Parkzone Warbirds 58 47.54%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 28, 2012, 01:44 PM
Olathe, KS
Joined Aug 2007
342 Posts
Poll
FMS vs. Parkzone

Kind of from another thread. I had kind of bashed FMS planes, and stood up for Parkzone quality. I will admit, I talked down on FMS via other reviews and opinions I have seen in the past, I personally have not bought any FMS products. Hopefully if you vote, you will list some pro's and con's or experiences you have had with either, good or bad. I will be getting another warbird soon, I like the looks of the FMS Corsair (has a scheme that says Olathe,which is where Im from), but I like the BNF, and the availibility of parts from Parkzone. Lets keep it civil guys, annnnnnnnnnddd go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit- This thread is not to bash either company, just get peoples opinions and experiences with the companies.
Mattkc is offline Find More Posts by Mattkc
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 02:43 PM
fvi
Canada, ON
Joined Jul 2011
564 Posts
Hum...this is a tough one. Both have strengths and weaknesses. I like the reliability and easy access to parts that Parkzone has. At the same time I couldn't care less about their warbird lineup, I feel they need a refresh. Also they're quite a bit more expensive and don't come with retracts but quality is usually excellent as is customer service.

FMS has pretty doubtful electronics but they have been getting better. Retracts are a bit on the weak side too but come with every plane so that's a bonus. I love the variety of sizes and color schemes they offer on their warbirds. Quality overall seems to be increasing with each new release.

I have planes from both brands and I like them both in their own way.

That's my 2 cents

Cheers
fvi is offline Find More Posts by fvi
Old May 28, 2012, 02:50 PM
Evansville Dress Reg., Indiana, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,008 Posts
Parkzone for my money .
Parkzone is available at every hobby shop for many miles around here , in the adjoining 3 states , which improves my chances of getting a replacement part if need be .
From the first PKZ piper cub , up too my PKZ SE5a , every plane has flown and worked right out of the box .
Is there cheaper planes available , of course , and they really are ...........cheaper planes and products , and poor support also .

At 68 , I have had a couple of hobby interest , , so it is experience , that also makes me a Parkzone products owner , and a happy flyer
But I only have 20 planes here ,and no they are not all PKZ , with a PKZ Albatros DVa , soon to be added .
wattman is online now Find More Posts by wattman
Last edited by wattman; May 28, 2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old May 28, 2012, 02:51 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
I like the 1400mm size.
You get more for your money with FMS if you don't mind tweaking a few things.
The only servo problem I've had with FMS, was with the tailwheel on the Corsair. It's not a metal gear. Also look into the battery hatch mod on the Corsair too! It's well worth it.
Good Luck
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old May 28, 2012, 03:13 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvi View Post
Hum...this is a tough one. Both have strengths and weaknesses. I like the reliability and easy access to parts that Parkzone has. At the same time I couldn't care less about their warbird lineup, I feel they need a refresh. Also they're quite a bit more expensive and don't come with retracts but quality is usually excellent as is customer service.

I have planes from both brands and I like them both in their own way.

That's my 2 cents

Cheers
+1 ....I agree.

First and foremost I like the Customer Service of Horizon Hobby (Parkzone) as there second to none here in the US or probably anywhere else for that matter, but there foamie offerings have been dated......They are improving with there P-47, new Spitfire, Bf 109 and soon to be re-released Corsair....all nice warbirds with (optional) retracts and flaps....as I am no longer interested in bellylanders.

FMS has given a shot of new life into the foamie market with the addition of 1400mm wingspan warbirds...including the P-51, P-47, Spitfite, B-25, Zero, Bf 109, FW190, Stuka, Corsair, Zero, New P-38 and T-28......not to mention there 800mm sized mini warbirds and there new 1700mm giant size warbirds.

I never thought I would say this but I have purchased a Parkzone sized Durafly T-28 (for buddy boxing purposes) with flaps and retracts....made by FMS...it flies nice, looks nice and has the options I want for less then $180 shipped....it's just to bad it's sold by a distributor that has a less then stellar customer service and a lack of spare parts on hand..but there getting better.

So after this long winded rant I would say FMS has an advantage due to there many offerings...compared to Parkzones limited warbird offerings and great customer service...I mean really...if your not going to buy a Parkzone warbirds...then what good is there customer service....
LICobra is online now Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old May 28, 2012, 03:39 PM
Olathe, KS
Joined Aug 2007
342 Posts
hmmm, re-releasing the corsair huh? Any ideas on what they are going to change?
Mattkc is offline Find More Posts by Mattkc
Old May 28, 2012, 05:20 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattkc View Post
hmmm, re-releasing the corsair huh? Any ideas on what they are going to change?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rce=google_ext
LICobra is online now Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old May 28, 2012, 06:34 PM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,445 Posts
Sorry, but isn't this a rather pointless thread? It strikes me that all the strengths and weaknesses of PZ and FMS products have been discussed to death in this forum many times, and are now well known.

Let's just get on and enjoy them - they all have pretty extraordinary levels of performance and prefabrication for the money compared to what was available only a few short years ago.
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; May 28, 2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old May 28, 2012, 06:50 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,580 Posts
Perhaps the objective of this Poll Thread might not be clear from OP, however, I own and fly lots of RC Foam Models both from FMS (Airfield) and Park Zone and E-Flite.

