SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 29, 2012, 11:15 PM
UAV Guy
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Feb 2012
257 Posts
Discussion
BEVRC.com Skywalker X5 wing build

Well I got my X5 today and I am going to start a build and flight review.
The plane came in a well packed box with foam protection all around. Great improvement from previous reports from others.
So far all I have completed is glueing the motor mount to the plane and I decided to glue the winglets on. I don't need the ability of removing them since the plane is small to begin with.
I will get the list of parts and progress pics together for the nex post.
All I have so far is it will have a fully autonomous APM 2.0 autopilot in it.

I will keep you all informed as the build progresses. Any advice along the way is appreciated.

UAVJoe
UAVJOE is offline Find More Posts by UAVJOE
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2012, 08:34 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2011
269 Posts
What size battery can that thing hold? It doesn't look like it has a lot of room. Or maybe I'm just used to looking at pictures of the X8.
cabster101 is offline Find More Posts by cabster101
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2012, 09:46 PM
UAV Guy
Joined Feb 2012
257 Posts
I am going to try and fit a 4000mah 3s. I am awaiting the rest of the parts. In the mean time I will be getting paint for it. I am going with a primer grey and high vis orange on the wing tips. More info to come soon.
Old May 30, 2012, 10:54 PM
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,290 Posts
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe
Old May 31, 2012, 08:12 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,388 Posts
If you go with a primer gray, you can watch it disappear right before your very eyes in the sky. You'll be looking for the two orange winglets. We've settled on a very high white top and a dark bottom for our wings and it works very nicely. Having contrasting winglets doesn't hurt, but it really help to have only one of them in a high contrast color.
CenTexFlyer is online now Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old May 31, 2012, 09:35 PM
UAV Guy
Joined Feb 2012
257 Posts
Not looking to see it. It is a UAV. I fly many different UAVs in my career and all of them are grey. I fly UAVs for a living incase you haven't figured it out yet. It is going to be in a military UAV scheme so that's my plan. I will have more work on it in soon. I have been busy at work and with family. I will keep you all informed on the the progress.
Old May 31, 2012, 10:24 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,388 Posts
Nope, sorry..... I hadn't figured that out. FWIW - the X5 got pretty weak reviews on flight characteristics.
Old May 31, 2012, 11:31 PM
UAV Guy
Joined Feb 2012
257 Posts
I have heard that as well. But it is a really neat design and they seemed to make some changes to make it better. I have also heard some reviews that went from bad to good once they set it up properly with CG and thrust lines. I think the biggest issue I will have is tuning the Ardupilot for a wing design rather then a conventional plane.
Also, I apologize if my last comment to you sounded nasty, or disrespectful. I was not trying to come across that way. I appreciate and respect the feedback. It's just that this is not my first plane I have been involved in RC for 22yrs flying everything from gliders, pattern, heli, jets,and large scale IMAC. I also have 7 yrs experience in operational large UAS in Iraq and Afghanistan. I know work for the largest FAA UAS Flight Test Center in the US for UAS integration in the National Airspace.
I hope you still provide honest feedback on this build I believe that no one including myself has the best building practices and everyone can learn from someone else.
Old May 31, 2012, 11:39 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVJOE View Post
I have heard that as well. But it is a really neat design and they seemed to make some changes to make it better. I have also heard some reviews that went from bad to good once they set it up properly with CG and thrust lines. I think the biggest issue I will have is tuning the Ardupilot for a wing design rather then a conventional plane.
Also, I apologize if my last comment to you sounded nasty, or disrespectful. I was not trying to come across that way. I appreciate and respect the feedback. It's just that this is not my first plane I have been involved in RC for 22yrs flying everything from gliders, pattern, heli, jets,and large scale IMAC. I also have 7 yrs experience in operational large UAS in Iraq and Afghanistan. I know work for the largest FAA UAS Flight Test Center in the US for UAS integration in the National Airspace.
I hope you still provide honest feedback on this build I believe that no one including myself has the best building practices and everyone can learn from someone else.
Please send me a job application for your company

Also I will need to know what UAS stands for. I would look pretty foolish in a job interview not knowing that....
Old Jun 01, 2012, 12:09 AM
UAV Guy
Joined Feb 2012
257 Posts
Unmanned Aerial System, formally known as Unmanned Aerial Vehical.
We aren't hiring right now but there are other companies if you want to go to war zones.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 10:37 AM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVJOE View Post
It's just that this is not my first plane I have been involved in RC for 22yrs flying everything from gliders, pattern, heli, jets,and large scale IMAC. I also have 7 yrs experience in operational large UAS in Iraq and Afghanistan. I know work for the largest FAA UAS Flight Test Center in the US for UAS integration in the National Airspace.
www.rpflightsystems.com since 2004 - Specializing in flying wing designs
www.rpsearchservices.org since 2006 - 10 confirmed SAR recoveries using UA in the NAS.

Doug, Bruce, Dwight.....know the crew
Old Jun 01, 2012, 12:47 PM
UAV Guy
Joined Feb 2012
257 Posts
Good deal. So we are in the same business... How big is the airspace you are permitted to fly in per your COA.
We can flay ANY companies UAS in our 12,000 sq miles of airspace under our COA. If you want to do any flying with us give us a call.... We are currently the only UAS FTC that is guided and approved by the FAA.
Hopefully we can do business sometime in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexFlyer View Post
www.rpflightsystems.com since 2004 - Specializing in flying wing designs
www.rpsearchservices.org since 2006 - 10 confirmed SAR recoveries using UA in the NAS.

Doug, Bruce, Dwight.....know the crew
Old Jun 01, 2012, 01:34 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,290 Posts
Enough chatter. Lets see the build
Old Jun 01, 2012, 10:22 PM
UAV Guy
Joined Feb 2012
257 Posts
I made a small amout of progress tonight. I am awaiting all my parts from HobbyKing.com.
I got the UAS painted and mounted the GPS and the Xbee Telemetry module. I am trying to get everything set up so that all I have to do is mount, program and fly...
Here are some pictures.