HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:33 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleary View Post
N614etc,I only brought it up because I only just saw what you wrote.
As for the rest of your expectations,good for you,I hope it works out for you,spend your money where you want,I couldn't care less.
Thanks man, I appreciate that. Have a nice day.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:58 PM
KING of PING!
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2008
1,063 Posts
CNJ3 Magnetic wheels-steel wall Good sticks my friend
JDMCARPETS is offline Find More Posts by JDMCARPETS
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:40 AM
can't buy vaporware
Joined Nov 2011
8,516 Posts
Is a landing gear mod necessary? On my son's techone yak54, I kind of like the fact that it breaks away and limits damage on bad landings (when my son was learning...).
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:47 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,935 Posts
The landing gear mod is certainly necessary on the 48" Skywing, Hokusei and 3DHS planes that are made by Skywing if you fly from rough fields and/or land heavily from time to time. Just take a look on those threads and you will see a sorry tale of broken gear mounts for people that haven't done this mod or a different mod that achieves the same effect.

The landing gear mount on the Winner's Model Extra appears to be stronger based on its construction. There is lots of good solid wood and there are 2 CF braces on the front wood plate and 2 CF braces on the back wood plate. Even so, if you fly from rough fields regularly and/or land heavily from time to time, this mod will earn its value. I prefer to spend a bit more time building a plane in order to reduce the maintenance that will be required once I start flying it. An added bonus to doing this mod when you build it is you will be gluing unbroken pieces of wood .
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
Last edited by groovejet; Jul 07, 2012 at 02:03 AM. Reason: typos
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:54 AM
can't buy vaporware
Joined Nov 2011
8,516 Posts
Thanks. I'll have to take a look when I get it. We have a pretty good landing strip (tarp over sandy soil), and I'm usually pretty good about landing these days, but the part about unbroken wood is enticing, and there is always a bad landing in everyone's future.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 02:15 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,935 Posts
Almost finished

All I need to do to finish this plane is add some velcro for the ESC and battery.

I was planning to use a Dualsky 3542 EA 5 motor in this plane, but it seems to have been seriously delayed or lost in the post, so I used a 166g Scorpion motor instead.

I used the following gear:

- Scorpion 3020-890 motor
- APC 13x6.5E prop
- MG-14 servos
- Long CF servo arms
- Turnigy Plush 40A ESC
- Turnigy 3S2200 40C lipo (205g)

AUW is 1280g including a few mods that add some strength, since I really wring out these planes .

Something to look out for on the build; the EZ connectors provided with the kit require a 1.8mm hole. I only had 1.5 and 2mm drill bits on hand, so I used Hobby King 2mm EZ connectors http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0pcs_set_.html, which seem to be the same as the ones provided in the Skywing 48" kits.

Oh, can someone please come over and do some weeding? I'm too busy building planes .
Last edited by groovejet; Jul 07, 2012 at 03:29 AM.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 02:54 AM
China, Guangdong, Zhuhai
Joined Nov 2010
160 Posts
Congratulations on finish assembling! safe and happy maiden flight!

Your lipo is bout 40g heavier than mine, and motor is about 30g hearvier. Look forward to know how it perform on AUW 1280g.
CNJ3 is offline Find More Posts by CNJ3
Old Jul 07, 2012, 03:42 AM
IMK
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2005
181 Posts
Groovejet, that looks really sharp. Can't wait to hear about your maiden.
IMK is offline Find More Posts by IMK
Old Jul 07, 2012, 03:49 AM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
Oh, can someone please come over and do some weeding? I'm too busy building planes .
My grass needs cutting
nac is offline Find More Posts by nac
Old Jul 07, 2012, 05:30 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,015 Posts
Quote:
All I need to do to finish this plane is add some velcro for the ESC and battery.

I was planning to use a Dualsky 3542 EA 5 motor in this plane, but it seems to have been seriously delayed or lost in the post, so I used a 166g Scorpion motor instead.

I used the following gear:

- Scorpion 3020-890 motor
- APC 13x6.5E prop
- MG-14 servos
- Long CF servo arms
- Turnigy Plush 40A ESC
- Turnigy 3S2200 40C lipo (205g)

AUW is 1280g including a few mods that add some strength, since I really wring out these planes .

Something to look out for on the build; the EZ connectors provided with the kit require a 1.8mm hole. I only had 1.5 and 2mm drill bits on hand, so I used Hobby King 2mm EZ connectors http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0pcs_set_.html, which seem to be the same as the ones provided in the Skywing 48" kits.

Just fly low inverted a lot, that always seems to get rid of some weeds for me. It is kind of rough on the elevator balance tabs though.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Jul 07, 2012, 08:23 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
Just fly low inverted a lot, that always seems to get rid of some weeds for me. It is kind of rough on the elevator balance tabs though.
hehe. This plane doesn't have elevator counter balance tabs, so it'd do OK over grass, but these weeds are growing in gaps between bricks on my driveway. Maybe I need a skilled 3D heli pilot to take care of it whilst flying inverted .

I reckon that in 12 hours' time, I'll have maidened this plane. I'll go to sleep shortly, dreaming of a successful maiden .
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:03 AM
Hope is not a Strategy
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,475 Posts
Winner's Model 48in Extra 330LX SEPP 2012-07-06 (4 min 26 sec)

Expert flying, a pure pleasure to watch

Expecting big things from 3D-fly, this could be the start of a great line of models.
Lojik is offline Find More Posts by Lojik
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:06 AM
Hope is not a Strategy
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,475 Posts
Quote:
hehe. This plane doesn't have elevator counter balance tabs, so it'd do OK over grass, but these weeds are growing in gaps between bricks on my driveway. Maybe I need a skilled 3D heli pilot to take care of it whilst flying inverted .

I reckon that in 12 hours' time, I'll have maidened this plane. I'll go to sleep shortly, dreaming of a successful maiden .
you flying at PP bro? take some photo's mate would love to see it in the air
Lojik is offline Find More Posts by Lojik
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:46 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik View Post
you flying at PP bro? take some photo's mate would love to see it in the air
No, PP is too far from home for me to bother going there.

Sorry, we didn't get any in-flight photos, but there'll be some video later. Here are some ground shots for the time being.