Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:05 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,184 Posts
I am a new Skyartec Wasp X3V owner and Canadian Skyartec distributor. I have been following this thread for a while now.

I just want to thank Max for all his skill and amazing hard work in distributing this helicopter and more important, his dedication to customer support. Max sets the standard by which all RC distributors should be judged. Well done, Max!
easyrider604 is online now Find More Posts by easyrider604
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:54 PM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramrec View Post
Max,
That was an unusual and interesting experience you had with that bird.
I checked the fiberglass side plates on the tail of the bird I have and they are OK.
The other situation that was different with my bird was that my experience with the motor not shutting down was always at a much lower throttle setting.
My limited understanding of how these birds work is that the ESC controls the motor based on certain conditions. Loss of signal is one. However, when the signal may be lost how come the motor was allowed to run?
Not having ready access to other ESC I was not able to do the testing you did, but it does raise the question with regards to why the motor ran on when the thorttle was closed and the throttle hold switch was shut.
This whole experience is bazaar. Things are happening that are not supposed to happen and things that are supposed to happen don't happen.
There has to be more to this story.
In about 50 or more run up attempts I did have the motor run on maybe 3 times. I didn't realize I had a vibration issue because the receiver would shutdown before the motor and head and tail could get up enough speed for me to realize (feel any) that there was vibration. I did upgrade this particular receiver to firmware rev 1.1 but I still had the shutdown problem. Try disconnecting the tail servo and the head servos from the receiver; leaving only the ESC connection. Make sure that the pitch of the main blades is neutral and level. Run it up using the static hand method (don't try to fly it ) I hold it in my hand, by the skids and lower fuselage; holding it well over my head I slowly run it up. See if the Rx stays connected or if you get the same behavior. As always, safety first, so be careful

Max
www.parkrcmodels.com
www.skyartec-usa.com
Parkflying is online now Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:31 AM
Michael Skyartec
Joined Dec 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Max,
That was an unusual and interesting experience you had with that bird.
I checked the fiberglass side plates on the tail of the bird I have and they are OK.
The other situation that was different with my bird was that my experience with the motor not shutting down was always at a much lower throttle setting.
My limited understanding of how these birds work is that the ESC controls the motor based on certain conditions. Loss of signal is one. However, when the signal may be lost how come the motor was allowed to run?
Not having ready access to other ESC I was not able to do the testing you did, but it does raise the question with regards to why the motor ran on when the thorttle was closed and the throttle hold switch was shut.
This whole experience is bazaar. Things are happening that are not supposed to happen and things that are supposed to happen don't happen.
There has to be more to this story.
kramrec
Would you please have a test :
Unplug all servos from your X302V receiver,
only connect the ESC to your 302RX,
Remove the main blade and tail blade first, for safety,
Then turn on your Transmitter, then turn on your 302 RX,
To see if it can be bound easily, and the motor may run and stop properly,

There is one possibility that might causes your problem is the servos need to much power, more than the BEC can supply, So the 302RX can not get enough power to work properly, In that case, every units are all OK, but they don't work while put them together. If that's why your X3V doesn't work, you will need a ESC with larger capacity BEC.
Wish it may solve your problem
Michael
skyartec_michael is offline Find More Posts by skyartec_michael
Last edited by skyartec_michael; Jan 23, 2013 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Safety suggestion
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:10 AM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyartec_michael View Post
kramrec
Would you please have a test :
Unplug all servos from your X302V receiver,
only connect the ESC to your 302RX,
Remove the main blade and tail blade first, for safety,
Then turn on your Transmitter, then turn on your 302 RX,
To see if it can be bound easily, and the motor may run and stop properly,

There is one possibility that might causes your problem is the servos need to much power, more than the BEC can supply, So the 302RX can not get enough power to work properly, In that case, every units are all OK, but they don't work while put them together. If that's why your X3V doesn't work, you will need a ESC with larger capacity BEC.
Wish it may solve your problem
Michael
Kramrec, I am wondering what country are you in? Maybe you could you update your profile to show your city and country? The reason I ask is if you are near and willing to pay shipping I will fix this sucker for you,. Jeeze, I know the solution. I have been working on skyartec helicopters almost as long as the factory has been around.
You do have a X303v receiver on the way. If that doesn't solve your problem contact me on our website directly using our contact form with your direct email ( not here on rcgroups please) Enough is Enough...........
About Michael's Advice - "What I Said"!
Michael from the factory offered me the same advice about a larger ESC/BEC Capacity. That is why I said I tried a larger ESC with a 2 amp BEC Capacity; with no change, so it is doubtful this is the cause of your issue.

Let us know how the new Rx works out for you.

Max
www.parkrcmodels.com
www.skyartec-usa.com
Parkflying is online now Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Parkflying; Jan 23, 2013 at 01:56 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:52 AM
Sweden
Joined Apr 2002
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyartec View Post
this is new parts for x3v.Now it is avaliable.
Where can I get those new alloy tail blades holders?
Few weeks ago I had a hard landing and the tail rotor hit the parking ground where I was flying.
One of the blade holder went apart. I since replaced it, but I would happily upgrade them with the new beefier ones.
Jeff
JeffT is offline Find More Posts by JeffT
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:06 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,184 Posts
Great Wasp thread. Newbie heli pilot, longtime fixed winger. Wasp X3V is my first heli. Got it because the factory highly recommended it for a beginner.

Did 15+ hours cumulative in the last couple of months, using the FMS Hughes simulator. After being able to somewhat hover, fly around and land safely on the sim, I felt the urge to finally strap on the training gear and charge the X3V's battery.

I tried to read the manual on start-up, but you know how that goes...didn't understand a thing!

So I turn on the Tx first, throttle at minimum, gave it time to settle down.

