HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2012, 11:06 PM
Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
2,832 Posts
Discussion
How do I modify the trainer switch for Head tracking on Futaba TX?

I recently bought a used Futaba 10CG to get the extra channels I need for P&T head tracking using FatShark Dominator goggles. I will direct solder a Dragonlink TX to the internal pins on the TX circuit board, leaving the trainer port free for inserting the trainer cable to the Fatsharks.

The trainer switch is spring loaded, and the trainer function is not software re-assignable AFAIK. The circuit board under the switch has both the trainer, and the adjacent switch attached to it, so I cant easily/simply swap it over for a non-spring-loaded one.

So my question is: How have others implemented Fatshark head tracking on a Futaba TX with a Dragonink fitted?

At worst/simplest case I could simply rig up some sort of mechanism (elastic band) to hold the trainer switch in position, but I'm sure that there must me more elegant solutions out there.

Any suggestions, experiences, pics welcome.

Thanks

Roger.
Kahnx is online now Find More Posts by Kahnx
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:16 AM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,069 Posts
Roger,

Did you ever figure out a solution for this? I'm setting up a HT for my 10C too, using the trainer port for input to the radio. The HT is only active when I hold the spring loaded s/w. Not exactly ideal

Sub.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:51 AM
LKJ
Lars k Jensen
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Tostrup
Joined Apr 2006
579 Posts
I use F9 and i bought a switch from another Futaba radio and then did a little solder for change from PCB to PCB.
This one fitted my F9 its is sold out but i am sure you can find one from another dealer.
http://shop.lindinger.at/product_inf...ducts_id=89196
Lars
LKJ is offline Find More Posts by LKJ
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:10 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,069 Posts
Hmm. I'm staring down an old Futaba radio on the shelf. Maybe I could rob a switch or two...

Seems a shame though. Dam thing should be assignable to any switch!
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:22 PM
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Mar 2006
723 Posts
I use a rubber band on my 9cap to keep the trainer switch activated. It works well, but looks tacky!
McCleary.11 is online now Find More Posts by McCleary.11
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 03, 2012, 12:45 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,250 Posts
I ordered a switch from Tower Hobbies and swapped it out on my 7CAP. I've been told you can order the parts and send it in to Futaba and have them swap it out if you're not handy with a soldering iron.
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Aug 03, 2012, 12:59 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,069 Posts
My Ghetto solution.

Trouble with replacing it with a normal switch is that I really like the momentary one to use as a kill switch on my 50CC. It's much harder to accidenally kill the ign with a momentary switch because you get a second or so before the engine stops completely.

If I were so inclined, I'd probably just swap the two shoulder switches over, but till then, I'll see if I like how the zip tie works.