HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2012, 11:02 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,122 Posts
I think with your arm, it depends on the injury. Right now, my shoulder is messed up. If I do even one overhand throw (as in, say, a winch launch) it hurts. But I can do a dozen or two discus launches without anywhere near that much pain.

However, they can be thrown overhand if you want to. But if you're going to be throwing overhand, there are a lot of javelin launch gliders hiding in basements, that are perceived as obsolete, and you might try one of those. Overhand throw, is, of course, much lower. I think maybe a factor of 3, for me, when I'm in practice.

You could probably figure out whether you can handle a discus launch pretty easily. I haven't done this, but suggest you could get a thin board or stick, 5 feet long, that weighed about 10 oz, with a peg at one end, and try throwing that. A 3/4 inch square stick out of pine or something would probably be close.

I'm sure a bungee launch would be fine.

If you aren't going to be going to contests (which are very fun), then you don't necessarily need 1.5 meter (59 inch) span. The larger ones do have more performance and launch higher, but I've had a chance, on a couple of occasions, to fly an Apogee. That's Mark Drela's original designs, not the kit. I've also flown the ECM composite version. These were all quite fun and had pretty good performance. The ECM one had ailerons which were so responsive I had trouble keeping the glider right side up on the first couple of flights. Excellent performance for the size. But in a contest they wouldn't be all that competitive. If you're willing to do some cutting and sanding, a scratch built Apogee can be quite inexpensive. There was a built up wood kit as well, but I don't think I've flown a representative example. The one I flew was said to have flaky servos.

If you're worried about injury on launch, keep your effort level down to 80 percent or less. And warm up, do stretches afterwards, and perhaps a few strength exercises for a few weeks. Look up exercises and stretches for rotator cuffs. Maybe some general stretches etc. for your legs as well.

This kind of flying is very fun and very convenient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyextreme View Post
snip

One concern I have is that I have a bad throwing arm due to an accident, so I'm not sure how throwing via the wingtip peg will work out for me.

So, can these be thrown overhand? Light bungee? And strictly sport flying....which doesn't rule out competition grade planes.
snip
And closer to 60" WS.

snip
Thanks, Bill
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 11:21 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,275 Posts
I'm starting to think that discus launches won't be all that bad on my arm.

I don't have the room to easily do much work on a plane, let alone build one, not mention lack of time. So, I'm keeping my eyes open in the FS section for a used RX ready DLG.

I've pretty much decided on the larger 1.5m sizes.

I'm still undecided about rudder or no rudder (there seems to be 2 camps here). I'm thinking rudder would be usefull.

It seems balsa may not be the best choice to learn on as far as repairing boo-boo's.

I kinda thought this would be a little easier to choose. I'm also finding out these little gems can get quite complicated to dial in.

It's beginning to seem that I may have to spend a little more money than I originally thought to get something that will give me a good enough experience to figure out if DLG is my cup-o-tea or not.

Thanks, Bill
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Last edited by Flyextreme; May 31, 2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old May 28, 2012, 11:58 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,742 Posts
El Dorado park in Long Beach on almost any given weekend will have a few guys flying!
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old May 29, 2012, 12:08 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyextreme View Post
I'm starting to think that discus launches won't be all that bad on my arm.

I'm still undecided about rudder or no rudder (there seems to be 2 camps here). I'm thinking rudder would be usefull.

I kinda thought this would be a little easier to choose. I'm also finding out these little gems can get quite complicated to dial in.

It's beginning to seem that I may have to spend a little more money than I originally thought to get something that will give me a good enough experience to figure out if DLG is my cup-o-tea or not.

Thanks, Bill
Rudder=fun. You do not need to have fun at a contest to win. The DLG is no more complicated to dial in as a good high speed DS ship. You have different modes to take advantage of different flying speeds. I'll bet you spent more for your hot liners than you originally thought also Nothing replaces a good DS flight or a great Heli flight.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Last edited by davidjensen; May 29, 2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old May 29, 2012, 01:25 AM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
El Dorado park in Long Beach on almost any given weekend will have a few guys flying!
I usually show up at ElDo after most or all the DLG guy's are gone. I may have to start getting up earlier.

Until very recently I didn't think this would be something I would be interested in. Then I started to notice some of my fellow High Performance guy's have been really enjoying their DLGs, so I started looking into it. I know enough now that I know I have to try it.
Old May 29, 2012, 01:30 AM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen View Post
Rudder=fun. You do not need to have fun at a contest to win. The DLG is no more complicated to dial in as a good high speed DS ship. You have different modes to take advantage of different flying speeds. I'll bet you spent more for your hot liners than you originally thought also Nothing replaces a good DS flight or a great Heli flight.
I believe you are correct on all points. It's usually only seems complicated until you start doing it.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:04 PM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,275 Posts
So, after almost clicking the "buy" button for a Blaster2 15 times, I ended up getting a KC ELF to get my feet wet and learn to throw. I should be able to use the schoolyard down the street to practice before I go to the feild and look like a complete doofus.

I felt I needed to back up and slow down on what I got for a "first" DLG. We'll see if this little plane will set the DLG hook or not. If I wasn't sinking such a large amount of $$$ in another plane right now, I may have went ahead and got something a little more substantial.

From what I gather, the ELF is not junk by any means.

Anything (tips and such) I should now about the ELF?

Thanks, Bill
Last edited by Flyextreme; Jun 04, 2012 at 12:27 AM. Reason: add
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:35 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,494 Posts
Bill:

The Elf is fine, just follow the instructions.

