HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 28, 2012, 05:45 PM
Registered User
United States, AZ, Seligman
Joined Nov 2011
413 Posts
Question
Mems gyros vs. Piezo gyros?

How much better is a KK board with mems gyros compared to a KK board with piezo gyros if you are just sport flying around the yard and have no plans for FPV or anything like that?
Dave8888 is offline Find More Posts by Dave8888
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 05:56 PM
Registered User
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave8888 View Post
How much better is a KK board with mems gyros compared to a KK board with piezo gyros if you are just sport flying around the yard and have no plans for FPV or anything like that?
I don' see a lot of difference in flight performance. The only difference will be temperature drift. If you go from a cool environment in the house to a hot environment outdoor you will find that the multi rotor will drift off center during a flight. If you let the multi rotor sit outdoor for 5 to 10 minutes before powering up you will alleviate the problem.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 06:25 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2012
56 Posts
The new board is sold out already
AdaptedEye is offline Find More Posts by AdaptedEye
Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 06:42 PM
kad
Quad Crasher
kad's Avatar
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined May 2012
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaptedEye View Post
The new board is sold out already
Which new board is this?

-K
kad is offline Find More Posts by kad
Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 07:00 PM
Registered User
ddoltar's Avatar
United States, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Feb 2012
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
I don' see a lot of difference in flight performance. The only difference will be temperature drift. If you go from a cool environment in the house to a hot environment outdoor you will find that the multi rotor will drift off center during a flight. If you let the multi rotor sit outdoor for 5 to 10 minutes before powering up you will alleviate the problem.
which has the temperature drift issues?
ddoltar is offline Find More Posts by ddoltar
Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 08:18 PM
kad
Quad Crasher
kad's Avatar
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined May 2012
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaptedEye View Post
Wow, spend a day enjoying a holiday with the family instead of lurking on the web and see what I miss. Thanks Eye!


-K
kad is offline Find More Posts by kad
Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 11:36 PM
Registered User
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoltar View Post
which has the temperature drift issues?
The old Murata piezo gyros on the KK board.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 12:02 AM
Emress
sirbow2's Avatar
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,936 Posts
only thing ive seen so far is that piezo are less susceptible to vibrations.
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 02:42 AM
Registered User
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbow2 View Post
only thing ive seen so far is that piezo are less susceptible to vibrations.
It's not that piezos are less susceptible, it's just they can't respond to fast signals like vibrations. eg. a ENC-03R max sample rate is like 50Hz, and a 300deg/sec angular velocity, where a MEMS like an ITG-3205 will do 2,000deg/sec, and they can sample at over 1kHz.

Piezos can break easily in crashes, whereas a MEMS can take a 10,000g shock.
Erknie is offline Find More Posts by Erknie
Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 07:59 AM
Registered User
midelic's Avatar
Joined Apr 2012
3,873 Posts
The specs for mems gyro look good on paper,but really is there tangible difference in flight?The people who really fly with both gyros can really say if there is a tangible difference.
300 versus 2000 deg/sec look good on paper,but in flight if the human eye cannot see the difference,what's the point on changing gyros.If only the temperature is the problem that can easily be resolved.I suspect there are a lot of myths regarding piezo gyro.
midelic is online now Find More Posts by midelic
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DIY Multiprotocol TX Module
Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 08:04 AM
Registered User
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midelic View Post
The specs for mems gyro look good on paper,but really is there tangible difference in flight?The people who really fly with both gyros can really say if there is a tangible difference.
300 versus 2000 deg/sec look good on paper,but in flight if the human eye cannot see the difference,what's the point on changing gyros.If only the temperature is the problem that can easily be resolved.I suspect there are a lot of myths regarding piezo gyro.
You obviously don't do aerobatics. Flips and rolls can be faster then 300 degrees/sec.
Erknie is offline Find More Posts by Erknie
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold GWS PG-03 Piezo Gyro ihor14448 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 May 02, 2012 10:38 PM
Sold GWS Pg-03 Piezo Gyro JR/Futaba (N.I.P.) $22 for one or $40 for both nautique Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 2 Apr 28, 2012 02:11 AM
Sold GWS Pg-03 Piezo Gyro JR/Futaba (N.I.P.) $22 for one or $40 for both nautique Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Mar 30, 2012 05:58 PM
Sold New/never used Revolution PZ-200 sport piezo gyro- $20.00 shipped. 540RCflyer Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 2 Feb 24, 2012 12:37 PM
For Sale MS-024 6g piezo rate gyro stevebarrow Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Oct 28, 2011 05:24 AM