HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2012, 03:40 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Returning the Art-tech heli is a smart choice. The MSR is extremely durable and has no issues. But, it's obsolete, so parts might prove to be hard to find.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2012, 03:59 PM
Zombie flyer....
United Kingdom, Huddersfield
Joined Mar 2010
137 Posts
Here in the uk, ebay is awash with parts, quite cheap. So, although obsolete, I'm hoping to learn enough to probably end up selling my fixed wing collection.
Also looking at the MIA MD500e bodykit - for 7.99 uk pounds ($11.75). No reason, beyond the fact I like my models to look like the real thing if possible:

Phase 3 squall as an east german jet. Not perfect, but looks good in the air.
Just to sorta show what I mean.
But trying to get away from fixed wing for the moment, with a final aim towards flying my 2 favs:
MH53 pave low or the MIL24 'hind'D. Long way in the future, but thats the goal.
Any thoughts/opinions welcome!
toffa is offline Find More Posts by toffa
Last edited by toffa; Jun 03, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Jun 2012
3 Posts
Mine is down as well. Decided that enough was enough. I had just ordered spare parts and blades. Trying to get order canceled. Not real impressed with overall design. the lower rotor is shot. The little plastic part with "fins" that pushes on the turn buckles to make the rotor spin broke. I can see that this would be an ongoing issue. Loved the little S107 so I wanted to move outdoors and add more controls, but was initially afraid to move away from the co-axle design as the 107 was so stable. Looks like it just causes problems when you go to 4 channel though. Would like to try a "large" 18-36 inch long single rotor 4 channel. Any suggestions? Cost is a factor but wouldn't mind saving longer for better quality and handling. Thanks
tron299 is offline Find More Posts by tron299
Old Jun 03, 2012, 08:35 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
The only large single rotor is the Funcopter, which will set you back in the neighborhood of $700 and is not easy to fly. With your general lack of experience, I would certainly want to try something a bit more inexpensive first. Unfortunately, there are no other large single rotor FP helis currently being made. You may find a few left-overs like the ESky HBFP V2, Exceed Falcon 40 or Walkera UFlyS. But, these are all Hiller head helis.The Hiller head design's most distinguishing characteristics are slow, sloppy response, no anti-roll geometry and inability to handle any wind.

There used to be a pretty decent selection of nice 4 channel coaxes. But, there are too many better alternatives now and people just aren't buying coaxes, except for 3 channel toys. The few surviving models are poorly supported with the exception of the Blade CX2, which is a pretty nice heli with a few upgrades.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Jun 03, 2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 10:11 PM
V911 F45 Super CP
Joined Apr 2012
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tron299 View Post
Mine is down as well. Decided that enough was enough. I had just ordered spare parts and blades. Trying to get order canceled. Not real impressed with overall design. the lower rotor is shot. The little plastic part with "fins" that pushes on the turn buckles to make the rotor spin broke. I can see that this would be an ongoing issue. Loved the little S107 so I wanted to move outdoors and add more controls, but was initially afraid to move away from the co-axle design as the 107 was so stable. Looks like it just causes problems when you go to 4 channel though. Would like to try a "large" 18-36 inch long single rotor 4 channel. Any suggestions? Cost is a factor but wouldn't mind saving longer for better quality and handling. Thanks
"Large" is a relative term. At the bigger end of "micro" is the MJX F45 at 21 inches with a 21 inch single rotor. They're economical at about $100 USD and fairly durable. I would suggest though that you start with something smaller just to get the hang of 4 channel controls, then start moving up. A WL V911 or a GW Xieda 9958 can be had new with transmitter for under $50 and will take a ton of beginner punishment.

F45 Thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1597711

WL V911 Thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1548027

GW Xieda 9958 Thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1454770
Mitch332 is offline Find More Posts by Mitch332