad because the form factor is excellent.

I added mechanical differential elevons and that helped quite a bit, I also added mechanical drag on the inside turning wing, that helped too.. but all in all it needs a longer sweep to the wing and vertical winglets and less agressive wing profile to reduce the adverse yaw.

Mine is on the shelf waiting for me to be bored and make it fly again.

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:07 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,388 Posts
Wow! Kind of looks like the folks that have seriously tried the X5 (and the X8?) have arrived at the same conclusion. Great idea - poor execution. I'm sure the Chinese will get around to improving on it, but right now it's not really even ready for non-prime time use.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:59 AM
Flying Zayin
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined May 2012
854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexFlyer View Post
I'm sure the Chinese will get around to improving on it
I doubt that a lot: as long as people keep on buying and taking risks, Chinese manufacturers would not care to improve anything. A company who makes the Skywalker once hit a great success (was it just a lucky coincidence?) - making a plane that has since become a de facto standard airframe for FPV, and they'll ride the same horse till it drops.
X5 and X8 seem to be some sort of supplementary projects to the Skywalker, whether they go on well or not is hardly of crucial importance.

Joe please do write about your experience. I thought about getting an X5 as a step on my way to X8 but looks the whole idea is not practical; probably I'll stick to the Skywalker and just enjoy what I already have. Those wings are good in theory but in practice my FPV equipment costs real $$$$ and losing it in a dead spiral is no good prospect anyway.
However, I'm still not completely dumping the idea. Much depends on your report!
Cathay Stray is offline Find More Posts by Cathay Stray
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:47 PM
UAV Guy
Joined Feb 2012
257 Posts
Just had another attempt at flying it. Verified CG and verified surfaces. Let it rip and right off the launcher and twisted into the ground nose first. Destroyed the airframe. Good thing I took my autopilot out. Poor design and would not recommend it to anyone. Going back to conventional airframes.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:32 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,388 Posts
Well UAVJOE seems to have closed this chapter. His findings were very similar to mine on the X8 build.
So Cathay Stray, I hope you are right. I hope the Chinese keep making that kind of junk. It keeps my Spectra flying wing head and shoulders above them even though they tried to copy it. As much of a pig as it was, I at least got the X8 into the air long enough to find out it was junk too.