SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 04, 2003, 04:54 PM
usa
Joined Mar 2003
1,018 Posts
Flying in your living room with Micro Helis is not a good idea...

Ive seen the ads, and some people do it but I think more thought has to be put into doing that sort of stuff.

Consider the velocity of the shattered carbon fiber blades parts after hitting the coffee table leg. Not to mention gears and batteries.

This is just a cautionary note.

JT
BING! is offline Find More Posts by BING!
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2003, 07:37 PM
Provo, Utah, United States
Joined May 2002
750 Posts
I've been struck by the blades on a piccolo before. It wasn't pleasant, but I didn't need stitches or anything. As with anything else that spins, use caution.
utahrc is offline Find More Posts by utahrc
Old Nov 04, 2003, 08:37 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2002
1,183 Posts
I think most people fly the cheap plastic blade FP mini helis, not a full up CP/3D capable mini heli with CF blades in their living room.. With the FP mini helis, the blade isn't spinning very fast, so anything it hits should suffer only minimal damage.

I would hesitate flying a CP mini heli indoors for the simple reason that you're head speed is probably in the region of 2000rpm and that will cause serious damage should it hit anything..
gregw is offline Find More Posts by gregw
Old Nov 04, 2003, 09:19 PM
-Flight enthusiast_
Lake Louise, AB, Canada
Joined Feb 2000
3,567 Posts
Huh?

http://www.logoheli.com/Media/Hpntg.JPG

That's the FP Hornet. I've flown endless flights in the bedroom, plus I did about 75 fights in my livingroom. Those were a little more challenging because there's only a 4 x 6 foot section of clear space on the floor. The heli must climb straight up and clear a couch, desk and table before it can "stretch its legs". I took some 15-30 second videos on my "still" digital camera. One time I placed it on my wife's computer monitor, rose up on take off and flew it over to look at the camera. When my wife came home I showed her the video and she said, "HEYYYYYYYY!" Oh, 'Ive only wiped out the Hornet once indoors - all the bloodshed is outdoors Now the FP Piccolo was another story - harder to control, but crashes are a laugher anyway. Too much fun.

Cheers!

Glen
gpeden is offline Find More Posts by gpeden
Old Nov 04, 2003, 09:33 PM
Nimble with Gimbals
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2003
2,368 Posts
In light of the tragic loss of a fellow flyer recently I would think anyone attempting this is just asking for trouble. It's a terribly irresponsible and unsafe thing to do.
Awakened is offline Find More Posts by Awakened
Old Nov 04, 2003, 09:45 PM
Dax
There is no spoon
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
1,016 Posts
BS man I just finished flying my GWS dragonfly indoors (basement) I hit the couch, chair, door, my shins, etc. And there was no tragic loss of life. Comparing a 40 sized nitro heli with a sp300 can motor powered 'toy' is like comparing apples and tuna fish. I have hit my fingers in the blades, yes there was minor bleeding, but I didn't even need a bandaid.

I call troll
Dax is offline Find More Posts by Dax
Old Nov 04, 2003, 09:56 PM
Oviedo,FL
Joined Dec 2000
1,164 Posts
I fly my Piccolo in my living room all the time. Crashed it a few times, and got myself with the rotors a couple of times, too. The only damage done was a broken vertical blind, but I needed to replace those anyway as they were getting yellow and brittle.

Getting hit with the rotor of my Piccolo rates about a 5 on the old pain-ometer...compared to getting hit by say, a paintball, which I would rate as a 7

Comparing a micro-heli to it's IC powered big brothers is like comparing a Pico-Stick to a 1/4 scale warbird or something.

C'mon guys, seriously....can you say "knee-jerk reaction"?
R. Carver is offline Find More Posts by R. Carver
Old Nov 04, 2003, 11:16 PM
-Flight enthusiast_
Lake Louise, AB, Canada
Joined Feb 2000
3,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Awakened
In light of the tragic loss of a fellow flyer recently I would think anyone attempting this is just asking for trouble. It's a terribly irresponsible and unsafe thing to do.
Give me a break! "In light of"..... Do you think that all of us who flew heli's before the weekend were naively engaging in that activity without knowing what would result if the unthinkable happened? The risk of this terrible event on the weekend has always been there and it's a risk that we knowingly take and if I may say, is a lot less than other activities I've willingly engaged in like skydiving or driving on the highway. I'm pretty sure there's at least one person who would agree with me, but he's not here anymore.......

regards,

Glen
Old Nov 04, 2003, 11:28 PM
usa
Joined Mar 2003
1,018 Posts
Im glad I started this subject as it promotes discussion.

I am aware that the FP type Helis are probably safer due to the plastic blades BUT.

Getting hit by the blades is not the only danger. The biggest danger is from "EJECTED" parts.

I have seen people hit by nitro helis and survived with marginal damage (bruises, no stitches, hit in the arms). The person who recently passed away was subject to a freak accident having been hit squarely on the throat. It is these freak accidents that do the most damage.

