Old May 28, 2012, 11:53 AM
home of the best antennas
United States, FL, Boca Raton
Joined Nov 2011
851 Posts
Discussion
New FPV antenna Manufacturer www.fpvlr.com

New FPV Antenna Manufacturer WWW.FPVLR.COM

Hello guys, overwhelmed by antenna requests I have put together a website with a LIVE shopping cart where you can add your antennas to the cart, choose frequency, chose connector (all interactively) and of course pay though paypal.

The direct url to the store are is this http://www.fpvlr.com/store as we are implementing other areas like video guides and more.

As I am adding different antennas still, I want to add a few details.

Now let me answer a couple questions that often come up:

People are asking why I chose to use two pinwheels (modified spw) both on tx and rx, and the answer is simple: Because they work a bit better than CL+SPW.

This guy with a quad had purchased a 5.8ghz HK system and he was getting 500m range with terrible quality video. Of course everything is packed together on a quad and multipath is a REAL problem and we know 5.8 200mw HK system is no powerhouse. I made him two of my pinwheels and yesterday he thanked me telling me I saved him the hassle of going with a restricted frequency. Mind you he's just using two omni pinwheels by fpvlr.com.

Quadcopter Long Range FPV.avi (2 min 57 sec)

To Euro Customers: We have two "mini warehouses" (call them basements ) one is based in Virginia , US, the other based in Italy, so shipping to both places is fast, and no import duties for Euro customers.
KondorFPV is offline Find More Posts by KondorFPV
Last edited by KondorFPV; May 28, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 01:18 PM
Joined Nov 2011
851 Posts
These are the kinds of antennas that I build to order:
Last edited by KondorFPV; Jan 09, 2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old May 28, 2012, 03:47 PM
Joined Nov 2011
851 Posts
And more for different frequencies.
Last edited by KondorFPV; Jan 09, 2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old May 28, 2012, 04:19 PM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,070 Posts
I live close to you! We should fly sometime. Nice antennas btw.
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old May 28, 2012, 04:59 PM
Joined May 2012
69 Posts
Hi KondorFPV

Great – always space for another antenna offering. Your axial mode helicals look great.

Could you share some antenna characteristics e.g.

- 3dB Bandwidths
- VSWR (with/without preamp)
- Gains
- Radiation patterns (azimuth circularity and elevation +/-3dB beam-widths)
- Polarization/s (left and/or right?)
- Physical sizes & weights
- Antenna factor in receive role would also be interesting (interests me – although perhaps not many other folk)

Antennas are the one component in this hobby that remain free from restriction and regulation (other than of course in terms of size/weight - when placed on a flying model), but how well they perform is very much down to the skill of the designer & builder on one hand, and on the other, correct installation by the end-user.

The transmit power restrictions placed on FPV flyers mean the slightest error in design/construction (or installation – of course that’s beyond the manufacturer) can have significant impact on potential performance – especially when it comes to microwave element angles, spacings and dimensions for 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz products. It’s almost impossible to maximize performance and ensure consistency using hand production techniques without instruments like spectrum or vector analyzers – and keeping these tools correctly calibrated.

Would be grateful if you could post up to the forum, or pm me, some antenna characteristics.

I wish your business all the best.
CryptoHawk is offline Find More Posts by CryptoHawk
Old May 29, 2012, 12:15 AM
Joined Nov 2011
851 Posts
Hello Crypto...

Most of the info you ask will be posted on the website in an appropriate section.
It is very hard for me to give details on each antenna as they are very much custom jobs, I have made Helicals starting from 3 turns all the way up to 16 turns for 2.4 and between 6 and 18 turns for 5.8.

Of course the data you ask will vary for each one of them.

As far as the vswr, I do tune the Helicals for lowest possible vswr on a specific frequency that the customer asks, and that's as low as 1.1:1 for Helicals.

Pinwheels (spw) have come in between 1.15:1-1.25:1 on the specified channel/frequency.

I am experimenting with different geometry helicals, mostly conical shaped Helicals, parasitic elements and variable pitch helicals.

I don't want to anticipate any of that.

Data will be put online in due time.
Old May 29, 2012, 02:45 AM
Joined May 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KondorFPV View Post
Hello Crypto...

