HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:17 AM
Joined Oct 2006
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hixxer View Post
Finding landing gear for this bird is a pain in the a55, I have ordered two sets now, neither seem right without major mods to the gear. Ah the joys of RC
Hobbyking has a nice gear which you only have to modify slightly.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=21165

All you need to do is to cut of some metal with a saw, drill a 4mm hole into the
remaining metal plate and then insert a 4mm screw to function as an axle.
On the wing you have to remove a few millimeters of balsa, thatīs all.
The unit fits perfectly into the wing and the big wheels are fantastic for takeoffs on grass.

I posted some pics including an "action" video before in this thread, look here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=981
loopsy is offline Find More Posts by loopsy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:51 AM
Mile High EDF
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2011
938 Posts
I'm using the Bae Hawk ones from Xflight, just drilled them out to 5mm , I also put stiffer springs inside the struts so they don't compress all the way.
I believe these will work also
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Oleo_Legs.html

I have a couple of extra springs that go right in. Found them on eBay , cheap.
420flyboy is online now Find More Posts by 420flyboy
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:52 AM
United Kingdom, England, Nantwich
Joined Jan 2012
255 Posts
Ahh they are the third set which are on the way, good to see they will fit without too much trimming and filing.
Thanks guys!
Hixxer is offline Find More Posts by Hixxer
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:05 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
Urrl,

Could you give your recommendation on control settings that you used on maiden or a setting that would have changed? Herb mentioned the manual had way to much aileron travel to start with but he didnít state how much to back out. I would like to start with just flying ovals not test role rates or anything till comfortable with it but still have a duel rate settings. Iím leveling servoís and making minor adjustments to them now and will set up the radio for maiden conditions/ taxi test next.

Jeff
Lmeano_from_MO is offline Find More Posts by Lmeano_from_MO
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:21 PM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopsy View Post
the big wheels are fantastic for takeoffs on grass.
Hey Loopsy have you flown yours off grass yet?
wollins is online now Find More Posts by wollins
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:29 PM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,484 Posts
Sorry I don't remember the aileron settings on my last L-59 so I am in the same boat as you when I maiden. The manual seems to conveniently skip how to install the elevator servos. I plan to epoxy the servos to the cover plate if that's a good idea for easy maintenance and put a dab of epoxy on each cover plate screw. As for the landing gear I have these installed:
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._45_L_59_.html
They seem a bit low rider for the L-59 but they also seem much sturdier than my previous landing gear for my last L-39
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Hawk_L_59.html
These were really wobbly and I would stay away from them if I were you.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:39 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jan 2007
328 Posts
The wobbly is caused by loss joints which are secured by some easy to loss c-clips, I replaced the c-clips with screw&nuts and tighten them down to a point where it can move freely but no play in between. I removed most of the wobbly using this method.
nerv is online now Find More Posts by nerv
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,484 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll get around to repairing the ones I have for spares.
Doesn't look like I will be using that heli auto stabilization Rx; it has no AUX inputs and when I Y connect the flaps with the landing gear, which seems to be my only solution, the flaps deploy when the landing gear are up instead of the other way around (landing gear down and flaps down) so until I can find a servo reverser I will be using a standard Rx.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,484 Posts
All that is left is to install the canopy, pilots and nose gear, but the nose gear looks kinda difficult and I will have to do some dremel work and cutting, so I'm calling it quits after working on it all day. I'm using 6S system for now but I have an 8S fan with a balanced motor on the shelf. If the maiden is successful I'll cross over to 8S.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:31 PM
Mile High EDF
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2011
938 Posts
Looking good
420flyboy is online now Find More Posts by 420flyboy
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:18 AM
edf flyer
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Feb 2009
1,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urrl View Post
All that is left is to install the canopy, pilots and nose gear, but the nose gear looks kinda difficult and I will have to do some dremel work and cutting, so I'm calling it quits after working on it all day. I'm using 6S system for now but I have an 8S fan with a balanced motor on the shelf. If the maiden is successful I'll cross over to 8S.
Getting the cg right on a 6s setup might be challenge. I added a lot of nose weight on a 8s setup. This jet flies horrible if the cg isn't right (under statement huh. Any jet for that matter) I'm using a heavy fan setup. Cs12b. HET 700-68-1400 motor. I moved my esc to under the battery tray. That helped a little.
Good luck on the maiden
Mannyman535 is online now Find More Posts by Mannyman535
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:45 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,484 Posts
It was a bit of challenge. After I glued in a plank of mahogany to reinforce where the battery would sit, then placing the battery totally forward, then adding the pilots and gluing them in it seems to balance out but I would prefer it t be slightly nose heavy. I measures 240cm from the center of the jet and then 55mm from the edge there and it seems to balance fine with a 50000mah battery. I will take it to the air strip and run it up and down the runway to check steering but I doubt if I will maiden today; I'd rather wait for calmer wind. I will fly it without rudder control but I may install a rudder servo afterward. Notice how I use a zip tie to keep the steering cables spread apart
Last edited by urrl; Dec 12, 2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:32 AM
United Kingdom, England, Nantwich
Joined Jan 2012
255 Posts
I like the zip-tie idea, nice and simple!
Hixxer is offline Find More Posts by Hixxer
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,484 Posts
Thanks; I got the tip from my local hobby store.

Since the crosswind was about 14 mph I decided to do a little teaser video instead of a maiden.
L-59 (0 min 55 sec)

Notice how the tip tanks are so low to the ground; I definitely won't be doing a first flight with these...or perhaps never; just use them for decoration when I hang the jet from my room ceiling.

One question to those who have flown this jet and still have it; with the battery installed, if you tilt the jet back on its tail and then let go will it tilt back onto the nose gear or not? Mine remains on it's tail with a 5000mah battery.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:43 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jan 2007
328 Posts
Mine comes down by itself. however the retract I have is the L39 retract which has trailing link and wheels are sit alittle backwards to match the retract wall. That may explain why my nose comes down easier simply because the mains wheels sit a little more backwards.
nerv is online now Find More Posts by nerv