JT
BING! is offline Find More Posts by BING!
Last edited by BING!; Nov 04, 2003 at 11:54 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2003, 11:42 PM
Nimble with Gimbals
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2003
2,368 Posts
Perhaps "in light of" was not the correct way to put it. I was hoping that tragic event would remind everyone that these machines can be lethal, and doing something like flying them in your living room isn't the brightest idea. I certainly wasn't directing my post to anyone in particular, just voicing what I feel is a valid opinion.

I understand micro helis pose less risk of injury, but they certainly do pose a risk. Increasing that risk doesn't seem like the best idea. Again, only my opinion.

I'm not one to "troll" and I take great offense to that insinuation. Please take the time to think out your responses before angrily posting ridiculous accusations. I honestly hope everyone's indoor flying days are injury-free, but I can't possibly agree that flying anything in a confined space filled with obstacles is a safe thing to do.
Old Nov 04, 2003, 11:51 PM
-Flight enthusiast_
Lake Louise, AB, Canada
Joined Feb 2000
3,567 Posts
"posting ridiculous accusations."

" It's a terribly irresponsible and unsafe thing to do"

LOL

"Please take the time to think out your responses"

Go think yourself

Cheers!~

Glen
Old Nov 05, 2003, 12:00 AM
Joined May 2002
750 Posts
Quote:
I understand micro helis pose less risk of injury, but they certainly do pose a risk.
Sure, they do pose a risk. So does deep frying, but I still do that pretty close to myself. If the message here is "use common sense" then common sense would dictate that those who have it already will.
Old Nov 05, 2003, 12:14 AM
Nimble with Gimbals
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2003
2,368 Posts
I don't see all that much thinking in your responses, gpeden. Would you mind actually debating my point instead of repeating what I said?

It's all about risk mitigation. Why increase risk for no apparent reason? Utah makes an excellent point.
Last edited by Awakened; Nov 05, 2003 at 12:17 AM.
Old Nov 05, 2003, 01:49 AM
-Flight enthusiast_
Lake Louise, AB, Canada
Joined Feb 2000
3,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Awakened
I don't see all that much thinking in your responses, gpeden.
OK, here's what I was thinking:

You accused me of "posting ridiculous accusations" (I'm not angry either) after YOU wrote, "It's a terribly irresponsible and unsafe thing to do", which in itself is a rediculous accusation, particularly the "terribly irresponsible" part.

And I wrote, "LOL" because I thought this was terribly funny.

And to your sentiment, "Please take the time to think out your responses", well,,,,, I thought that maybe you should do the same

I didn't think this would require explanation., but that was what I was thinking. My motivation was to voice my opinion about what I think is a silly notion about what I enjoy doing in the privacy of my home. "terribly irresponsible"???

Quote:
It's all about risk mitigation. Why increase risk for no apparent reason? Utah makes an excellent point.
Well, the reason is to enjoy an exciting and fun AND harmless (compared to larger helis) way to enjoy my hobby. I thought that I might be hearing backlashes similar to this from outside the hobby. BTW, do you fly heli's?

No apparent reason? After work in the winter when it's dark and cold?

You want to chase after some "terribly irresponsible" behaviour? Go after those who time and time again fly over the pits or over other people or fly their large electric helis in their garage or their park fliers over their neighbor's property. All that's worse, but I don't know if I would go so far as to accuse those people of indulging in "terribly irresponsible" behaviour, except for flying over the pitts/people. What I am THINKING is that someone is making an uninformed JUDGEMENT about the risks involved if they are calling indoor heli fliers "terribly irresponsible".

You know, I've flown lots of R/C aircraft, and nothing I ever saw or did came close to being as scary as the first time I stepped up to the flight line at a heli fun fly! 3 or 4 big noisy heli's flying in front of the other pilots on an R/C runway. Those "lawnmowers" flipping around close to me were either going to be a total distraction while I tried to fly my own machine, or I was going to totally ignore my urge to flee so that I could concentrate on flying safely myself. I pulled off the latter, but wow, and now I'm used to it somewhat..... You see, I normally fly by myself or 1 or 2 others (usually one in the air though). Please let me assure you, just in case you have no heli experience, that what I do in the privacy of my home is a WAY less risky than that! The furniture, doesn't get to object, but I'm so scared of wrecking the little micro and having to set it up all over again, that I don't let it happen. If there was a mechanical failure and the heli ran amuck, well, again, I wish to assure you that the risk to myself is very much less than normal activity at some of my flying spots, heli and plank.

Oh yeah, I have plucked my FP Piccolo out of the air when it ran amuck or I was losing it (harder to control than the Hornet) on several ocassions and I remember it stinging once when the blade hit my finger square on

Cheers!

Glen
Last edited by gpeden; Nov 05, 2003 at 02:10 AM.
Old Nov 05, 2003, 01:57 AM
Joined May 2002
750 Posts
Good post Glen. The point I was trying to make in my post about common sense was that there are "dangers" all around us. Micros are not necessarily any more dangerous than any number of other activities that we engage in every day. There's no point in starting a thread and posting comments about how dangerous they are.