HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:07 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
Preordered mine - bestvaluerc.com says mine should be shipping in about 10 days.
Me too .... damn Jboy ... I am getting as bad as you regarding buying new planes. What new plane or planes are you bringing to the field today, once the June gloom lifting later today?
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:25 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
Me too .... damn Jboy ... I am getting as bad as you regarding buying new planes. What new plane or planes are you bringing to the field today, once the June gloom lifting later today?
Have plans with family visiting from out of town, so no flying this evening for me. My last build was a green PA Ultimate AMR, which I maidened the weekend before last. I have maybe 8 others sitting NIB waiting to be built (4 are spares, though). I can't do any builds at the moment as my workbench (aka dining room table) was cleared for visitors.

This is the last plane for a while - all the others I want are out of stock.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:38 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
I cracked a few balsa pieces in the fuse of my PA Addy this past Sunday. I was inverted coming low and slow at me when the prop stopped spinning and no control whatsoever. I ran as fast as I could to catch it but it skidded onto the grass before I can get to it. The cause --- over used and loose EC3 connector which disrupted the voltage to the esc.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:33 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,936 Posts
I just heard that the blue/black scheme planes will be available to ship from China tomorrow and the blue/red scheme planes will be available to ship from China in about a week.

I just sent an email to ask if I can change my order from a blue/red to a blue/black to hopefully get one here sooner .

If I really like the plane then I will get another kit in the blue/red scheme.
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:14 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,563 Posts
groovejet it wasnt a few days ago it was a few minutes ago.
cale10 is online now Find More Posts by cale10
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:21 AM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,259 Posts
Yes, we are shipping the blue/black, a.k.a. the chess version today. Those who pre-ordered the blue/red, a.k.a., the red version will have to wait for a few more days.

Cheers,

feda
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:17 AM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Any eta on a US distributor having these planes?
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:32 AM
China, Guangdong, Zhuhai
Joined Nov 2010
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
Any eta on a US distributor having these planes?
Please check here, thanks:

http://www.milehighrc.com/EPP_Extra330LX.html
CNJ3 is offline Find More Posts by CNJ3
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:27 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Frank - What can you tell us about the 56" model you mentioned at the other thread. Is it another full frame EPP? Any pictures you can share?

By the way, I am eagerly waiting for my red 48" EPP Extra 330 LX to ship.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:03 AM
China, Guangdong, Zhuhai
Joined Nov 2010
160 Posts
Quote:
Frank - What can you tell us about the 56" model you mentioned at the other thread. Is it another full frame EPP? Any pictures you can share?

By the way, I am eagerly waiting for my red 48" EPP Extra 330 LX to ship.
The blue/red 330LX will be avalible for shipping in 1 week. Hope your waiting is worthy, hehe..

Ok, now we are discussing what kind of structure will be better and what details we should focus on for that big size EPP foamy, then our engineers will make the drawing with CAD. So there is no picture to share for now.
Usually it will take about 3 weeks before the first prototype is avalible, and one more week to test fly it. Mostly we will need the second prototype to confirm everything we found that is not so good has been revised, and then test fly again until we are satisfied.
In this stage, any idea, opinion and thought will be appreciated, they will make the kit more like what we want. So please kindly let me know what you may concern. PM me or reply here, many thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:44 PM
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNJ3 View Post
The blue/red 330LX will be avalible for shipping in 1 week. Hope your waiting is worthy, hehe..

Ok, now we are discussing what kind of structure will be better and what details we should focus on for that big size EPP foamy, then our engineers will make the drawing with CAD. So there is no picture to share for now.
Usually it will take about 3 weeks before the first prototype is avalible, and one more week to test fly it. Mostly we will need the second prototype to confirm everything we found that is not so good has been revised, and then test fly again until we are satisfied.
In this stage, any idea, opinion and thought will be appreciated, they will make the kit more like what we want. So please kindly let me know what you may concern. PM me or reply here, many thanks!
Awesome - glad you asked. I don't have my WM plane yet, so you may have already incorporated some of the things I suggest.

I don't think wire landing gears will hold up well for this big a plane. Maybe carton fiber gears would be better along with a stronger mounting structure in the fuse.

Carbon fiber tube stringers (rather than a single carbon fiber backbone) would be nice to fight flexing and avoid damage during a crash or hard landing.

The 48" EPP planes I have use carbon fiber wing tubes coupled with a plywood spar going the length of the wing. That plywood spar breaks easily and results in part of the wing breaking off in a crash. A full length carbon fiber tube or a carbon fiber strip reinforced plywood spar would probably be a lot stronger. The ailerons also tear out of the foam in a crash, taking a part of the wing's trailing edge with it. It would be nice to have a balsa strip reinforcing the wing's trailing edge for the aileron hinges to bond to. For this size wing, it would probably prevent the aileron from flexing under load.

Given the size motor you will probably need for a plane this size, a thicker plywood motor mount/firewall would be good.

