HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2012, 10:01 PM
United States, RI, Smithfield
Joined Dec 2011
744 Posts
Question
Castle Thunderbird 54 issues

Hello,
I recently purchased a Cermark Extra 260 EP55 with the suggested power pack which included a neodym .25 outrunner and a castle Thunderbird 54. They want a 3S 4000-4400 LIPO for this, and as all my other planes take 3S 2200's I bought the Castle parallel deans cable that runs 2 3S 2200mah batteries in parallel for combined 4400 3S. I am using Sky Lipo 40C packs for this. The first time I ran it up, it seemed to work fine on the bench, and the maiden went well though it was a pretty light and short maiden. The next time I went to the the field I opened it up a bit more and had it in WOT for longer, and after maybe a minute and a half in the air it went dead stick. Fortunately I brought it in fine and once on the ground I found the throttle to be working again. I got the castle link module and upgraded the firmware on the ESC (it was at like 1.5 so I upgraded it to the very latest). Now when I run the motor up once I get to over 1/2 throttle the motor makes a horrible squealing sound and loses power. I'll have to double check but I almost feel like the ESC is detecting the 2 packs as 4S instead of 3S, has anyone seen that? Otherwise I'm at a loss as to what the problem might be, any ideas?

Tom
d2tw4all is offline Find More Posts by d2tw4all
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 12:41 AM
United States, RI, Smithfield
Joined Dec 2011
744 Posts
Quick update, it's definitely NOT seeing them as 4S, and it happens even with 1 of the batteries direct. I'm really confused here, as the only changes I made were updating the ESC firmware to latest and putting a slightly larger prop on it. Basically it spools up to about 55% or so and then the motor starts making a really horrible high pitched squealing sound and loses power. Love to hear some input here as I'm at a loss and I don't see much to adjust on this ESC. Others I'd try changing the timing, but for some reason on these castle thunderbirds you can't? Help!?

Tom
d2tw4all is offline Find More Posts by d2tw4all
Old Dec 02, 2013, 01:15 PM
Joined Jan 2011
39 Posts
Tom you use. a wrong cable, you have a serial cable and not parall.
WiiCopter is offline Find More Posts by WiiCopter
Old Dec 03, 2013, 11:15 AM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2tw4all View Post
Quick update, it's definitely NOT seeing them as 4S, and it happens even with 1 of the batteries direct. I'm really confused here, as the only changes I made were updating the ESC firmware to latest and putting a slightly larger prop on it. Basically it spools up to about 55% or so and then the motor starts making a really horrible high pitched squealing sound and loses power. Love to hear some input here as I'm at a loss and I don't see much to adjust on this ESC. Others I'd try changing the timing, but for some reason on these castle thunderbirds you can't? Help!?

Tom
It sounds like you are loosing sync... the Thunderbird has limited programming compared to most of the other Castle ESCs. You may try going to a different firmware and you may want to double check the solder joints on the motor side of the ESC... A bad solder joint could cause you to loose sync also.
Clintstone is offline Find More Posts by Clintstone