SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 29, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined Jan 2010
497 Posts
Discussion
Anyone carry their aircrafts/controllers in a hard suitcase / gun case??

I'm exploring ideas of a better way to pack around my RC gear and aircraft in a real durable, and bump proof manner.

Maybe I'm just a little too worried about damage, but when transporting all my various aircrafts, they always take much more space then needed because I worry about something falling over in the car and damaging something on the aircraft.

I've been thinking what would be real good is to get hard cases for some of my favorite aircrafts. Almost like a gun case, made of hard plastic or aluminum, with the inside foam custom cut to shape of the aircraft, with a custom spot for the transmitter, spare batteries, cameras and fpv gear, etc.

Probably would be rather easy for something like a folding tricopter to pack up real nicely in a case like that. An airplane could definetly require a much bigger case, but I would love to be able to just put a plane in a bump proof, crush proof, case so when I travel I could just toss it in the car, or in the back of a truck bed, and pile everything on top, and be rough with it with no worries. Rather than my current method of carefully perching a single aircraft on top of everything, and in plain view of thieves.

Wondering if anyone else does this, and if so, where do you find big hollow cases of varying sizes like that? I haven't found any yet, except gun cases which are too small.
carl1864 is offline Find More Posts by carl1864
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2012, 02:55 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
My brother uses a hard shell tx case.

For the planes you could use any foot locker large enough.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old May 29, 2012, 02:58 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,181 Posts
I'm using a plastic guncase for the trans. and many of the smaller lipos, 1300 ma and under. I glued in sole rubbery foam sheets for the trans. with holes in the foam for the sticks. The Velcro that holds the batts. in the planes also holds the batts in place in the case. Same case for about the last 8 yrs.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old May 29, 2012, 03:38 PM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,143 Posts
I bought a couple of small foam-filled aluminium flight cases for my transmitters. I can keep all the other fiddly bits with the tx (binding plugs, programming manuals etc.). Also means I can stick the tx on top of the case to keep it off the dirt.
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Old May 29, 2012, 03:56 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,500 Posts
I use a double pistol case for my two 9Cs, a rifle case for my Mini-Blade sloper, a K2 snowboard case for it's big brother the Blade XL and a padded aluminum tx case for batteries.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old May 30, 2012, 12:09 AM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood View Post
I use a double pistol case for my two 9Cs, a rifle case for my Mini-Blade sloper, a K2 snowboard case for it's big brother the Blade XL and a padded aluminum tx case for batteries.

mw
And a trash bag for after he flies em
David Hogue is online now Find More Posts by David Hogue
Old May 30, 2012, 12:32 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,500 Posts

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old May 30, 2012, 02:48 AM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,352 Posts
Hey now,
I use pistol cases for my transmitters, an ammo case for my batteries and the planes that get packed fir trips live in coroplast boxes I made my self. They're very strong, light weight and very cheap too. I've had a light truck run over one of those boxes with my favorite 1.5m slope racer in it with no damage at all.
RobII
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old May 30, 2012, 07:49 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
Easy to find TX cases as there are lots of suitable ones out there. Finding manufactured hard cases for models is a lot harder.

One option is the "Sport Tube", sold for carrying a couple of snowboards. Not cheap, but tough and the case length is adjustable.

Most hard rifle cases will only hold smaller models that have a removable horizontal tail, as well as a removeable wing.

I like Elfwrecks idea of homebrew Coroplast cases....am going to steal that idea!
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old May 30, 2012, 08:44 AM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,394 Posts
I use a Pelican case for my transmitter. You could probably drive over that thing and not hurt anything.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old May 30, 2012, 09:22 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
4,063 Posts
I bought a couple JR radios on ebay a few years back and they came with a sweet JR labelled gun case. I could never go back to loose transmitters.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old May 30, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined Jan 2010
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfwreck View Post
Hey now,
I use pistol cases for my transmitters, an ammo case for my batteries and the planes that get packed fir trips live in coroplast boxes I made my self. They're very strong, light weight and very cheap too. I've had a light truck run over one of those boxes with my favorite 1.5m slope racer in it with no damage at all.
RobII
This sounds like a fantastic idea. Where do you buy the coroplast, and about how much does it cost you to make a box big enough for a plane? Do you have any pics of one of your boxes?
carl1864 is offline Find More Posts by carl1864
Old May 30, 2012, 02:48 PM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,352 Posts
Hey now,
It's not my idea. I found it in a copy of Sailplane and electric modeler (now Sportflyer, I think). One of those one page articals they used to do.
I often get corroplast from old election signs for free. Or much bigger pieces from local sign shops. In a pinch I get it from Tap Plastics but they cost more. You can get in in different colours and thicknesses. I like to use the six milimeter size and sometimes double it for extra strength.
Done right it's almost as good as the Pelican case I just bought for my nifty new DX 10t radio. A very, very cool radio by the way. And the "tray" style of it allows me to fly without aggregating my arthritis or carpal tunnel.
Sorry I don't have pix for you folks. It's either buy a nifty camera or another plane. Planes always win out (go figure).
RobII
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old May 30, 2012, 03:26 PM
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Aug 2011
864 Posts
i use a hard transmitter case to hold my dx 6 and my 120 sr helli. I have seen a hotliner with tx in a gun case very cool.
xrx1113 is offline Find More Posts by xrx1113
Old Jun 03, 2012, 06:16 PM
Canada, MB, Steinbach
Joined Jul 2011
117 Posts
Carrying controllers

I bought a nice used attache case at thrift store. Glued the orginal foam packing controller was shipped in into it. Took a little time and cutting the foam. Have some room for other electronic gadgets etc. on the side. So cheap it was almost free.
zamjohn is offline Find More Posts by zamjohn