Lastly, I don't like the EPP layer covering the wood members underneath the canopy hatch. It makes it hard to spot if a wood member is fractured and needs fixing. It would be nice to leave them exposed. The canopy covers the whole area anyways so nothing is visible when flying.

Thanks for considering my ideas. I look forward to seeing what you have planned.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:36 PM
China, Guangdong, Zhuhai
Joined Nov 2010
160 Posts
Quote:
Awesome - glad you asked. I don't have my WM plane yet, so you may have already incorporated some of the things I suggest.

I don't think wire landing gears will hold up well for this big a plane. Maybe carton fiber gears would be better along with a stronger mounting structure in the fuse.

Carbon fiber tube stringers (rather than a single carbon fiber backbone) would be nice to fight flexing and avoid damage during a crash or hard landing.

The 48" EPP planes I have use carbon fiber wing tubes coupled with a plywood spar going the length of the wing. That plywood spar breaks easily and results in part of the wing breaking off in a crash. A full length carbon fiber tube or a carbon fiber strip reinforced plywood spar would probably be a lot stronger. The ailerons also tear out of the foam in a crash, taking a part of the wing's trailing edge with it. It would be nice to have a balsa strip reinforcing the wing's trailing edge for the aileron hinges to bond to. For this size wing, it would probably prevent the aileron from flexing under load.

Given the size motor you will probably need for a plane this size, a thicker plywood motor mount/firewall would be good.

Lastly, I don't like the EPP layer covering the wood members underneath the canopy hatch. It makes it hard to spot if a wood member is fractured and needs fixing. It would be nice to leave them exposed. The canopy covers the whole area anyways so nothing is visible when flying.

Thanks for considering my ideas. I look forward to seeing what you have planned.
Thank you so much for so many ideas and thoughts here! it might took a long time for you to type sucn a long post. Many thanks!
I would also like to share what I was thinking when the 48in Extra was designed and some thoughts for the new 56in(maybe 55in or 57in).

Wire landing gears are OK for kits under the size of 48in, I also agree we need carbon fiber landing gears for bigger size planes.

The fuselage of 48in Extra is restrengthened by 2pcs carbon fiber tubes and a long plywood "box" as you will see, there will be at least 4pcs bigger CF tubes for the 56in. The fire wall of 48in is made of 5MM plywood, the 56in will be at least 6MM, and th structure will be different to make the mount stronger as well. The wing area of the 56in will be close to our 49in Yak55M(49in Yak55M has a really big wing), the structure of the 49in Yak has been proved to work, so the 56in should also be close to it.

For the EPP layer covering the wood members underneath the canopy hatch, what I was thinking is that I want this kit to be more coordinate in looking, not only when the canopy covers in flying, but also when it is opened to replace batterries. Let's comfort ourselves all the time.
To be honest I wasn't thinking so much if the kit crashes and how it should be repaired, (cause I always ge a new one after crash, Joking) I will think about it more for the 56in.

I can not promise every idea will be realized cause we also need to balance different needs from other friends and the needs for production as well, but I really appreciate your ideas and thoughts here.

Frank
Last edited by CNJ3; Jun 20, 2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:32 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNJ3 View Post
Thank you so much for so many ideas and thoughts here! it might took a long time for you to type sucn a long post. Many thanks!
I would also like to share what I was thinking when the 48in Extra was designed and some thoughts for the new 56in(maybe 55in or 57in).

Wire landing gears are OK for kits under the size of 48in, I also agree we need carbon fiber landing gears for bigger size planes.

The fuselage of 48in Extra is restrengthened by 2pcs carbon fiber tubes and a long plywood "box" as you will see, there will be at least 4pcs bigger CF tubes for the 56in. The fire wall of 48in is made of 5MM plywood, the 56in will be at least 6MM, and th structure will be different to make the mount stronger as well. The wing area of the 56in will be close to our 49in Yak55M(49in Yak55M has a really big wing), the structure of the 49in Yak has been proved to work, so the 56in should also be close to it.

For the EPP layer covering the wood members underneath the canopy hatch, what I was thinking is that I want this kit to be more coordinate in looking, not only when the canopy covers in flying, but also when it is opened to replace batterries. Let's comfort ourselves all the time.
To be honest I wasn't thinking so much if the kit crashes and how it should be repaired, (cause I always ge a new one after crash, Joking) I will think about it more for the 56in.

I can not promise every idea will be realized cause we also need to balance different needs from other friends and the needs for production as well, but I really appreciate your ideas and thoughts here.

Frank
Sounds like it will be a great plane and will have a lot of things on my wish list. Thanks for sharing.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 04:51 PM
Joined Jan 2012
148 Posts
I agree about the cf landing. It's a major complaint on other 48" epp extras
geewow is offline Find More Posts by geewow
Old Jun 21, 2012, 04:59 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geewow View Post