Yes, E-Flite has the foam Hawker Hurricane 25e and originally got it used at a good deal and burned up some Gasoline to pick it up as it was a Local Pickup Sale and was considering to re-sell it and since it has NOT sold, I decided to go fly it and produce a Demo Video to help the sale. Well, that did not help but, I can tell you that I may NOT sell it after all as the E-Flite (Horizon Hobby) product has advanced design and flying abilities and most importantly without the worry of cheap electronics or paint job quality issues. This past Saturday, I had to "Bind" the provided AR600 with my Spektrum DX7 and it was super easy and everything fell in place as all I did was perform a Copy Function on my DX7 from my ParkZone Spitfire Mk IX as it also has retracts and it was like super fast. The only thing I had to do was to reverse the Rudder and that is it. No further Adjustments to the flaps nor main retract gear!!!

You can see the Video here yourselves and sorry about the Static Video as I got to the flying site too late and no one else was there!
E-Flite Hawker Hurricane 25e RC Airplane Bind N Fly with E-Flite Retracts 05-26-2012 (4 min 16 sec)

Yesterday, I sold a new, never flown FMS / Airfield F4U Corsair (All NAVY BLUE) with 90-Degree Rotational Retracts to a gentleman that had to have it locally for a cool $175 Cash! Why did I sell it? Because I just did not feel those retracts were going to hold up and the Paint was coming off after just a few handling of the model around the house. Yes, I do have Central Air!

Therefore, it is my belief that if you want to go as cheapest possible to get a specific model then, go right ahead but, do not come back and complain that the ESC or STOCK BEC failed on your model in mid-flight or that the model is pretty difficult in transport etc...etc.......etc.....
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
Old May 28, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Dec 2010
190 Posts
It's not either or. I am both and I am happy with both!
FoamieFlier is offline Find More Posts by FoamieFlier
Old May 28, 2012, 07:18 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamieFlier View Post
It's not either or. I am both and I am happy with both!
It is not about Happiness or complaints as the OP is welcoming comments from everyone.

Glad you are "Happy" however!!
Old May 28, 2012, 07:23 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,060 Posts
Parkzone, ive gotten rid of a lot of other planes i had and replaced them with pz or eflite products. 8 out of 10 planes on my tx are horizon hobby products. I feel like it's money well spent. Yeah, ouch with the sticker shock sometimes, but by the time you modify somethig else to your liking you might as well have just paid extra for a solid out of the box experience. I like the durability of the Horizon products, they are designed to be flown. I have 98 batteries through my pz p-47, probably near 300 landings and I have never had to fiddle with my retracts or any servos. sure everynow and then I need to tighten up the grub screws on the struts, but i fly off grass and practice take offs and landings alot. I have had other birds not make it past 4 or 5 flights before your fixing it for no good reason. everytime I step out of my comfort zone and try something else i have been dissapointed. with pz i know what to expect. Quality. If somethings not right they'll fix it.

The other day I got an ARTTECH AT-6, only because PZ doesn't have one. If it's achoice between any two companies PZ wins hands down. If what you want isn't carried by PZ then having it can be worth the risk.I expected to fiddle fix and modify the T-6. So I wasn't surprised. Thing is a lot of us have done enough of this we can take subpar and make it airworthy. If I were a noob the arttech would have put a bad taste in my mouth for the hobby right away.

Long story short, I enjoy the reliability and knowing they didn't rush to bring a product to market. PZ
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2012, 07:26 PM
United States, OH, Rosemount
Joined Jul 2011
843 Posts
Wow I find it very hard to place a vote in this thread and probably won't. However I like both brands somewhat equally.
My 1st warbird was a Pz p51 gunfighter because of being available in local hobby shops as well as parts are well stocked and available.
So upon that said I have now advanced alot more into the hobby and have moved up into the 1400 fms warbirds in which take a little more tinkering to get them to my liking and plus I fly on a grass runway and the fms planes do alot better on grass because of size and weight!
I also enjoy performing small mods to advance my modeling skills on fms planes and some slight mods are needed every now and them to the pz airplanes.... So again its a half ah dozen on one brand or a dozen and a half on the other!

In closing I have 12 warbirds in the hangar and still counting so I enjoy them all fms,eflite and pz ..... I like where the foam warbird market is heading!
JM66 is online now Find More Posts by JM66
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2012, 07:27 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,580 Posts
ryramZ

Very well expressed and if you look at all my For Sale Ads, I am selling all of my FMS Large Foam models because after so many years and promises, they just do not transport easily and other issues with Electronics, Retracts and perhaps issues of watching the wings wave at you should you go a little too fast etc...etc..

I would keep my old and in super shape GWS models before I keep any FMS / AIRFIELD / BLITZRC models!!!
Old May 28, 2012, 08:17 PM
United States, MO, Kingsville
Joined Nov 2001
1,583 Posts
6 to one half dozen to the other, I have 3 fms planes one 800mm sky raider, (i think) 1100 mm He 123 and the 1400 stuka. On the parkzone side I have the corsiar, me109 and the f4f. the me and corsair I have had as of the day they hit the hobby shop and both are still flying.

Personally I think that the detail even in the little 800 plane blows PZ out of the water, they all fly very nice, but I think that the PZ planes are a little more toss and go.

Both are good flying planes, and I am waiting for the new alb. DV from pz to come out....but I do think you get more for your money with FMS...and parts are not that big of a deal, less then a 2 weeks to my door.

I also think you left out another maker.....Durafly...I do not have one but many people speak highly of them....I think I will have to give one of their planes a try next...their sky raider looks very nice.
cherokee is offline Find More Posts by cherokee