HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:55 PM
UAV Guy
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Feb 2012
294 Posts
Made some general progress today.
I have added a mono wheel in the center of the plane to protect the foam from damage on landings on hard surfaces. I added wing tip skids on the wing tips to protect them too.. I am awaiting the ESC, BEC, and servos to complete the build. I hope they get here soon. Waiting on parts from HK.Com is a real drag.
UAVJOE is online now Find More Posts by UAVJOE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2012, 08:36 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Dec 2005
279 Posts
RF Shielding?

Have you put any RF shielding between the XBee and the motor / ESC? What about RF beads or toroids?

There is a paper supplier that makes copper foil covered card stock that is light weight and can be cut with scissors to make RF shields. Another option is brass windows screen. It is also available with very fine mesh used for fuel filters. Using screen has the RF shielding results yet lets cooling air through.

Do you braid the servo leads by splitting them and using a classic 3 string braid to break up the antenna effect of the 3 wires of the servo lead being in line and parallel to each other?

Am just curious as I am considering adding a Digi modem and worry about RF.

Jim H
small_rcer is offline Find More Posts by small_rcer
Old Jun 09, 2012, 04:03 PM
UAV Guy
Joined Feb 2012
294 Posts
On my other plane I did not do any of that and had no rf problems with the xBeePro. The only noise I was 900 and my jr spectrum link. I got all that fixed with rf chokes.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:51 PM
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,298 Posts
So you corked up the still camera hole?
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:40 PM
UAV Guy
Joined Feb 2012
294 Posts
No i saved the plug and I use it as a lens cover.
I will post the new picture of it later tonight. I have a remove before flight tag and it is painted orange so that I dont forget to remove it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
So you corked up the still camera hole?
Last edited by UAVJOE; Jul 03, 2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:47 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,424 Posts
Hey Joe,

Don't know if you subscribed to the thread, but I left some questions over here - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1667667
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:01 AM
UAV Guy
Joined Feb 2012
294 Posts
I made some big progress tonight.
I completed the nav light install, the servos, and programmed the basics into the ardupilot. I then found out that I now have another bad xbee. Not sure whats going on with them. I have 3 bad ones that I cannot unbrick and when I talked to digi international for tech support they tell me some how the modules have lost their boot loader and the only way to fix that is to purchase a developer board to complete a low level upload of the firmware. It's a good thing I have 2 more module coming before the weekend. I plan on doing the madian flight sat or sun. I will upload the pictures ASAP. I am on my iPad so I can't do it now.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:59 AM
UAV Guy
Joined Feb 2012
294 Posts
Some more
Last edited by UAVJOE; Jun 13, 2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:33 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2009
488 Posts
Looking good there Joe! Well done
I'm interestd in all the ingredients you are cooking up there. I have a similar list in mine for a 1.2m EPP flying wing that is currently my FPV plane. Although the X-5 is a very sexy drone/FPV airframe, there have been mixed reports of the flying characteristics on RcG etc. In particular it can require lots of nosewieght/batts to balance and thus flies fast due to overall weight...
So my query is: what's your weigth shaping up to be with all that inetresting gear on board? I imagine it will fly well, but may be quite fast!
I'm also very keen to follow your maiden and other exploits, as have just obtained a Ardupilot myself for a later development of my wing - similar to yours.
...staying tuned
Matt
pheonix3 is offline Find More Posts by pheonix3
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:23 PM
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Nov 2011
27 Posts
My maiden

Hey guys, just found this thread, I flew my X5 on its maiden flight today, all went very well, the FY-30 gyro makes all the difference, glides well. Had my duel rate at 45 percent, to low with the gyro, so switched to 100 percent in the air and with the gyro was fine, probably set it to 80 I think. Running a 1400kv 300amp with a Apoc 8-4, could use a little more thrust so going to try a 9-4.5. Over all nice platform in my mind, will do more visual flights before throwing on all my FPV. DAVE.
dz3866 is offline Find More Posts by dz3866
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:23 PM
UAV Guy
Joined Feb 2012
294 Posts
Thanks.
I will try to get it weighed before the first flight but I have a bad habit with forgetting that step. I have x2 2200 mAh bat. that plan to run in parallel to give 4400 mAh. I have a series of flight test cards to get the plane to full autonomous flight. The ardupilot is great. I have 3 of them and they work great. My skywalker recently met its end do to a stripped elevator servo. But I will tell you I had no good luck with that plane. I hope this one is better, the ardupilot that was in the skywalker is back in the easy star clone and works great.
This weekend should be the maiden of the x5 and I hope it goes well. I replace the eflite motor tonight with a more powerful one that came from the skywalker. It should give me mor power for the hand launch I am dreading
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:18 PM
UAV Guy
Joined Feb 2012
294 Posts
All up weight with batteries will be 3.4lbs. That's a bit more then I wanted but I think it will fly. I have it over powered with a 3542\5 1250kv. Swinging a 10x6 prop. I will be running a 3s 3600 and a 1800 for the VTx. Sunday is the day I will try and remember to to turn on my keychain cam. I have performed my range check and all went well so I should not have any issues there. For the first flight I will only have the 2.4 telemetry and the 2.4 radio link. I have had no issue with the two working togethere in the past so they should be fine. I have double and triple checked everything I can so far. I will let everyone know how it turns out.
Wish me luck on the flight.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:15 AM
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,298 Posts
Best of luck!
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe