HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2012, 02:59 AM
United States
Joined May 2012
214 Posts
Discussion
New Pusher for UAV/FPV or Multi-Purpose Plane

Hi all,
I wanted to show off my latest UAV/FPV design that I have been working on for the past several months.When I say my design, it means that I designed everything but the wing which is the wing for the HH Parkzone Radian Pro. I had planned to use a constant chord wing with around 66" (1676mm) until i watched a friend fly his RP. The proverbial light bulb turned on and I was off to the LHS to buy the wing.

The fuse was inspired by the "twin cargo" and "mult-purpose twins" but I didn't want to deal with multiple motors. The planforn is similar to the MQ-9 Predator and the the motor is way back at the tail to get it as far away from the camera as possible. It is built as an I-beam construction with the fuse sides cut from 9mm depron and the central floor plate from 6mm depron. Once bulkheads and gussets were added, it formed a rigid and strong structure. The bottom panel is made from Dollar Tree foam board with the paper removed. I like the slightly spongy texture that absorbs some of the shock when it belly lands.

It can take off from a dolly or it can be hand launched but it can't land back onto the dolly. Not by me at least. The wheels are made from the hubs of old rc wheels and the tires are made from pool noodles sliced to 3/4" (2cm).

Maiden Flight
The take off was a little eventful as the plane/dolly rolled down the runway the left wing dropped almost hitting the ground and then the whole rig turned left as the plane separated from the dolly and headed skyward. Wow! This airplane loves to fly and it does it better than I ever expected. It has a good climb rate at about 45*, it is stable but slightly pitch-sensitive but that has been fixed by setting low rate to 40%. With a few tweaks I think it will be a great flying camera plane. Wing supports have been added to the dolly so that the plane will stay level during take off runs.

Here's a couple of videos from the first three flights.

Scratch Built Experimental Prototype UAV/FPV Pusher On It's Maiden Flight Part One (2 min 29 sec)

Scratch Built Experimental Prototype UAV/FPV Pusher Takes First Video Part Two (3 min 4 sec)
FliegenFrosch is offline Find More Posts by FliegenFrosch
Last edited by FliegenFrosch; May 31, 2012 at 01:57 AM. Reason: For the purpose of embedding videos
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2012, 05:31 AM
Spearheading an Alliance
United States, CO, Aspen
Joined Oct 2010
794 Posts
UAV/FPV pusher

Nice, I like this.

Could you share some details about motor, esc, battery and prop?

Would love to see some close up photos of the wing attachment details as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing more flight reports and details. Good work and thanks for sharing.

Thanks,

BG
BravoGolf is offline Find More Posts by BravoGolf
Old May 29, 2012, 11:19 PM
United States
Joined May 2012
214 Posts

BravoGolf, thanks for the nice comment. Here's a few more details about this plane:

Motor: E-flite Park 450 BL Outrunner
ESC E-flite 40 amp pro with cooling fins
Prop 9 X 7.5 E-prop turned around backwards with motor rotation reversed
Radio Spektrum DX6i TX with AR-6210 RX
Servos 4 HS-81 in wing, HS-65 on rudder, and 1 HS-81 for elevator

I will snap a few more photos of the wing-mount details tomorrow and post them here as it was probably the most complicated part of the build.

FF
Old May 29, 2012, 11:37 PM
To many planes...no way
Joined Feb 2011
32 Posts
Great UAV plane

One more video take of this plane, a nice platform for UAV. I'm looking forward to seeing it in the air with its new paint job. Great work Alan.
Experimental RC Plane May 2012 (1 min 49 sec)
SnapshotRCFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SnapshotRCFlyer
Old May 29, 2012, 11:58 PM
United States
Joined May 2012
214 Posts
SnapshotRCFlyer---Still up past our bed time tonight are we. LOL Thanks for shooting the video---great job.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:03 AM
United States
Joined May 2012
214 Posts
My Airplane Has Morphed

I decided to add to the versatility of my plane by adding a second wing. The alternate wing is the wing for the E-Flite Apprentice 15-e. Now I can use the Radian Pro wing for larger fields and going up high then loitering around and the Apprentice wing for smaller fields where I can just fly around and shoot lower altitude videos. This has turned out to be a fun project and is still a work in progress. Next thing to change is to make the take-off dolly steerable.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 06:12 AM
Spearheading an Alliance
United States, CO, Aspen
Joined Oct 2010
794 Posts
multi purpose uav fpv pusher wing

Glad to see some new activity here.

Looks good, any flights on this version yet? More importantly any video? Did you program flaperons? How are the flight characteristics compared to the RP version?

Thanks for posting the update,

BG
BravoGolf is offline Find More Posts by BravoGolf
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:01 AM
United States
Joined May 2012
214 Posts
BG, I haven't been able to do a test flight because of the incessant winds we have been having. That should change on Thursday when the prediction is for calmer weather. The Apprentice wing can fly so slow that it doesn't really need flaps and you really have to work at it to make it stall. However, since I built this bird to experiment with, flaperons will eventually be added. Also to be added will be a different way to mount the camera so that it can see in directions other than straight ahead.
Hope to get some good video on Thurs. and it will be updated here.

FF
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:26 AM
United States
Joined May 2012
214 Posts
Finally got in a couple of flights with the Apprentice wing

The wind finally subsided to a low speed of 3-5 mph allowing me to get in a test flight on my "BTL-Goose" using the Apprentice 15-e wing. The name is derived from Betelguese, the red-orange star in the constellation Orion. The plane looks more like a goose with it's long neck so I went with. If anyone can come up with a better name, I'm all ears.

This little experiment tells me that an airplane doesn't really care what kind of wing you use as long as it is balanced properly and meets the criteria for stable flite. After all, it's all about the wing in the first place since that's the only part that flies, providing that it is stabilized in some way. Everything else is just useful baggage with the possible exception of lifting stabs.

Something that is surprising is that the Park 450 motor is suggested for 20 to 30 oz. park fliers in it's manual, yet this model is quiet happy with it at a weight of 42.8 oz. I'm going to have to make more flights with both wings to decide which configuration flies better because it flies very well either way.

FF

Scratch Built Experimental Prototype UAV/FPV (Part 3) (4 min 28 sec)
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:35 PM
E28
United States, AL, Troy
Joined May 2011
123 Posts
So, which wing do you like the most?
E28 is offline Find More Posts by E28
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:50 AM
Joined Nov 2005
670 Posts
will you be making plans available or measurements so we can build your plane also
soulreaper is offline Find More Posts by soulreaper
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:20 AM
Sometimes it work some don't
╔mirats arabes unis, Ras el Kha´mah, Ras Al-Khaimah
Joined Oct 2010
944 Posts
Yes would love to build it too!!
RCSquale is offline Find More Posts by RCSquale
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:09 AM
United States
Joined May 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreaper View Post
will you be making plans available or measurements so we can build your plane also
Soulreaper, so sorry that it has taken me so long to get back to you're question. My computer time has been taken up by other obligations. Now that I'm back I will be glad to post plans for this airplane. I'll need a couple of days to get the tiles converted to PDF and get them up here.

FF
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:12 AM
United States
Joined May 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSquale View Post
Yes would love to build it too!!
Ditto my previous reply. Plans coming soon.