HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:57 PM
United States, FL, Port Orange
Joined Oct 2012
18 Posts
Just wondering

I've had nothing but trouble with this kit since I received it. It occurred to me that maybe I have the wrong pairing. I see where Skyartec has packaged this model differently at different times. I have the NASA 701 TX and the 302 RX.
It seems to me that the 303 RX should go with the 701 TX
The issues I'm have are
1.binding
2. motor not shutting off when it occasionally does bind.
You guys that have had success with this kit please report as to your pairing.
Thanks
kramrec is offline Find More Posts by kramrec
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:18 AM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramrec View Post
I've had nothing but trouble with this kit since I received it. It occurred to me that maybe I have the wrong pairing. I see where Skyartec has packaged this model differently at different times. I have the NASA 701 TX and the 302 RX.
The issues I'm have are
1.binding
Thanks
The NASA701 works great with the X302 receiver. Regardless of anyone elses experience, your results are unique to your set. If you have a Skyartec Radio set that has binding (pairing) issues and/or the motor not shutting off, you have a defective set. It could be the ESC going out intermittently ( I just bench tested a helicopter doing this) causing the receiver to go off and then when power is quickly restored the receiver trying to bind.
My expert advice is that:
You have a helicopter with a serious and dangerous electrical / radio issue. You need to discontinue us immediately and return the complete helicopter and radio set to the dealer for replacement.

Max
www.parkrcmodels.com
www.skyartec-usa.com
Parkflying is offline Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:12 AM
Sweden
Joined Apr 2002
145 Posts
Quote:
The issues I'm have are
1.binding
Thanks
I also have a NASA 701TX with an X302V RX. The heli worked out of the box, not pairing issue either. I just made few adjustments to the settings, but this heli was surprisingly well set when it first flew
As Parkflying wrote you probably have something defective on your model. The ESC seems a probable cause. Before returning the whole set, maybe you could test with another ESC to see if that solve the issue. It's a 15A one, not too expensive to replace.
Jeff
JeffT is offline Find More Posts by JeffT
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:36 AM
Joined Oct 2012
18 Posts
Apparently, not ESC

Max,
Thank you for your expert comments on this matter. I too think this is a dangerous situation.
I think returning the bird may have to be done but, I'm hoping it's something less than that. I don't mind working with the dealer with trying to resolve this issue. I'll bet that 99% of the kit does work correctly, but that one piece is the problem.
In order to try to work around the issue the dealer sent me another ESC, which I replaced with no change in the situation. It's beginning to look like the receiver.
I like the concept of this bird and I'm looking forward to having it work correctly.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:24 PM
Joined Feb 2006
341 Posts
3 axis gyro ugrade demo video and it is also for x303v

skyartec wasp nano cp software upgrade demo (3 min 48 sec)
skyartec is online now Find More Posts by skyartec
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:03 AM
Joined Oct 2012
18 Posts
Thanks

Skyartec,
Thanks for the input and video, I'm sure I will have to do this too at some time.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:24 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Inverness
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
Originally Posted by Parkflying View Post
Sorry to hear of your issues. What country are you in? Have you contacted your dealer you got the helicopter and the repair parts for details on the setup and help with the rebuilding of the tail section? The manual has large full detailed and exploded views of the tail section. so what about those pictures are giving you issues and are hard to understand?
Are the tail blades installed in the correct direction? Is the tail rotor spinning in the correct direction? Is the tail belt taut so it does not slip?
To put the Rx back NEAR the factory settings: turn both dials counter clockwise as far as they can go and then turn them back clockwise so they are about at 2 O'Clock / 8 O'Clock position.
BTW there is a Skyartec X3V Forum on the X3V review with many contributors here:
Skyartec X3V Review Postings

Max
www.parkrcmodels.com
www.skyartec-usa.com

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. My tail issue is partially resolved. I changed the boom and when doing so installed the belt the wrong way round. Everything is back together and I now have the bird turning on the rudder stick in both a clockwise and anti clockwise direction. I have put the giro setting(s) back to the middle of the setting on both pots. My issue now is that she still wants to turn anti clockwise and will cancel and go clockwise with rudder input but as soon as I release away she goes again in the other direction.

Unfortunately the dealer I purchased the kit from could barely be less interested. He states he sells them not repairs them.........

I agree the manual is well illustrated however I honestly feel the English instructions are very very unclear at best. I have read the instructions for the transmitter, receiver and also the helicopter manual a few times but I am still struggling to understand exactly how I go about setting up the giro hold. I can change the gain on the transmitter, on the giro/receiver but neither seems to make the slightest difference to the helicopters behavior.

Any advice would be gratefully received. Also aside from the Gain adjuster on the receiver, what does the other pot do. On the receiver is states agility ( I am assuming its a quicker response to transmitter controls = more agility. )??

Apologies for all the questions and thanks again for the help.]

Kind regards

Hec
hecmac is offline Find More Posts by hecmac
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:36 AM
Joined Dec 2008
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hecmac View Post
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. My tail issue is partially resolved. I changed the boom and when doing so installed the belt the wrong way round. Everything is back together and I now have the bird turning on the rudder stick in both a clockwise and anti clockwise direction. I have put the giro setting(s) back to the middle of the setting on both pots. My issue now is that she still wants to turn anti clockwise and will cancel and go clockwise with rudder input but as soon as I release away she goes again in the other direction.

Unfortunately the dealer I purchased the kit from could barely be less interested. He states he sells them not repairs them.........

I agree the manual is well illustrated however I honestly feel the English instructions are very very unclear at best. I have read the instructions for the transmitter, receiver and also the helicopter manual a few times but I am still struggling to understand exactly how I go about setting up the giro hold. I can change the gain on the transmitter, on the giro/receiver but neither seems to make the slightest difference to the helicopters behavior.

Any advice would be gratefully received. Also aside from the Gain adjuster on the receiver, what does the other pot do. On the receiver is states agility ( I am assuming its a quicker response to transmitter controls = more agility. )??

Apologies for all the questions and thanks again for the help.

Kind regards

Hec
My response was the following:
What is the name and country of your dealer? You need to post this information. Any dealer that says they are not interested in supporting their buyers needs to be "outed" here.

Make sure tail belt is taut and not loose; make sure that the tail blades are installed in the correct direction. Make sure that the tail rotor holder is not slipping on the transmission shaft. Then with the rudder trim set to center on the transmitter, slide the tail servo holder slightly one way or the other until the helicopter will keep the heading without input into the rudder control. Sounds like the replacment of the boom has changed the position of the tail servo enough that it needs to be repositioned to put the tail blades more near center position to hold the helicopter position

Max
www.parkrcmodels.com
www.skyartec-usa.com
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:53 AM
Joined Dec 2008
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hecmac View Post
...... My tail issue is partially resolved. I changed the boom and when doing so installed the belt the wrong way round. ......
Some of the older manuals are showing the belt position incorrectly in the manual. We have attached a picture of the correct belt position. Below the correct direction of the tail rotor and the blade positions with the fat part of the tail blade going in the direction of rotation.
Another subtly when you re-assemble the tail is that the small black part that is the H shaped piece (#7) called the pitch shifter block has a lip or ridge that must go inward as shown in the graphic. It it installed toward the tail rotor blades the Push-Pull Hoop (#9) will not have the full travel range it needs, making adjustment of the tail rotor very difficult.

Max
www.parkrcmodels.com
www.skyartec-usa.com
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:57 AM
Joined Dec 2008
826 Posts
Quote:
Max,
Thank you for your expert comments on this matter. I too think this is a dangerous situation.
I think returning the bird may have to be done but, I'm hoping it's something less than that. I don't mind working with the dealer with trying to resolve this issue. I'll bet that 99% of the kit does work correctly, but that one piece is the problem.
In order to try to work around the issue the dealer sent me another ESC, which I replaced with no change in the situation. It's beginning to look like the receiver.
I like the concept of this bird and I'm looking forward to having it work correctly.
Did you ever get this issue resolved? If so what was the resolution that worked for you?

Max
www.parkrcmodels.com
www.skyartec-usa.com
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:45 AM
Joined Oct 2012
18 Posts
Still waiting

Max,
I'm still waiting on the one-way bearing and the 303 rx. My dealer is in China so the turn around time is ~10 days. He claims the new rx has the latest upgrades programmed in.
We had tried another ESC in order to see if that was the issue with the motor running on after everything was shut down. That did not work.
Both new items should be here next week.
I have many other birds to play with in the meantime so the extra waiting is not too bad.
I will post the results as soon as I get a chance to test fly again.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:14 AM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Just to let you know that my X3 V is now back up and running after getting a new X303V gyro it would not work correctly and kept moving the swash plate forward and to the left so far that it would jam the swash plate against the main shaft and consequently jam and stop the motor.

After talking with Michael from Skyartec China and him sending me a Programming unit Part No: HS046-1 and updating it to the new Ver 1.1 firmware it is now fixed and flying again.

Thanks Michael and Max and James for your time and effort into getting this problem resolved.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:59 PM
Joined Dec 2008
826 Posts
Choice of correct Firmware upgrade is important

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyartec View Post
3 axis gyro ugrade demo video and it is also for x303v
skyartec wasp nano cp software upgrade demo (3 min 48 sec)

After much frustration and experimentation I have found that IF you upgrade the X303v Receiver unit, ONLY use the Firmware Rev 1.1. I found that if I load the Rev 1.0 first, then tried the Rev 1.1 the receiver would lock up. Finally on a factory fresh X303v I got the Rev 1.1 to load the first time. So disregard the Rev 1.0 and go directly to Rev 1.1.

Now with that said; updating computer firmware is risky; if your computer locks up or if the system fails in anyway during the upgrade, you might find your receiver will not function. The firmware has small corrections that most users will simply not need or see any benefit from. I believe in the concept, "if it isn't broke, don't fix it"

Max
www.parkrcmodels.com
www.skyartec-usa.com
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Parkflying; Jan 20, 2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:32 PM
Joined Dec 2008
826 Posts
Quote:
The issues I'm have are
1.binding
Thanks
I was not able to re-create this situation until now. We test fly every Skyartec Helicopter before we ship it to the buyer. We know that every helicopter is test flown at the factory and video taped. So generally we don't expect any major problems. We had one come in a shipment from the factory that would shutdown at full throttle; lose binding and generally act erratic until the battery was disconnected and re-connected. Similiar to the issue you reported

After 6 hours on the bench here is what I found. It was not the ESC ( we installed a larger capactiy ESC). It was not the motor ( we changed motors). It was not the receiver ( we replaced the X303v with another known good and also tried a X302 known good receiver). It was not the 9 gram head servos or the digital tail servo - we tried serveral and many. It was not the transmitter- we tried several NASA701 and Sky706.
The upgrade to REV 1.1 of the firmware did not solve the problem.
So what was it, you ask?
Well here it is !!
The answer is: excessive vibration, for this case, in the tail rotor. During shipment the fiberglass side shelf that holds one of the step bearings in the tail rotor assembly got cracked causing the bearing to wiggle and move, causing the tail rotor to be off center, just enough that the tail was vibrating. This vibration caused the 3 Axis Gyro Unit to not be able to handle the mixed signals, trying to keep it stable and the receiver went in to shutdown mode. This is actually a good feature.
With the REV 1.1 loaded we never experienced the motor continuing to run. Just the light on the Receiver would blink, become unbound to the transmitter and unresponsive.
Our suggestion at this time is to ensure that the main shaft, the head and tail assembly are completely vibration free. Tail strikes can bend the transmission shaft and crack the side shelf part with the step bearing; a head strike can bend the main shaft.
If both sections are vibration free, you should have trouble free flying

Max
www.parkrcmodels.com
www.skyartec-usa.com
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:38 AM
Joined Oct 2012
18 Posts
Interesting

Max,
That was an unusual and interesting experience you had with that bird.
I checked the fiberglass side plates on the tail of the bird I have and they are OK.
The other situation that was different with my bird was that my experience with the motor not shutting down was always at a much lower throttle setting.
My limited understanding of how these birds work is that the ESC controls the motor based on certain conditions. Loss of signal is one. However, when the signal may be lost how come the motor was allowed to run?
Not having ready access to other ESC I was not able to do the testing you did, but it does raise the question with regards to why the motor ran on when the thorttle was closed and the throttle hold switch was shut.
This whole experience is bazaar. Things are happening that are not supposed to happen and things that are supposed to happen don't happen.
There has to be more to this story.