Karl Miller 6447 (Sat Only)
Ben Roberto is offline Find More Posts by Ben Roberto
Last edited by Ben Roberto; Jul 15, 2012 at 08:25 PM. Reason: tired
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:38 PM
United States, WI, Neenah
Joined Apr 2005
125 Posts
Congrats to Craig, Jeffrey, and Steve! Great flying guys!

Thanks to the SOAR crew for putting on another great contest.

Steve, I thought the pace was perfect.

Also, thanks to Scott, Ben, Mike, and Robin for helping me find my plane deep in the corn.

Ryan Thompson
rtbrowntrout is offline Find More Posts by rtbrowntrout
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:07 PM
Mark Gauding
USA, MO, Wentzville
Joined Apr 2002
64 Posts
I would like to say thank you to the SOAR crew for putting on a great contest! Pat Crosby was very generous with his time to come out and score for us along with cooking dinner on Sat. night!

I thought the pace that Steve set was perfect for us to get plenty of rounds in.

As Ben stated earlier, the air could be great and fickle at the same time. If you did not catch the ride which usually ended up behind the barn and far down wind, it was hard to come back and find another piece of lift due to being to low!

Their was just a bit of carnage but nothing that is not fixable. Ben and I mid-aired in the last round. We got hooked together and gently spun down to the ground with my throwing blade stuck in his leading edge. Unfortunately Ben came out on the worst end of the deal since my plane did not have any damage amazingly! Here are a couple of pics of it.

Mark Gauding
scootertrash340 is online now Find More Posts by scootertrash340
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:03 PM
Steve Meyer
Mt Pleasant, WI
Joined Jun 2005
1,178 Posts
Very interesting. Glad you took a snapshot and shared it.

Anyone else have some photos to share?
SOAR-Steve is offline Find More Posts by SOAR-Steve
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:22 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Jun 2006
588 Posts
A few shots from the weekend.

Thanks to SOAR for putting the event on. It was run very smoothly and paced ideally for the conditions. Great location too, I have not flown from a sod farm in several years. Nice footing and makes for some interesting reads, particularly upwind in this case.

Craig
Craig Greening is online now Find More Posts by Craig Greening
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:09 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Joined Jun 2006
588 Posts
A few more.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:18 PM
BenRoberto
Joined Aug 2004
222 Posts
I want to thank everyone for flying with the SOAR group this past weekend (even the weather I ordered special from Shelbyville showed up). I hope everyone had a good time.

And for those of you who couldn't make it, no sweat. Real life intrudes sometimes. As Cubs fans like to say, "Maybe next year."

I'm looking forward to flying with all of you at the Nats.

-- b

(P.S. And I'm still wondering what Craig "Big Dog" Greening uses as his wind direction flag....)
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:22 PM
BenRoberto
Joined Aug 2004
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash340 View Post
Their was just a bit of carnage but nothing that is not fixable. Ben and I mid-aired in the last round. We got hooked together and gently spun down to the ground with my throwing blade stuck in his leading edge. Unfortunately Ben came out on the worst end of the deal since my plane did not have any damage amazingly! Here are a couple of pics of it.

Mark Gauding
I'm more happy that your Stobel was un-damaged. That's my #3 airplane and it only received a flesh wound.

-- b
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:03 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Roberto View Post
(P.S. And I'm still wondering what Craig "Big Dog" Greening uses as his wind direction flag....)
I think I heard Craig's response to this with something to the affect "I'm thinking of getting one" or "I'll look into that".
szastoupil is offline Find More Posts by szastoupil
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:18 AM
Steve Meyer
Mt Pleasant, WI
Joined Jun 2005
1,178 Posts
Poker reflection

Round 5 Poker, Saturday late morning:
I was mulling over the idea of calling a 9:58. I have never done that but I have never flown Poker in these "smooth" conditions. Thermals were still developing but very little sink was present. I have witnessed many pilots make the call in worse conditions and get it.

At 30 seconds to start I see a small dust devil form near the parking lot. Somewhat rare in the midwest. That told me there was plenty of hot air in the area, so I decided to go for it. I called the 9:58 and launched right at the buzzer.

