HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2012, 04:47 PM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
955 Posts
I think wire can be good. The issue I have with most is that the wire used is either too thin or is not springy so it doesn't return to shape.

Not a big fan of carbon as it is expensive to replace.
nac is offline Find More Posts by nac
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2012, 04:56 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nac View Post
I think wire can be good. The issue I have with most is that the wire used is either too thin or is not springy so it doesn't return to shape.

Yeah I suppose, but I've only had carbon break on me once out of 1000s of flights, and I almost always harrier land all my planes.

Personally, I'd rather replace a $25 landing gear on a 48 once in a blue moon than have to bend the gear back every other harrier landing.

Buuuuut everybody is different.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:48 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,091 Posts
Yeah, I dunno about CF gear on small planes. Steel (and some other metals) is an excellent material because it bends elastically and absorbs energy in the process. Then if you’re really rough with it, the steel bends plastically, which can normally be bent back again. CF has no such property, because it is such a stiff material it absorbs little energy in elastic deformation, then fractures completely.

I've had huge trouble with the CF gear on my two Precision Aerobatics planes. If designed incorrectly CF can be a totally unyielding material and if it doesn't break itself, it can tear out any gear mounting plate. The weight added in reinforcing all the structure attached to the CF to give the fuselage the strength it needs very quickly erodes any weight benefit. I'm convinced CF gear is mainly for market appeal and bling.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:03 PM
KING of PING!
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2008
1,058 Posts
spring steel is the ticket-but cost more
JDMCARPETS is offline Find More Posts by JDMCARPETS
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined Jan 2012
148 Posts
Also thinking because the elevator is foiled it may be stiffer than the competitors but something to consider.
geewow is offline Find More Posts by geewow
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:01 PM
Joined Jul 2011
33 Posts
Looks like the 3DHS 48" Extra in a different trim scheme. Only big differnece I see is the airfoiled tail feathers.
Belly Gunner is online now Find More Posts by Belly Gunner
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:55 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly Gunner View Post
Looks like the 3DHS 48" Extra in a different trim scheme. Only big differnece I see is the airfoiled tail feathers.
It looks very different to me. Take a closer look at the photos and description in the first post. There are many differences under the skin. Also, consider things like fuselage shape, fuselage length, wing shape, wing area, control surface size and shape etc.
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:32 AM
China, Guangdong, Zhuhai
Joined Nov 2010
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nac View Post

Most of the CF landing gears now are used for balsa planes, they may not be fit for thin fuselages of EPP foamies. It means extra cost if we want a certain size special for small foamies, especially when the quatity is still small because most of the EPP foamies now come with wires.

Wire landing gear is very easy to be produced, and it does have many advantages.
CNJ3 is offline Find More Posts by CNJ3
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:36 AM
Joined Oct 2011
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
It looks very different to me. Take a closer look at the photos and description in the first post. There are many differences under the skin. Also, consider things like fuselage shape, fuselage length, wing shape, wing area, control surface size and shape etc.
..... + airfoil, relationship of the levers(?).. (I mean the distance between CG and elevator, or between motor and CG) and many more details that influence the flight characteristics

...why people always compare every new epp plane with the slightly modified Skywing MXS (to many US citizens also known as the 3dh 48" Extra EPP)

Pete
3D Peter is offline Find More Posts by 3D Peter
Last edited by 3D Peter; Jun 22, 2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:48 AM
Joined Oct 2011
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNJ3 View Post
Most of the CF landing gears now are used for balsa planes, they may not be fit for thin fuselages of EPP foamies. It means extra cost if we want a certain size special for small foamies, especially when the quatity is still small because most of the EPP foamies now come with wires.

Wire landing gear is very easy to be produced, and it does have many advantages.
Frank, actually I have no issues with wire landing gears, especially since I started to land my foamies smoothly like I do (or try) with my balsas

Since I started to fly low, I discovered another advantage of wire gears:
during crash the wire often just bends back instead of breaking out the plywood and helps to minimize the damage
3D Peter is offline Find More Posts by 3D Peter
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:45 AM
China, Guangdong, Zhuhai
Joined Nov 2010
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Peter View Post
Frank, actually I have no issues with wire landing gears, especially since I started to land my foamies smoothly like I do (or try) with my balsas

Since I started to fly low, I discovered another advantage of wire gears:
during crash the wire often just bends back instead of breaking out the plywood and helps to minimize the damage
Thanks for sharing your opinions.
It should not be any problem for landing gear since you are able to land balsas smoothly
Last edited by CNJ3; Jun 22, 2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:37 AM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
One other thing.. For a 55+ inch plane, many of us will need to take the wings off to transport. It would be nice to be able to do that without the need for tools.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Jun 22, 2012, 07:45 PM
China, Guangdong, Zhuhai
Joined Nov 2010
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
One other thing.. For a 55+ inch plane, many of us will need to take the wings off to transport. It would be nice to be able to do that without the need for tools.
Thanks.

Main wings are connected by rubber belts, so only tool needed to take off them is two fingers.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:31 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNJ3 View Post
Thanks.

Main wings are connected by rubber belts, so only tool needed to take off them is two fingers.
It's a good thing that you didn't use grub screws. I saw a comment on Hobby King the other day where someone was complaining that they couldn't tighten grub screws tightly enough using their fingers .

Rubber bands are fine on these type of planes.
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:50 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,455 Posts
I just ordered one. My young son is in China right now, in fact taking a train to beijing right now if he's not already there. Hoping to arrange a tour of bestvaluerc's storefront/warehouse if possible, and possibly pick up some more stuff.

P.S. I notice there is no counter balance on the elevator. Not needed? [Upate: It is a 330LX, which do not have counter balances on elevator]
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Last edited by 7oneWo1f; Jul 28, 2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: updating answer to question