SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:55 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hixxer View Post
Urrl, I'm new at this so forgive my ignorance -
Doesnt all those holes bugger the airflow up?
Why not just wrap the tubes with carbon tow?
Since this was my first composite jet with tubing I was pretty ignorant of carbon tow and airflow when I made these adjustments, but like I say, I would not advise doing them as I don't think my ducts were properly glued. Nevertheless it got me up in the air quick and easy. The cheater holes may have helped or hurt airspeed but guess the only way I will ever be sure is to build the new L-59 without them. In fact I cut a hole in one of the ducts and placed the ESC against the hole for added cooling.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Last edited by urrl; Nov 30, 2012 at 07:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:17 AM
United Kingdom, England, Nantwich
Joined Jan 2012
255 Posts
I understand. It's always good to experiment
Hixxer is offline Find More Posts by Hixxer
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:54 PM
Mile High EDF
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2011
936 Posts
Well here it is, new retracts installed HKs metal ones , they say rc lander on them. Drilled struts out to 5mm.
AUW is 8lbs 8 oz's. very nice detailed cockpit.
420flyboy is offline Find More Posts by 420flyboy
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:16 AM
Joined Oct 2006
38 Posts
Hello All,

I want to show you how I reinforced the landing gear mounts, using a slightly
different method compared to the ones shown in this thread so far.

Because I am generally too lazy to cut wooden parts and rebuild ribs I dropped
the plan to add plywood and went for CFK-tape instead....

Cut several pieces with a scissor which I arranged "dry" into the wheelwell,
making sure they overlap a tiny bit and then appliead 15min epoxy with a small brush. Very easy.

The pictures (made with an iPhone) do look like I missed a few corners, but
actually all pieces are overlapping nicely, making it a strong structure with
little effort and only a small weight increase.

I used only 8g of Epoxy on each side, approx 5g for laminating the different
pieces of CFK-Tape and the remaining 3g were mixed with microballons, which
I used to "coat" part of the ribs (towards the trailing edge) and put some also
into the corners of the mount-plates.

The black tape is difficult to see, but I guess you understand what I've done.
Time per Wing 15 mins, for those who still ask themselves "yes or no"....
Here are some pictures.
loopsy is offline Find More Posts by loopsy
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:34 AM
Life's short - Enjoy!
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Nov 2009
623 Posts
well done Loopsy, exactly what I had in mind (and already done on my Yak-55)
DeeCee 57 is online now Find More Posts by DeeCee 57
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:56 PM
Mile High EDF
Joined Jul 2011
936 Posts
Some more mods today after ground tests, springs where totally compressed on the mains . I had some other springs that are harder and made them fit in , now it sits up high and has some damping action. I also replaced the front strut with some new 46 class struts from xflight.

During ground testing I hooked up watt meter on fully charged lipos, much better
79.3 amps
2300 watts
8s 4000mah 25-50c nano.
This should give me 3 minutes WOT or 5 minutes of varied flight.
I am very pleased with this plane , went together well , parts lined up, now the maiden
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:32 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,479 Posts
I had to get on live chat to find out what's taking so long for my L-59 to ship out. They fixed it and at least now I have a tracking number with USPS.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:20 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,479 Posts
@420flyboy
Looking good. What type landing gear do you have that the springs are weak? Where did you get them? I ordered the all metal variety from Hobbyking. Hope they are not weak.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:45 PM
Mile High EDF
Joined Jul 2011
936 Posts
I'm using the xflight bea hawk struts
http://www.x-flight.com.hk/index.php...ion%20Expiried!
And this
http://www.x-flight.com.hk/index.php...&more=&lang=en
Just the front strut.
Last edited by 420flyboy; Dec 02, 2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:11 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,479 Posts
Those BAe Hawk struts are stock if you buy the L-39 PNP from Scaleflying.com
The springs are certainly weak as you say. They look cool but all of the screws need lock tight and the screw that is involved with locking the spring in can come out easily. Not sure if it can be lock tighted. I still have a set of those gear left over from my L-39. The wheels a very wobbly due to the whole strut assembly being a loose fit. I hope the all metal ones from Hobby King are better quality. Not saying your set will not work but take care you lock tight as many screws as possible. It's good that you found some better springs. Looks like the nose gear is not from the BAe Hawk set so it's probably a good thing. Hope your maiden is successful.
Last edited by urrl; Dec 03, 2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:59 AM
Joined Jul 2010
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmeano_from_MO View Post
The fan mount is complete. Thanks Vettster for pointed out the fan relocation idea and lowering it for correct thrust line. Herb also had ideas for correcting this. It is 1 ¼“forward and ¼ “lower in the fuse. Mine looks right on also. The ducts have all been trimmed and fitted. The outer intakes fit so well I will rely on small screws to hold them in place in case I need to get back there. All mods are complete. I used Dan Eaton’s CS fan for fit till I get mine to balance and thrust test in before finial install.
I am going to install the fan tomorrow and jut want to make sure that 1/4" lower means the fan needs to be moved more to the hatch and away from the rudder, right? Or is it the other way around.
I was just a bit confused while reading all the post in two different threads. Thanks for the pics by the way.
rexmexx is offline Find More Posts by rexmexx
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:53 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexmexx View Post
I am going to install the fan tomorrow and jut want to make sure that 1/4" lower means the fan needs to be moved more to the hatch and away from the rudder, right? Or is it the other way around.
I was just a bit confused while reading all the post in two different threads. Thanks for the pics by the way.
Remexx,

The CS fan is up into the fuse so per your description it would be towards the rudder. When you lay out your ducting and fan visualize the thrust line. In mine it was pointing up towards the rudder. Herb noticed this early on and made a angle piece on the end of the thrust tube in his build, others here have move the fan. The CS fan is a long housing assembly which makes it more noticeable. I have had thrust line problems before and from the look of the Nitro sales page and the L-39 video it looks like it landed with a combination of either wrong CG or thrust line. I want to avoid both issue. This is the measurements I came up, maybe others can chime in with their thoughts. I don’t have my jet fully assembled or a maiden yet, just need my fan and test it on the bench then finial assembly.
Lmeano_from_MO is offline Find More Posts by Lmeano_from_MO
Last edited by Lmeano_from_MO; Dec 03, 2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:45 PM
Mile High EDF
Joined Jul 2011
936 Posts
I installed a wemotec , didn't move the mounts , looks like the thrust line is right to me . I did cut the thrust tube right down the middle and fit it around the fan then put the fan in, cut the excess off the end coming out.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:36 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmeano_from_MO View Post
Remexx,

from the look of the Nitro sales page and the L-39 video it looks like it landed with a combination of either wrong CG or thrust line.
I went back to watch the Nitro sales page video again but funny thing it was replaced with a talking video. The one I saw was from some Asian field in the hills I think. The Jet would not settle in on landing and nosed up at power cut landing. Looked like the guy tore the gear right out of it on the maiden.
Lmeano_from_MO is offline Find More Posts by Lmeano_from_MO
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:56 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jan 2007
325 Posts
You must be referring to this video:
L-39.wmv (2 min 59 sec)

It does look bad because he's flying tail heavy, but it also shows you this jet has lots of tolerance on wrong CG. If it's a Hawk, it would be only a 10sec video.
nerv is offline Find More Posts by nerv