Then plugged in the heli battery. It is the battery that comes with the RTF, btw. After waiting for O Susana and all the assorted beeps to finish, give or take one minute, I tried the controls.

Roll, nic, yaw servos all worked, hopefully the way they should.

After several calming seconds...could have been minutes...I gingerly pushed the throttle forward. The collective control was working the rotor blades, but the motor was not turning. Cycled the throttle up and down a few times, no response from the motor, only the collective works.

What could be wrong? TIA
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,184 Posts
Hey guys, I got my throttle to work. I found a post on the Wasp 100 Nano thread that the "gear" switch should be flipped up after the TX has done communicating with the RX.

I ran up the throttle very slowly, the whole heli shook badly until it reached a certain RPM where it smoothed out nicely. Didn't increase throttle enough to lift off. The thrill of seeing my heli run for the first time since I got it two months ago, was too much and I had to cool down.

It disconnect the battery, turn off the Tx. After a few minutes, I decided to try a lift off, even two inches off the ground.

TX on, battery connect, wait for binding to complete. Checked the controls....nothing. Absolutely no response to any TX control inputs. I did the same procedure as before. Did I break something?

TIA
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:43 PM
Sweden
Joined Apr 2002
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider604 View Post
After several calming seconds...could have been minutes...I gingerly pushed the throttle forward. The collective control was working the rotor blades, but the motor was not turning. Cycled the throttle up and down a few times, no response from the motor, only the collective works.

What could be wrong? TIA
Hi,
Left switch on your transmitter should be on the up position (that's the throttle cut switch). This is probably why your motor doesn't start. Also note that when you turn on the TX this switch has to be down to avoid starting the motor by mistake I guess.
Right switch on the TX should also be on the up position. This is the idle up switch. You don't want to begin flying in idle up mode
Jeff
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:04 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,184 Posts
Hi Jeff, I did what you suggested, and it worked.

However, after shutting it down and restarting/reconnecting heli battery, now none of the controls work.

As well, I noticed there are no blinking red lights on the receiver when I plug in the heli battery.

Do I need to re-bind, if so how?

I am pretty sure I am the culprit here, but what did I do wrong?
TIA
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:05 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider604 View Post
Hi Jeff, I did what you suggested, and it worked.

However, after shutting it down and restarting/reconnecting heli battery, now none of the controls work.

As well, I noticed there are no blinking red lights on the receiver when I plug in the heli battery.

Do I need to re-bind, if so how?

I am pretty sure I am the culprit here, but what did I do wrong?
TIA
To rebind; turn on the tx, immediately connect the heli battery and hold the little button on the front of the rx in for a few seconds. It should bind for you.
Pa flyer is offline Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:23 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa flyer View Post
To rebind; turn on the tx, immediately connect the heli battery and hold the little button on the front of the rx in for a few seconds. It should bind for you.
Much thanks. Will try it now.

EDIT:
IT WORKED! Thanks again PA flyer. I ran the motor from idle to just before lift off until the battery reached LVCO. I dragged the ping pong balls all over my driveway, twice lifted off a foot or two. I am liking helis
Last edited by easyrider604; Jan 24, 2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:02 AM
Sweden
Joined Apr 2002
145 Posts
A short video with the X3V shot yesterday in the snow.
Skyartec Wasp X3V flybarless rc helicopter (1 min 27 sec)

This was the first flight. On the third one I had a lot of fun making high speed translations. Until I flew too far and couldn't judge the position of the heli anymore. It ended up in the snow luckily with not much damage. One ball link is broken on the cyclic and the one way bearing died. Now I'm grounded until I receive the spares. Also have to check the main shaft and the pitch axis to make sure they're not bent.
Next time, I'll stay closer. This heli is not so big and maybe I'm too used to bigger fixed wings and have a tendency to fly too far away
Jeff
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:48 AM
United States, FL, Port Orange
Joined Oct 2012
18 Posts
Offer

Max,
Thank you for your offer to get my x3 straightened out. BTW, I'm in central FL. My Chinese dealer has been good with trying to get this matter settled so I feel loyal to him in that regard. However, the turnaround time is tiring. I'm hoping that when I receive the 303 that all my issues will go away. If not I will contact you.
Thanks again for all you do, you certainly are helpful.
kramrec is offline Find More Posts by kramrec
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:19 AM
Jim
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
clearviewSE and X3V combination?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMala View Post
Good to know, it is also true that it will probably be very easy to replace if necessary the stock landig gear with some TRex 250 skids or even better the Superskids 200 or 300, as I have done on my Gaui 200s that have extremely fragile stock skids.

By the way I also have been using Clearview as simulator and I have been extremely happy with it.
Has anyone found an effective way to simulate the X3V in its normal (not stunt) mode with the software (clearviewSE) and transmitter (NASA701) that come in this package?

To use the NASA701 I've had to set the model to basic 4 channel heli. So, the models don't respond as I would expect a CCMP machine to respond (there is no mixing going on).

If anyone has a combination of transmitter settings and clearviewSE model that they think is good training for flying the X3V, please advise.

Thanks
candj is offline Find More Posts by candj
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:12 PM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Max,
Thank you for your offer to get my x3 straightened out. BTW, I'm in central FL. My Chinese dealer has been good with trying to get this matter settled so I feel loyal to him in that regard. However, the turnaround time is tiring. I'm hoping that when I receive the 303 that all my issues will go away. If not I will contact you.
Thanks again for all you do, you certainly are helpful.
Hi Kramrec,

When you get your 303 gyro make sure you bench test it first as mine was not programed with the new ver 1.1 firmware and it kept slowly jamming the swash plate against the main shaft.
If it dose this you will have to get the programmer for it and update the firmware.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Last edited by Whizgig; Jan 25, 2013 at 10:38 PM.