HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2012, 08:57 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,370 Posts
Discussion
What we'd do to get a day out flying....

OK, so in the wake of a fabulous Memorial Day weekend, I managed to get some stick time on Sunday morning. Mind you this is the first time I was able to get out to the field in over a year. I had picked up a 3m Scooter from my long time friend of mine. He had retired from TD to go into electrics.

My honey and I head to the field. It is a perfect day. However I detected something rather odd about the field... it was covered in what looked like silk, only to turn out to be about a bazillion ground spiders.

I say to myself... how bad could it be? Well as you can see from the pictures you will see "paths" through the ground spider webs. First hand throw was rather interesting to say the least. The Scooter flew great and when it landed it picked up what looked like several hundred spiders. When I came to pick up the plane the wing was just crawling with spiders...

Looking at my sneakers it had looked like they had been made out of silk. When the wind picked up I found that the little spiders become airborne, flying on the strands of silk web. Overall it was a really creepy time at the field.

Needless to say we had a great day at the field. Flying was great! I did manage several flights 15 to 20 minutes in duration.

Here are some pictures for your enjoyment.

Kurt
kzimmerm is online now Find More Posts by kzimmerm
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2012, 10:25 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,004 Posts
Is this what they mean by silk and dope? (I'm sure you can figure out who the dope is....) ;-p
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2012, 01:45 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
Dang, Kurt, that is creepy indeed . I don't like spiders at all, even the little ones gross me out. It makes my head crawl reading this! You're hard core, dude, I would have gone back to the house .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old May 30, 2012, 03:02 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,004 Posts
P.S. I probably would have flown, too.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2012, 06:20 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,370 Posts
Doug;
Considering that this was the first time out for me in over a year I wasn't going to let a few spiders from flying.... well, maybe a few more than a few...

Man got to do what a Man got to do....

Kurt
kzimmerm is online now Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old May 30, 2012, 09:36 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Jan 2010
935 Posts
Good day of flying!!!

Big floaty plane, thermals, a bizillion newly hatched spiders looking to thermal also, what more can one want from life, indeed!

Adios - Pau
Pauliwog is offline Find More Posts by Pauliwog
Old Jun 01, 2012, 04:53 AM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauliwog View Post
Big floaty plane, thermals, a bizillion newly hatched spiders looking to thermal also, what more can one want from life, indeed!

Adios - Pau
Don't forget that you're a glider pilot- those little spiders flying around on their silk are classic indicators of lift.

Rick
2400RDR is offline Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Jun 02, 2012, 04:35 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,091 Posts
Strange! Never seen something like it. But it wouldn't keep me from flying.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Jun 04, 2012, 06:13 PM
glider pilot in training
United States, AR, Searcy
Joined Aug 2006
647 Posts
Creeepy!
webdragon is online now Find More Posts by webdragon