HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2012, 11:27 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,270 Posts
Discussion
Considering trying DLG....suggestions?

I have been something of a speed freak off and on the last 11 or 12 years.

Heavy PSS slope
Dynamic Soaring
Hotliners
Pylon

With a tendancy to push planes faster than they were designed to go. Lately (maybe I'm just getting old) I've been going the direction of slowing it down some. So I'm looking at trying my hand at DLG.

One concern I have is that I have a bad throwing arm due to an accident, so I'm not sure how throwing via the wingtip peg will work out for me.

So, can these be thrown overhand? Light bungee? And strictly sport flying....which doesn't rule out competition grade planes.

I want a decent starter and not break the bank, but not cheap out either. I was looking at the Solo .http://www.soaringusa.com/Solo-DLG.html I looked at some cheaper built-up hand launch planes...I just figure you get what you pay for. I think to learn on...around $300 + or - for an airframe might be about right. And closer to 60" WS.

Any suggestions for a good starter would be appreciated.

EDIT: And what is "disser"?

Thanks, Bill
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Last edited by Flyextreme; May 27, 2012 at 11:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 12:21 AM
Pre-Pocket-Rocket!
Oak Ridge, Tenn.
Joined Aug 2004
3,565 Posts
Actually, DLG is a gentle thing to do!
I have seen excellent launches with just an easy sidearm launch, not much more effort than tossing a tennis ball (ok, a 10 oz tennis ball).
You don't need to do the full power full spin type launch to get to a decent altitude for sport flying.
Yes, you could mount a hook and bungee launch but that de-simplifies things. And overhand will probably be more of a strain than just using the peg.
I'll let others chime in on choices while I go refresh my brain on what "disser" is!
Mike.
skorski is offline Find More Posts by skorski
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More guitar stuff
Old May 28, 2012, 12:34 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
3,980 Posts
Well im new as well. But the discuss launch is very easy. As for disservice it is a type of carbon fiber thread reinforcement. You can tell when you see the "x" web on the wings.
Jwmflying14 is offline Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old May 28, 2012, 12:52 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,795 Posts
I've been flying DLG almost exclusively for about 2 years now, with a couple different body movement limitations (back and knee). I can attest that the DLG throwing motion is quite friendly on the body parts, arm & shoulder included. Good technique will result in good launch height and minimal strain. The only health warning I can give you is... it's highly addictive!

"Disser" is the cross-hatch grid of thin carbon tow strips in wing and/or tail surface layups, designed to add strength and stiffness with very little weight. Don't know why they call it disser, they just do. Seem to recall something about it making a wing stiff enough for "DSing" or Dynamic Soaring, which is very high speed and high stress. Disser maybe evolved as slang from there... maybe... See an example HERE.

The Solo isn't bad. That was my first DLG and I loved it. But there might be some better performers today in that same price range. Take a look at a Topsky 2 or Predator 2. Good discussion threads supporting those here as well.
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Last edited by like.2.fly; May 28, 2012 at 01:08 AM.
Old May 28, 2012, 12:54 AM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,537 Posts
You can learn to throw either arm.

The power of the throw does not come from the arm at all, but from the legs and torso. Speed comes from coordination and balance more than from strength. The arm stays fairly relaxed through the throw. The body swings the arm which transfers the momentum to the plane. Start out easy and learn the technique. Look up Jun's launch technique videos and study the footwork. You can practice that part without a plane. When you get to where you can walk the spin without effort or thought, then you are ready for speed. 0.02c.

Good luck, and welcome on board!

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old May 28, 2012, 02:05 AM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,270 Posts
Thanks guy's.

It seems that Topsky has no planes in stock at all, or are they built to order?

The Predator 2 looks like it could be the ticket. My guess is high wing is preferable instead of low, or is it simply a personal choice?

Bill
Last edited by Flyextreme; May 28, 2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old May 28, 2012, 02:27 AM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,614 Posts
If its a topsky you want consider this deal [if its still on?]

Full carbon for 400 bucks http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1651051
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old May 28, 2012, 08:30 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,199 Posts
Bill:

The Predator 2 is an excellent airplane. And you're right: hi or lo wing, not much difference that I can tell. Go with what looks cool to you, for a first DLG.

Do go back and look for a TopSky 2, though. Hard to beat.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is online now Find More Posts by glidermang
Old May 28, 2012, 10:59 AM
Joined Nov 2010
3,980 Posts
Bill, I am in the same boat as well. I had posted asking which would be best to get, topsly 2.0, predator2, and predator2 low wing.

I have yet to make up my mind =P
Old May 28, 2012, 07:59 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Nov 2006
713 Posts
TopSky 2 / Predator 2.....Have/had both, sold the TS2. P2 is better for the money IMHO. The top surface of the P2 is molded, more accurate airfoil, better finish all around. The carbon d-box is the way to go, really stiff & strong.
FD Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FD Pilot
Old May 28, 2012, 08:06 PM
Joined Nov 2010
3,980 Posts
Besides the molded wing is there any other reason you would pick the P2? The problem is i can get an awesome deal on the T2 not disser, or spend full pop on the P2. Also did you get the low wing? Besides its ugly looks I like tge theory, and a higher cg is more my flying style anyways.
Old May 28, 2012, 08:58 PM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FD Pilot View Post
TopSky 2 / Predator 2.....Have/had both, sold the TS2. P2 is better for the money IMHO. The top surface of the P2 is molded, more accurate airfoil, better finish all around. The carbon d-box is the way to go, really stiff & strong.
I did sorta wondered about some being moulded and some being bagged. I would prefer wing shaped per mould and D-box.

I didn't really want to spend alot on a "first" DLG, but I also don't want to waste money on something that might be lacking in a few critical areas either.

I also don't have much time or space to build so I may look for a used (RX ready) one to get started.

Bill
Old May 28, 2012, 09:10 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,303 Posts
I personally wouldn't spend my money on a Topsky. Get a Blaster 3 (Barry usually has them in stock) or a Helios or Validol if you have the time to wait. They will set you back a little more $$$, but you'll be much happier with the performance and if you decide DLG isn't for you a few months down the road you can sell them here. DLGs hold their value better than most (even including the Topsky).
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old May 28, 2012, 09:53 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,199 Posts
Bill:

If you want to but used, be prepared to commit RIGHT NOW! Reasonable airplanes go very fast. When I sold my Taboos last year, I never even got them posted in the classifieds.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is online now Find More Posts by glidermang
Old May 28, 2012, 10:40 PM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidermang View Post
Bill:

If you want to but used, be prepared to commit RIGHT NOW! Reasonable airplanes go very fast. When I sold my Taboos last year, I never even got them posted in the classifieds.

Yours, Greg
Greg,

I have noticed in the classifieds that they go pretty fast. And that was before I was even looking for one.

I am prepared to buy when the right one comes along.

I will have to try and make a morning trip out to the local field and put the word out that I'm looking. The problem is that I work a later shift, and I'm not used to being able to get up early enough to get out there before noon or later.

Bill