HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2012, 08:48 PM
United States, NY, Hamburg
Joined Mar 2012
20 Posts
Discussion
How many flights would you normally(on average) have before you crash?

trevorcgross is offline Find More Posts by trevorcgross
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 10:01 PM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
963 Posts
Whats a crash???

I've had one bad landing (no damage) within the last 150 flights.

Pete
Efliernz is offline Find More Posts by Efliernz
Old May 29, 2012, 10:12 AM
Underwater Helicopter Badge
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Mar 2011
125 Posts
I agree, you shouldn't think like that. If you are going to put a valuable camera on a multicopter, make sure it has GPS with at least GPS Hold and RTL functionality and RTL failsafe. Then use good quality ESCs and motors, and test everything on the ground. Fly over bushes or thick grass and *never* near people when you are learning.

The only quad of mine that I've crashed heavily was a Gaui 330, and I was a beginner at the time. Its a good model to learn on, because it handles crashes very well. Work your way up from there.

Final advice: never panic. Panic leads to crashes, in every area of aviation.
John141 is offline Find More Posts by John141
Old May 29, 2012, 10:18 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorcgross View Post
It totally depends on the type of flying you are doing. I have been practicing very low level forest flying, the chances are a lot higher.
Low Level Aerial Reconnaissance. (7 min 28 sec)
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 29, 2012, 12:34 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,210 Posts
I haven't had any pilot-induced crashes for several years now. I learned the ropes of flying model helicopters with little indoor ones back in 2003 where I crashed quite often

I wouldn't go as far as John in saying if you're going to put a valuable camera up in the air you need a highly automated system - my tricopter is flown under pure manual control (aside from rate-feedback stabilisation which is mandatory on a multi-rotor platform!), and it carries a 300 camera. My hexacopter will be the same and it will carry a 550 camera. Confidence and experience is worth more than clever electronics – I wouldn't advise flying something with a high degree of autonomy unless you are a competent manual pilot to start with, otherwise if you suddenly need to take manual control you won't stand a chance ...

On a different note, I've had three crashes in the last 18 months which were caused by equipment malfunction – one potential case of severe interference (old 35MHz system, still not entirely sure if interference was the cause), one motor failure (no strain relief on motor wires by default, and a wire broke off inside the motor), and one structural failure due to poor design (on my part!).

So I would say practice is the key if you're worried about crashing .... don't run before you can walk. Don't fly too far from you until you've gained sufficient confidence, and always give gentle control inputs if you suddenly lose orientation – as John mentioned, don't panic! Also pay close attention to the quality of the components you use in your models – buying the cheapest equipment might save you money in the short term, but if it fails it will cost you vastly more in the long run!

My 2p!

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Last edited by Hogster; May 29, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:41 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorcgross View Post
We try not to crash

But my last aerial video related crashes were equipment failure.

One was the lock screws loosening off my motor despite thread lock resulting in my motor falling off and tricopter falling 20ft.

The other two were 72mhz glitches that caused me to loose control of the tricopter.

Both issues have been fixed, and hopefully they wont happen again.

I can honestly say, in my 5 years of flying parkflyers (planes), I've had only one crash. Flying my supercub when it was snowing, and I had a bit of a depth perception issue when landing, resulting in me crashing into a poll

Other than that, I do push my aircraft every now and then, but I make sure there is a way out.

Keep your flight at it's simplest. Dont go pushing yourself to do different crazy things. It will eventually happen on it's own, either intentional or accidental, and you will slowly pick up on it. And as stated, dont panic if you start to loose it. Just focus on orientation, and flight. The only thing you have to loose is flying time and some money.
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif
Old May 30, 2012, 07:31 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,195 Posts
If one form of "panic" is to not be able to think straight when I get the model topsy turvey then I do "panic"
I have had many crashes, but on the last one I noticed I started to think out loud saying "left, left" when I needed the plane to go left. I found it helped to lessen the panic.

Next time (and there will be) I'll make it more forceful, "nose up, nose up, more power, go right, go right". I think this will help get rid of the attitude of "she's a goner, I can't do anything about it"
Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie