SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:05 AM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
Urrl,

Very helpful. Looks like you have It coming in slower than most of the videos I have seen and I will keep speed in mind for landing. Did you have any issues with flap adjustment and role? I Y’ed the ailerons and set separate channels on the flaps in case I need to adjust them more easily.
Lmeano_from_MO is offline Find More Posts by Lmeano_from_MO
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:22 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmeano_from_MO View Post
Urrl,

Very helpful. Looks like you have It coming in slower than most of the videos I have seen and I will keep speed in mind for landing. Did you have any issues with flap adjustment and role? I Y’ed the ailerons and set separate channels on the flaps in case I need to adjust them more easily.
Not sure but I think I was able to adjust the travel of each flap through the Tx.
I did add a little gadget to slow flap deployment:
CMP L-39 More Mods (0 min 26 sec)

The pilot helmet shown above I believe was purchased here:
http://www.amazon.com/Scale-Dragon-M...e+pilot+helmet

Here's an old idea I had for the canopy attachment. It did not work too well and I had to use a different method. I think if I had worked on it more it would have been successful though.
CMP L-39 Canopy Installation (0 min 36 sec)
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Last edited by urrl; Nov 28, 2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:03 AM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
Irrl,

I have the Hitec Aurora 9 that allows me to control deployment rate with a slide switch on the side of the transmitter. It should work great for this. The F-105 flap deployment would role it harsh even thought it looked good visually. It was all scratch made so the wing was not perfect but it was able to adjust out. Just curious.

You are the video documentation king, thanks again.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,525 Posts
Quote:
Irrl,

I have the Hitec Aurora 9 that allows me to control deployment rate with a slide switch on the side of the transmitter. It should work great for this. The F-105 flap deployment would role it harsh even thought it looked good visually. It was all scratch made so the wing was not perfect but it was able to adjust out. Just curious.

You are the video documentation king, thanks again.
I don't recollect any harsh roll whatsoever when the flaps were deployed.
The L-39 has a lot of wing surface and IMO this is one of the easiest jets to fly, however a hard landing can damage the wing unless it is reinforced. I learned to eventually re-skin the wings like a pro due to some hard landings starting out with this jet.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...581816&page=12
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:42 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Aug 2011
368 Posts
hi. is it worth getting it from nitroplanes? seems to be a good deal $168 and $193 shipped to new york. How is the quality?
Torchy is offline Find More Posts by Torchy
Last edited by Torchy; Nov 28, 2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:19 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchy View Post
hi. is it worth getting it from nitroplanes? seems to be a good deal $168 and $193 shipped to new york. How is the quality?
You have to consider the packaging. My L-39 and BAe Hawk were packaged really bad but some here are saying Hobbyking packaging of the L-59 has improved and looking at comments on the HobbyKing site I see some confirmation of this. If the CMP packaging is used and not fortified damage can be really bad. Personally I have had a few jets arrive with damage. Also Hobbyking claims to inspect the contents before shipping.

I notice this jet has been around for quite a while on the Nitroplanes site and still no reviews are posted. Instead it says "Be the first to rate this item!" IMO not a good sign at all.
Last edited by urrl; Nov 28, 2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:27 PM
Mile High EDF
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2011
938 Posts
My dx8 has a setting in the flaps that can slow them down , up to 5 seconds.

Just put it on the scale
With 8s 4000mah
7 lbs 14 oz's
with retracts.

