SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:30 AM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hixxer View Post
Gaz,
can I ask how you are opening the doors? I want to do the same and have the doors, hinges and a micro servo ready, but cant decide on the best way to open them. Did you use a control snake?
There is a micro servo mounted centrally in the wing same set up as with mechanical retracts and a sequencer to time and slow the servo,
Gaz-b is offline Find More Posts by Gaz-b
Last edited by Gaz-b; Dec 15, 2012 at 05:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:43 AM
United Kingdom, England, Nantwich
Joined Jan 2012
255 Posts
Thanks Gaz!
Hixxer is offline Find More Posts by Hixxer
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:59 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,525 Posts
Maidened this morning. I should not have due to the growing crosswind. I noticed yesterday the front wheel kept lifting when I would do a fast taxi down the runway, causing me to loose steering. I realized this morning it was due to the ultra tall nose gear so I kept the elevator down and since it gave the nose some traction I took off, another mistake.
CrashlandL39 (2 min 0 sec)

She flew plenty fast and aside for the elevator control being too strong she handled well.
Upon landing the wind had me spooked and that added to the stress of a possible low battery; it did not end well. Looking at the video perhaps I should not have aborted the first attempt to land. I finally came in way too hot.
I am planning to design some break away nose gear as opposed to the stock design. Next time I will use some patience and wait for a dead calm day; good advice to anyone here who figures he can take a chance on a maiden.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Last edited by urrl; Dec 15, 2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:15 AM
United Kingdom, England, Nantwich
Joined Jan 2012
255 Posts
Too bad Urrl, at least no major damage. Love your field!!
Hixxer is offline Find More Posts by Hixxer
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,525 Posts
Fixed the nose gear support. Not as hard as I thought. Just bought some thin plywood from the hobby store and went to work. Now the height of the nose gear is perfect and I'm ready to fly again, weather permitting.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:59 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,159 Posts
Ahhh.. Thats not to bad urrl. Just a crappy landing. We all do it from time to time. The plane is still in one piece.

Hint: Do not use flaps in a cross wind landing (or at least I dont and it works for me)
vettster is online now Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:39 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,525 Posts
Thanks for the tip!
Landing gear fixed:
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:25 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
Urrl,

Good to hear it was an easy fix. Thanks for showing the settings you used. I mounted a little 5V fan on the ESC to cool it.
Lmeano_from_MO is offline Find More Posts by Lmeano_from_MO
Last edited by Lmeano_from_MO; Dec 15, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,525 Posts
Great idea! Looks good!
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:26 PM
RC is healthy for your brains!
Italy, Lombardy, Milan
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
some guided selection

Dear all, I have been suggested by a good friend to step towards the habu 32.
It is a great suggestion, but I am always keen on attempting my own way through the hobby king supplies, even if it seems like a mania at times...
Could you please tell me what you think about picking between the habu 32, the l-59 and also the bae hawk? I find them similar, am I completely blind and missing evident, fundamental differences?
Thanks a lot!
.Superfly. is offline Find More Posts by .Superfly.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:52 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,525 Posts
I've had bad luck with the BAe Hawk. It's IMO easier to tip stall on take off than the L-59. Someone else may be able to tell you about the Habu32. I would guess if it's a foamy it would be easier to fly. I don't think it is especially fast in stock form from what I've seen. The L-59 is a great flyer but you can easily overdo the approach speed in a landing.
Here's a few clips of my BAe Hawk
My CMP BAe Hawk Maiden Flight (2 min 0 sec)

Notice the tip stall on take-off
CMP BAe Hawk (1 min 58 sec)
Last edited by urrl; Dec 16, 2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:00 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
891 Posts
The Habu32 is a great composite sport jet. Mine has been my weekly flyer since they came out. I use the Habu to warm up before flying my larger EDF's and turbine jet. She flies fine stock but mine performs really well on the 6s Mega motor in the stock fan. I probably have 500+ flights on her by now and she is as good as new. You're gonna drop nearly $1000 to put a new one in the air but you won't be disappointed.
Double E is offline Find More Posts by Double E
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:05 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2007
434 Posts
Nice Hawk Urrl, however I noticed that you did not fit any wing fences as per the real machine, these are mandatory to stop tip stalling...
dennisp_sg is online now Find More Posts by dennisp_sg
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:35 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,525 Posts
Here is my recent elevator servo horn adjustment for this morning's flight.

Three consecutive flights this morning, all with nice landings. This video is a combo of all three...
My Hobbyking L-39 2nd Flight (2 min 23 sec)

I have both a low speed and high speed pass in the video.
It's fast enough for me even though I have an 8S balanced fan waiting on the shelf I don't think I will be upgrading any time soon.
Really happy with this jet now that I bring it in more slowly for a landing.
Last edited by urrl; Dec 17, 2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:53 AM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
Urrl,

Nice flights, I noticed you chose not to use flaps for landing. Any reason? Agreed your field is awesome. Where is it,how long and wide?
Lmeano_from_MO is offline Find More Posts by Lmeano_from_MO