HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:33 PM
Joined Nov 2011
163 Posts
I maidened mine few days ago. Some coupling on KE. Where do you guys balance the plane at? I am still trying to get use to with hybrid plane characteristics. This plane flys heavier than my all epp foam Va-Models Loop.
am534615 is offline Find More Posts by am534615
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:52 PM
I believe in Jesus Christ
Germany
Joined Apr 2006
403 Posts
yep, it has some KE coupling, not sure about the CG because I didnīt measure it, just moved the batt and added some weight to the nose till it flew neutral, upright and inverted

my wm extra flys heavier than the skywings, due to the extra weight I guess, my AUW is about 1350g
a nice airframe to get used to the less floaty planes (blasaplanes)
denispeters is offline Find More Posts by denispeters
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:21 PM
Joined Nov 2011
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denispeters View Post
yep, it has some KE coupling, not sure about the CG because I didnīt measure it, just moved the batt and added some weight to the nose till it flew neutral, upright and inverted

my wm extra flys heavier than the skywings, due to the extra weight I guess, my AUW is about 1350g
a nice airframe to get used to the less floaty planes (blasaplanes)
Its weird but I still think that my Loop flys more similar to balsa eventhough its much lighter at 970g AUW.
am534615 is offline Find More Posts by am534615
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:25 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by am534615 View Post
Its weird but I still think that my Loop flys more similar to balsa eventhough its much lighter at 970g AUW.
Sounds to me like your Loop at 970g AUW would fly more like a Precision Aerobatics monowing balsa plane; light and floaty. Some people like that but I definitely don't. I prefer the Extreme Flight and 3D Hobby Shop balsa feel, which this Winner's Model plane feels like to me.

A couple of weeks ago, Nac and I were playing around with a new video camera and trying various focus methods and focal lengths. I was flying my Winner's Model Extra as the test subject. Since we were focussed on video settings, I didn't fly as aggressively as usual, but I think we still got some good flying footage, so I made a video.

Winner's Model 48in Extra 330LX SEPP - Testing a New Video Camera (4 min 44 sec)
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:43 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by am534615 View Post
I'm curious if you have any particular balsa plane in this size you could compare the Loop to. I'd like to know, if it's one I'm familiar with it would give me a better idea of what I could expect from the Loop if I get one.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:11 AM
I believe in Jesus Christ
Germany
Joined Apr 2006
403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
i prefer the extreme flight and 3d hobby shop balsa feel, which this winner's model plane feels like to me

https://vimeo.com/58291406

++1
denispeters is offline Find More Posts by denispeters
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:40 PM
Don't worry be happy :)
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
...I prefer the Extreme Flight and 3D Hobby Shop balsa feel, which this Winner's Model plane feels like to me.
...we still got some good flying footage, so I made a video...
Nice video and great flying as usual!
Are you still using the Scorpion SII 3020/890 in this plane on 3 cells?
What size is the battery, which propeller and what servos are you using?
It looks like a great airplane to do some serious training with.
I really like the clean look and the uncomplicated design, but I'm still undecided.
I have a Scorpion SII 3020/890 I could use, though.
Stark is offline Find More Posts by Stark
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:42 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark View Post
Nice video and great flying as usual!
Are you still using the Scorpion SII 3020/890 in this plane on 3 cells?
What size is the battery, which propeller and what servos are you using?
It looks like a great airplane to do some serious training with.
I really like the clean look and the uncomplicated design, but I'm still undecided.
I have a Scorpion SII 3020/890 I could use, though.
Thanks Stark.

I currently use the following gear in this plane:
Scorpion 3020-890
Vox 14x7 prop
Turnigy 3S2650 40c lipos (to help with weight distribution since I don't use spinners)
Turnigy 2216MG servos
Turnigy Plush 60A ESC
Turnigy Voltage Protector to smooth out power fluctuations due to digital servo high current needs (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16223)
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:51 PM
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
Thanks Groovejet!
I have 3 cells 2200 mAh batteries at hand so a lighter motor than the Scorpion would not be a good idea then.
Never heard of a voltage protector before.
I will probably use the Identical HW FlyFun 60A and a separete UBEC to get to 6V.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:59 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
I'd be interested to hear more about that voltage protector too. I'd like to know if anyone has any definitive data on if and how it works. It's just a capacitor, if it was that easy why isn't it just built into rx's?
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:03 AM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
955 Posts
Hitec Digital Servo with Plush 60A ESC (0 min 47 sec)

Its only issue with some digital servos and some ESC's. We found the same problem with other Turnigy digital servos.
nac is offline Find More Posts by nac
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:48 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Wow that's amazing, thanks for posting the vid. At least if I ever come across a similar problem I'll have an idea on how to fix it.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:32 AM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nac View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7ikgrI3fDM

Its only issue with some digital servos and some ESC's. We found the same problem with other Turnigy digital servos.
Is it your video? I am using a 60 Amp plus with savox digital servos on a plane with no problems. Just showing 1 symptom and a bandaid (no offense intended) is useful, but doesn't get to the underlying cause. But I do guess the underlying cause is noise on the BEC output voltage...just not enough info, photos/test setup, or the right equipmeent to know.

But yep, in general, capacitors can be used to clean up voltage noise. And honestly thanks for the video...it takes a lot of time and effort to do what you've done...I know because I always get to lazy and decide against doing such videos.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Last edited by 7oneWo1f; Jan 30, 2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:11 AM
United States, PA, Catawissa
Joined Jul 2011
360 Posts
I run Savoxx digital servos on my Extrmflightrc Edge. I also had to plug in a capacitor on an unused channel. On my case, elevator servo would jitters itself with no input. And its with the airboss 45A esc.
rc4u is offline Find More Posts by rc4u
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:43 AM
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
I have built and flown 4 small aircraft in the EPP material and I must say I'm very happy with the performance of the planes! These models have really developed my skill and they have coped with many mistakes on my part and only needed simple repairs.

When I was looking for new servos and a Dualsky motor for the Mini, I also saw some larger planes made of EPP, including an Extra 330LX at a store. I started reading this thread because I was curious to learn more about the plane and now I'm finished with the thinking part so today I got the package.

I will get the motor and servos in a later shipment in a couple of weeks so I will not start the build yet.
Last edited by Stark; Feb 25, 2013 at 01:35 AM. Reason: spelling and some other things :)