I peeled off down wind into the vicinity of where the dust devil kicked off. I was cautious as they can be quite violent so I was sure to keep the speed up as I cruised into the area. The plan was to pick up a "feeder" thermal into this dust devil that would be more downwind by now. When I arrived in the area it was buoyant but no real climb. I took a left turn to scout the vicinity closer to and over the barn.

I was getting worried that I may have missed the ride when suddenly my Steigesen was yanked straight up about 2 meters. It was as if a string was tied to the CG and it was pulled straight up by Aliens. Then one tip was slammed down and the Steig was balancing on one tip. I straightened it out and pushed forward to keep up the speed, something the Steig does well. I circled back with energy to experience a similar ride a bit smoother but still violent air. I was able to maintain control and I continued to get bounced around, climbing in 1 meter jumps as I hit the strong lift then tossed around as I entered the turbulent sections.

It was not a given yet I was losing about 50% the altitude gained by getting bounced around so much. It was a wild ride like taming a wild horse, as I continued to widen my circle looking for smoother air that had a good climb. I did not want this "mustang" thermal to get away.

It may have been less than a minute, but it seemed like 3 minutes, but the air smoothed out and the climb was great. Wow! Soon I was at "no stab" height and I able to relax. Now it felt like a boring TD flight. 8 minutes to go?! It was one of those flights where I had to find areas of the sky that were not going up as I was afraid of losing sight of it. I realized how I saved myself the aggravation and anxiety from figuring out what to call for a flight time. It made it an easy round. Easily said (thought) as I am cruising at 1000ft.

A 9:59 finish sealed a 9:58 call and now I have my first "all in" poker flight under my belt. Will it make the next one easier? Hope so.

Happy Thermals.
Steve
SOAR-Steve is offline Find More Posts by SOAR-Steve
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:39 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Joined Jun 2006
588 Posts
Nice job Steve. I have still yet to call all in like that in Poker, though have only flown the task a handful of times. Walking out for my Poker round on Saturday I felt confident that the air would support a full call but as the horn approached I did not have enough of a read on direction. I considered calling two fives but started with a 2:00 which was easily achieved and still close enough to go back to for a 7:50.
I almost made a big mistake in just catching after the first flight, calling the next time and throwing. Turns out I had a couple of seconds to spare but checking the window time with your caller is always a good idea when no VLC.

Craig
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:30 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,601 Posts
I think it's easier to call all in than make 5x2 anymore. Two of my last three contests I called big and made it. One I called 1:45 and launched and before I pushed over I was saying to my timer "we need to get this one over with so I can call the rest and climb out high" I called 8:05 and skied out only to have a pucker factor when my timer told me that I was "right on the window clock." With a quick turn I'm not sure how that happened other than I flew a second or two over on the first one and the window was running short.

It's a gamble but I'd rather drop a round trying to go big than drop a round by not making my last flight like I did in Round 1 Group A at the Bruce.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:43 AM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOAR-Steve View Post
I was able to maintain control and I continued to get bounced around,
I timed for Steve on this round. A few seconds before the buzzer Steve tells me 9:58 and had to ask him "WHAT?!!!!!" I definitely was not prepared for that one. The whole time I was sweating bullets wondering did I hit the watch on time. And listening to the round clock I thought there was a full second to be left on the clock after making his time, but I second guessed myself the whole time.

I beg to differ Steve had control for about 2-3 wraps. All I could do was be quiet because I knew he definitely saw something and I had no markers. He punched back not too awfully high over the barn which there is plenty of risk of rotors and then "BANG" that's where the mustang ride hit. After Steve was a few hundred of feet up I asked what the marker was when he mentioned the little whirl of dust on the other side of the barn/parking lot.

After Steve landed he tells me "I lost it for a while". Well....gee, glad I could help as a timer.
szastoupil is offline Find More Posts by szastoupil
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:52 AM
BenRoberto
Joined Aug 2004
222 Posts
I choose semi-conservative for that one: 1:30, 1:45, 5:45

For the 1:30 flight I felt the air was strong and getting stronger but wimped out on the second call.

-- b