Seems pretty lite to me
420flyboy is online now Find More Posts by 420flyboy
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:16 PM
Mile High EDF
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2011
938 Posts
Hooked up to the watt meter
SK3 1600kv
Wemotec 90mm 6 blade
2x 4s 4000mah 25-50c nanotechs
Pulled 69amps 1800 watts 8s. I don't think my lipos are fully charged. Full lipos I'm thinking more like 80A and 2200 watts , maybe.
420flyboy is online now Find More Posts by 420flyboy
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:43 AM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchy View Post
Torchy,

The nitro price was why I got one and it is the same jet. I got it shipped to MO for $184, HK price to me was $260 I believe back when I checking my options. I did get my first one damaged in shipping from UPS. I immediately contacted Nitro with an on line claim. Had full pic documentation before I opened the box and damaged pic's of fuse, wing that I sent Nitro. I also got PayPal involved. I also contacted Nitro from RCG. First they said I would have to wait till the claim would be settled from UPS then I would get a replacement. I can tell you that comment from a Nitro unleashed a hell storm from me. I also spoke to very helpful people at Nitro in CA ( I was polite to them) . I can report that in 4 days UPS picked up the damaged box, Nitro refunded my PP and I reordered at the same discounted price the next day. The new one arrived in perfect condition. I have never had a problem before with Nitro it was more a UPS issue. The box had fragile don’t stack stickers all over it plus it is a US shipped item. I would order from them again but I understand concerns. HK has jacked me around for 6 months over a foam jet they shipped me with 2 left wings. All of my pics and claims to them has gone no were. I guess we roll the dice with them all.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:54 AM
United Kingdom, England, Nantwich
Joined Jan 2012
255 Posts
"2 left wings" made me snigger. I hope you fitted them and then took the picture for HK!
Hixxer is offline Find More Posts by Hixxer
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:06 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hixxer View Post
"2 left wings" made me snigger. I hope you fitted them and then took the picture for HK!
Hixxer,

The way I fly sometimes I’m not sure it would make a difference. After watching Irrl videos and his report that the L-39-59 is a easy flyer should be OK for me. I would hate to drill a hole in our field with this one it’s a sweet kit.

I made the new fan mounts that moved it 1” forward and up into the fuse which should solve the thrust angle issues.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:35 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
The fan mount is complete. Thanks Vettster for pointed out the fan relocation idea and lowering it for correct thrust line. Herb also had ideas for correcting this. It is 1 “forward and “up in to the fuse. Mine looks right on also. The ducts have all been trimmed and fitted. The outer intakes fit so well I will rely on small screws to hold them in place in case I need to get back there. All mods are complete. I used Dan Eaton’s CS fan for fit till I get mine to balance and thrust test in before finial install.
Last edited by Lmeano_from_MO; Dec 03, 2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:26 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,525 Posts
Looks like a great fit. Remember that the intake tubing should be well glued to those outside covers or they will surely collapse at full throttle due to the rushing intake of air. There is a chance that this can happen to the forked tubing where it is inserted into the inner intake tubing also unless it is perhaps glued into the inner intake tube properly. You should thoroughly ground test before a test flight to determine if there is a collapse of any intake tubing. Be sure to monitor battery heat as a long ground test can swell your battery and shorten it's life as opposed to an inflight test, where there is less stress on the electrical components.

After intake collapse happened to mine (on the runway just before takeoff) I took a shortcut and drilled cheater holes into the tubing to prevent collapse but I would not advise others to do that, as I don't think my intake tubes were properly glued together. My thought was to help circulate air for the ESC also.

By the way, most of the videos of my L-39 have this mod.

Having a small room poses a storage problem, but being single has it's advantages as I can hang my aircraft from the ceiling or walls without a spouse complaining.

This is how i secured the canopy on my L-39 but I think I may try a different way on the L-59 if it ever gets here as it still has not actually shipped from Hobbyking.
Last edited by urrl; Nov 30, 2012 at 05:00 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:38 AM
Joined Jan 2012
255 Posts
Urrl, I'm new at this so forgive my ignorance -
Doesnt all those holes bugger the airflow up?
Why not just wrap the tubes with carbon tow?

And a general question -
Is there a nice mod to save having two servos mounted in the horizonal stabs for the elevators and use a single servo in the fuz anyone wants to share with me?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:41 AM
Joined Jan 2012
255 Posts
Quote:
Hixxer,

The way I fly sometimes Im not sure it would make a difference.
LOL! Not with me either