When you first start to launch, don't just go out and fling it. Get the airplane trimmed first, and I usually do that the old-fashioned, over hand way.

Once you know the airplane flies, start out easy. Work on smooth, not hard; and work on acceleration, not force.

Get yourself down the local DLG ground, and let them walk you through it. It will go much faster and be a lot more fun.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is online now Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:38 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,070 Posts
On the contrary, trim it how you like it. My RC experience from 3d ships, to expensive EDF jets, or expensive 170mph+ pylon planes. My theory gas ALWAYS been the same. Launch and get high ASAP. Start with fully centered control surfaces, then altitude, then trim. works great with 3d, pylon planes, EDF's, and just recently DLG. I gave it a swing, flew off of instinct till ut was high enough to things off glide then trim.
Jwmflying14 is online now Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Jun 04, 2012, 11:22 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,985 Posts
On the very first toss of any new DLG it is highly recommended to do a javilin toss to make sure the elevator trim is correct. If it has some (and it only takes a little) down trim in it and you discus launch it, it may very well end up in the dirt. With power planes you have the cursed fossil fuel burning noise maker that can pull (or push) you to altitude and then you can figure things out. Not so with a DLG. The speed at release can do strange things if the trims are just a fraction of a degree off.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Last edited by davidjensen; Jun 04, 2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Apr 2003
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen View Post
With power planes you have the cursed fossil fuel burning noise maker that can pull (or push) you to altitude and then you can figure things out. Not so with a DLG. The speed at release can do strange things if the trims are just a fraction of a degree off.
There is another significant difference between test-flying a powered aircraft versus a DLG -- with the DLG, your fingers aren't on the sticks to create an immediate response when you see trouble. Oooh, there's yet another difference -- with a full power launch, you have to visually reacquire the aircraft, as opposed to powered flight where you should already be watching the craft. Lack of immediate understanding of a terrestrial trajectory and lack of the immediate ability to correct it are problematic. I've seen more than one person ground smack his DLG on launch because he didn't have the switches in the proper position. The trim and settings on these planes are critical!

Going back to Greg's (Glidermang) comments -- easing into a series of stronger and stronger launches gives you much more information about how the aircraft behaves at different airspeeds and settings, and allows you to make adjustments before you throw your carbon gem into the ground.

I've been fortunate to have the opportunity to launch and fly a number of other people's planes -- I always start with low power tosses to get a feel for the plane, the radio, the switches, the setup, the trim, the arc of the launch, etc. Depending on how comfortable I am, it can take quite a number of throws before I'm giving it full power on launch.

just my point of view. Work into it, observe with a keen eye, and build up into full power launches.

-- Mark
buzzfly is offline Find More Posts by buzzfly
Old Jun 09, 2012, 09:21 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,070 Posts
Well I could see this being true. I guess its time for myself to explain my reasoning.

First off I started with nitro trainers years ago, and soon quickly sold all Nitros when Zagis hit the market, since then I have flown electric. I fly a lot of electric 3d, as well as some high end EDFs. I also fly, and have a passion for F5D pylon planes, whoch are also hand launched. However are much more sensitive to trim, and MUCH harder to launch do to extreme wing loading and torque rolling due to high power systems. I suggested giving it a strong toss because if you did a decently accurate build and controls are centered it is very rare it will need enough trim to make it hit the ground first toss.

Keep in mind however that this is NOT my first handlaunch aircraft so i reaaally don't see the big deal in "getting your thumbs back on controls"

Trust me, its much harder to get hand on tx after throwing a pylon plane that gets screaming fast by the time you get your hands back on the tx....

I also grew up flying foam hand launch battle wings, so i never thought of the tx thing as an issue.

THANKS, Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzfly View Post
There is another significant difference between test-flying a powered aircraft versus a DLG -- with the DLG, your fingers aren't on the sticks to create an immediate response when you see trouble. Oooh, there's yet another difference -- with a full power launch, you have to visually reacquire the aircraft, as opposed to powered flight where you should already be watching the craft. Lack of immediate understanding of a terrestrial trajectory and lack of the immediate ability to correct it are problematic. I've seen more than one person ground smack his DLG on launch because he didn't have the switches in the proper position. The trim and settings on these planes are critical!

Going back to Greg's (Glidermang) comments -- easing into a series of stronger and stronger launches gives you much more information about how the aircraft behaves at different airspeeds and settings, and allows you to make adjustments before you throw your carbon gem into the ground.

I've been fortunate to have the opportunity to launch and fly a number of other people's planes -- I always start with low power tosses to get a feel for the plane, the radio, the switches, the setup, the trim, the arc of the launch, etc. Depending on how comfortable I am, it can take quite a number of throws before I'm giving it full power on launch.

just my point of view. Work into it, observe with a keen eye, and build up into full power launches.

-- Mark
Jwmflying14 is online now Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Last edited by Jwmflying14; Jun 09, 2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: typos
Old Jun 09, 2012, 10:32 PM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,275 Posts
Well, I just received my ELF in the mail. The D47 servos, and Shread-RC lipo arrived today too. The Minama got here Friday, so I have everything I need to be up all night (if nessasary) to get this little jewel ready to trim and fly Sunday.

I will be learning to launch in small steps in the begining. I have been watching Jun's video's and reading alot about the mechanic's of proper launching from various people. It was my intention to go to the feild and be briefed by some of the DLG guy's there first, but I won't be able to make it to the feild, and don't care to wait another week. I'm sure I will be fine as long as I don't get ahead of myself.

Concerning the Shread-RC lipo: I'm guessing the batt is "on" when the plug/cap/pin/jumper (whatever you call it) is "removed"?

Bill