Most of the info you ask will be posted on the website in an appropriate section.
It is very hard for me to give details on each antenna as they are very much custom jobs, I have made Helicals starting from 3 turns all the way up to 16 turns for 2.4 and between 6 and 18 turns for 5.8.

Of course the data you ask will vary for each one of them.

As far as the vswr, I do tune the Helicals for lowest possible vswr on a specific frequency that the customer asks, and that's as low as 1.1:1 for Helicals.

Pinwheels (spw) have come in between 1.15:1-1.25:1 on the specified channel/frequency.

I am experimenting with different geometry helicals, mostly conical shaped Helicals, parasitic elements and variable pitch helicals.

I don't want to anticipate any of that.

Data will be put online in due time.
Those figures are nice efficient figures for VSWR.

Great, I'll keep a regular watch on your website.

One antenna type no-one seems to have offered to the FPV community are sinuous type antennas -in particular dual polar sinuous types. They are not easy to manufacture and will also cost more no doubt, but can offer performance characteristics not otherwise easily obtained with a single antenna e.g. bandwidth to cover the entire range of freqs used in RC flying - right thru from below 0.9Ghz to over 6Ghz, corrospondingly low VSWR etc etc ..... any chance of been able to offer something along these lines in the future?

CryptoHawk
CryptoHawk is offline Find More Posts by CryptoHawk
Old May 29, 2012, 12:40 PM
Joined Nov 2011
851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptoHawk View Post
Those figures are nice efficient figures for VSWR.

Great, I'll keep a regular watch on your website.

One antenna type no-one seems to have offered to the FPV community are sinuous type antennas -in particular dual polar sinuous types. They are not easy to manufacture and will also cost more no doubt, but can offer performance characteristics not otherwise easily obtained with a single antenna e.g. bandwidth to cover the entire range of freqs used in RC flying - right thru from below 0.9Ghz to over 6Ghz, corrospondingly low VSWR etc etc ..... any chance of been able to offer something along these lines in the future?

CryptoHawk

I think there is a real possibility of something like that.
I am experimenting with tapered conical helix , they are really wideband, covering 980-2500 is no problem, but definitely not 5-6ghz...
Old May 29, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Nov 2011
851 Posts
This is my flight with two pinwheels on a 500mw lamate 2.4 setup.

Just for comparison the video with the two stock antennas gets disturbed at 1.5km and at 2km you have to come back .

The tests have been made back to back.

Improvement is really noticeable

Mind you I am using a cheap HK 420tvl camera with terrible colors and a cheap dvr that adds interesting artifacts to the video picture.
So please watch at 480p rather than 240 window.

testing two SPW by www.fpvlr.com (13 min 48 sec)
Last edited by KondorFPV; May 29, 2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old May 30, 2012, 03:00 AM
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
772 Posts
Very good improvement over stock linear antennas as expected!

Hope the best for FPVLR store!
HF_ATL is offline Find More Posts by HF_ATL
Old Jun 01, 2012, 02:04 PM
Joined Nov 2011
851 Posts
Here is a video of a customer testing a 12 turn 2.4 helical.

7.5km with great video a low height, with trees in between, so he's flying below LOS most of the flight.

Password is : Helical

http://vimeo.com/42220888
Old Jun 01, 2012, 04:06 PM
CEL abuser
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Dec 2010
392 Posts
I've got a set of these antennas and they are AWESOME. I've used other vendors antennas as well and know the build and quality available.

Do not hesitate to pick up a set of these, they are beautifully and solidly built, well tuned and made to order for a good market price.
pr0ject42 is offline Find More Posts by pr0ject42
Old Jun 01, 2012, 04:51 PM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,070 Posts
No 1.2 helical?
Old Jun 03, 2012, 06:36 AM
Joined Nov 2011
851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0ject42 View Post
I've got a set of these antennas and they are AWESOME. I've used other vendors antennas as well and know the build and quality available.

Do not hesitate to pick up a set of these, they are beautifully and solidly built, well tuned and made to order for a good market price.

Glad you like your set!

The 1.2 helical is almost ready for production...
Old Jun 03, 2012, 08:51 AM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,070 Posts
I'll be trying some soon. Maybe I can fly across the mountain to you. : D