HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:27 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,484 Posts
Here is a strange solution that added 1kg thrust to his l-59. I may eventually drill the cheater holes into the internal ducts like I did before but I will first maiden without them.
Hobbyking Albatros L-59 Flight (7 min 51 sec)
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Last edited by urrl; Dec 14, 2012 at 03:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:19 AM
United Kingdom, England, Nantwich
Joined Jan 2012
255 Posts
I would rather not have the extra 1kg than have to two big holes in the fuz. Internally is an option maybe?
Hixxer is offline Find More Posts by Hixxer
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:40 AM
Joined Jan 2012
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz-b View Post
When Herb posted the last of the adhesive was drying on this now do I go back in and lay some carbon the wood is soaked in cyano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfNuq...ature=youtu.be
Gaz,
can I ask how you are opening the doors? I want to do the same and have the doors, hinges and a micro servo ready, but cant decide on the best way to open them. Did you use a control snake?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:42 AM
Joined Jan 2012
255 Posts
Ah dont worry, I looked again at your vid and I can see a control horn. Nice job btw.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:32 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
Anyone want $14 off
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...2-0448E241053D
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:29 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,484 Posts
I think they drop about $10 off it you leave it on the page long enough.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Mine was $179 without shipping cost because I waited on that page until the price dropped.
Postage was a reasonable $42 ground shipping.

Nitroplanes has the L-39 for $182
http://www.nitroplanes.com/cmp-cp09-090-kit.html
But I don't know if the packaging has improved like at Hobbyking.
Last edited by urrl; Dec 14, 2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:28 AM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urrl View Post
Here is a strange solution that added 1kg thrust to his l-59. I may eventually drill the cheater holes into the internal ducts like I did before but I will first maiden without them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1RR5pij0Yo
more likely what happened is he lost 1.3kg thrust by removing the internal intake ducts and then got back 1kg thrust by cutting two giant cheater holes in the fuse
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:08 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,484 Posts
I learned one good thing from the video though; notice him taking the nose of the jet and rocking it to test the balance point. If tipped to far the jet will tilt toward the tail or the nose, either way, pretty much what my jet does.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:24 AM
Mile High EDF
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2011
938 Posts
Mine also , that's how I got it to balance . I'm really hoping that's on CG .
420flyboy is offline Find More Posts by 420flyboy
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:11 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
more likely what happened is he lost 1.3kg thrust by removing the internal intake ducts and then got back 1kg thrust by cutting two giant cheater holes in the fuse
Here is what I took away from the video. It looks like it fly’s fast but what set up and at what cost to the air flow. I bet it would be better with the intakes ducts it comes with so who knows what he is testing. The ducts the kit comes with look nice to me. I have done bench test with/without an intake rounded lip and it lost up to a pound of thrust without the lip.

If I had to give my opinion for flow improvement areas it would be the intake lip at the glass fuse add on. It should be rounded and smoothly blended to the ducts and not just a sharp transition. The other area is the steep bend right up to the fan could also be a possible turbulent area. I moved mine fan 1.25in forward that might affect that area in a bad way because it is very close. I will see how long this one holds up to my landings, if it does I might hop it up more and change some of those areas.
Lmeano_from_MO is offline Find More Posts by Lmeano_from_MO
Last edited by Lmeano_from_MO; Dec 14, 2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:03 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,144 Posts
If you go back into the earlier post you will see that I maidened mine without the intakes and it flew like Crap! No power at all. I then installed the intakes and it did 165mph. No need to muck around with this jet(other than getting the CG) It will fly very fast with the stock configuration.

I did however sand down the intake lips as much as possible for maximum air intake.

Picture shows one intake sanded and the other stock
vettster is online now Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,484 Posts
Thanks for that tip vettster
I'm going to do the same.
Also sanded (dremeled) down the end exhaust hole opening of the fuse to match the exhaust tube.
If calm winds I plan to maiden tomorrow.
Changesun 6 blade fan
6S 5000/4800mAh 60C GensAce batteries
Castle Lite 100A ESC with outer plastic removed and placed against a small hole drilled into one of the tube intakes.
I have also filled the nose about a quarter to half full of epoxy so I will be able to mount a cam on the tail, since the battery will not have to be fully forward to balance the frame; I can shift the battery to balance the jet with the cam on the tail.
Last edited by urrl; Dec 14, 2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:06 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
I did however sand down the intake lips as much as possible for maximum air intake.
Vettster, that’s the area exactly!! Nice mod.

Here is my gear strut choice and mods. I got the 46 struts from PW-RC for $30.00 and the large electric retracts from HK. I no longer see them for sale at PW-RC anymore though. The max weight rating for them was not enough to support an 8lbs jet but the size was good so for $30 I would try. I made them work by installing longer springs in all 3 struts but the mains still sagged. I added o-ring material to the center of the main springs and that gave just enough support to keep them extended and provide very good damping. I really liked the idea from Urrl and used a control horn on top of the canopy and an aluminum dowel for the front. I also changed to foam tanks I had laying around which saved 4oz from using the glass tanks in the kit. It's ready for CG and taxi test if we can get some good weather.
Lmeano_from_MO is offline Find More Posts by Lmeano_from_MO
Last edited by Lmeano_from_MO; Dec 14, 2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,484 Posts
WOW! Nice work!
I like the lightning bat...
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:08 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,484 Posts
I wonder if this is still going on. It must be. I know I've had my share of damaged packages.
How Chinese post office (EMS) unloads packages (3 min 23 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen
UPS Throws My New Hard Disk Drive (0 min 12 sec)

UPS "Special" Delivery (0 min 21 sec)

FedEx Guy Launches Boxes Off Truck (2 min 25 sec)

Now I at least know how it may have happened.
Last edited by urrl; Dec 15, 2012 at 03:22 AM.