HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by FeiJi, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:45 AM
Joined Aug 2011
182 Posts
Discussion
Carpet Bombing Wing

Using my wing to drop bombs. This might be a way to pay for my hobby, dropping advertisements downtown. Difficult to see bombs drop if not using full screen.
I'm not very good at bombing: power off, level flight, open bomb door, wait for the payload to drop, close bomb door, power on or land. I'm all over the place.

RC Flying Wing Bombing Runs (1 min 50 sec)
FeiJi is offline Find More Posts by FeiJi
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FeiJi; May 29, 2012 at 01:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2012, 02:20 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,176 Posts
Is dropping leaflets legal over there? (I'm assuming USA)
Big trouble if you did that here.
Whiskers is offline Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old May 29, 2012, 04:14 AM
Joined Aug 2011
182 Posts
Yeah - just joking. In fact I am in China and I was thinking of advertising my English movie night by dropping tickets on my kids when they are moving between classes (by the thousands).
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2012, 04:41 AM
Joined Aug 2011
182 Posts
Lest anyone think I am totally irresponsible - I usually fly at 4:00am in our soccer (football) field when absolutely no one is around or at least at a time when it is vacant. It is also sunrise at that time and a beautiful time to fly. I won't be buzzing anyone with my leaf bombs.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FeiJi; May 29, 2012 at 04:56 AM.
Old May 29, 2012, 05:14 AM
Joined Feb 2010
4,176 Posts
I too fly the Dawn Patrol
I love the calm air and how the planes look in the light from the low sun. It really shows the colors, which you don't get when the sun is higher in the sky.
Old May 29, 2012, 07:04 AM
Joined Aug 2011
182 Posts
I envy your wide open spaces. I fly trapped within highrise apartments and university campus buildings, punctuated with tree infested parks and basketball courts. The currents swirling around make for interesting flying - especially for someone with only 13 hours total time in the air. No broken windows yet.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2012, 08:01 AM
Joined Feb 2010
4,176 Posts
Turbulence caused by buildings and trees certainly does cause trouble.
Of course in the early morning calm there is no turbulence, and that is one of the main reasons it is so nice.
The field in your video looks quite good, from the little bit that can be seen.
Old May 30, 2012, 01:03 AM
Joined Aug 2011
182 Posts
Whiskers you have given my an idea, am going to post composite photo of my flying "arena" in a day or two.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2012, 01:33 AM
Joined Feb 2010
4,176 Posts
Good idea!
This is the egg-shaped field I mainly use now. It is about 170 M long and 136 M wide. The forest to the south extends 500 M.
When I am there usually my car is the only one in the car park, maybe a dog-walker may also be there.
Old May 30, 2012, 09:19 AM
Joined Aug 2011
182 Posts
Looks like a nice field.
Here is a stitched photo of my flying fields - fly either in the stadium to the left or the soccer field to the right. Both are challenging to keep from hitting the school buildings but fun too. Soccer sized basketball courts to right of soccer field.
Also in front of the central Main Building is a plaza we sometimes fly in but often there are students we have to look out for.
The only problem with the sports fields is that they are full of these little plastic pellets that stick to the tape on my wings and they get everywhere, even inside the motor but the alternative is the granite plaza which makes for hard landings sometimes.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FeiJi; May 31, 2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Update resolution of photo - testing
Old May 30, 2012, 04:53 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,176 Posts
Hey! That looks OK. You just need to learn to fly a tighter pattern.
A conventional aerobatic plane, rather than a Wing, may be better suited to those fields. (I'm biased )
That are these plastic pellets? They sound like they would be a menace. A plane with landing gear would help there too.
Old May 31, 2012, 04:17 PM
Joined Aug 2011
182 Posts
I have a Cessna taildragger that I haven't ever flown. I just got stuck on wings because I like how they look and fly and it was a challenge for me to build one and keep it in the air. I basically learned how to fly on these and now that I have discovered EPP I am bent on making more wings and deltas till I burn out I guess. Will get the Cessna prepped and try it out though. One of my student friends flies one he built from foam board and his skills are really good and keeps it in one end of the football field.
The pellets are supposed to keep the fake grass upright I heard, not sure but they are everywhere including my apartment now.
Went out this morning and love the sun glinting off the wing and it flying silhouette like.
Got 15 minutes on my 900mah battery and thats about all I can fly at one time without getting a crick in my neck. Actually mosquitos made me quit. Flew for about an hour. Landed in the grass and soaked the plane but its laminated so ok.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,176 Posts
Well it sounds like you are having fun, and that's what it is all about.