HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2012, 11:48 AM
Switzerland
Joined Jan 2007
18 Posts
strange question from me :-)))

when you use epoxy, is it just normal 5 minutes or 30 minutes epoxy?

or is there a special foamie epoxy?
McDaniel is offline Find More Posts by McDaniel
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2012, 12:02 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Sep 2008
300 Posts
Good question...

Be careful with 5 min epoxy... it MAY melt the foam when it cures if it gets to hot, but it probably will not melt anything. I use 15 and 30 min and there is no problem, it does not get as hot. 15 and 30 gives you time to position parts and clean of any excess glue with alcohol. Too much alcohol can mess up the paint finish a little, so try no to use to much... all the Unique Models planes are ok to use alcohol with, the paint is not affected much by it....
jetpilotrich is offline Find More Posts by jetpilotrich
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jetpilotrich; May 31, 2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old May 31, 2012, 12:18 PM
Switzerland
Joined Jan 2007
18 Posts
thank you for all the infos :-)
Old Jun 06, 2012, 04:39 PM
Switzerland
Joined Jan 2007
18 Posts
got the model today....I am impressed with the overall quality so far :-)
question, is there any information about the control surfaces throw distances?

how many minutes you time your flights with the 2600 mah?

now I just need to find some free time to build this baby....
Old Jun 06, 2012, 05:25 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Sep 2008
300 Posts
Glad you got it!

I can check out mine and let you know what they are, set everything on the outer most holes....on all the horns.

5 to 7 min on the 2650

Rich
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2012, 05:27 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Sep 2008
300 Posts
Also, let me know if the build guide helps you out with the building the model....

Thanks

Rich
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:39 PM
Switzerland
Joined Jan 2007
18 Posts
well for sure I will follow your tips, I think I will even use diffrent parts on the elevators and ailerons...for safety, not sure about the servos....

Rich, it would help tremendous, if you could send me some of your flying skills... as I see that part as the bigest challenge, especially the landing part...

Let you know when I build that beauty...maybe I do it this weekend :-)

Update.... I just started to put the horns on...also I guess I want to reinforce the cowling.

First problem I see, my desire 2600 lipo is big, I have no idea how that battery is going to fit in there?
Rich can you maybe post a picture how you arranged the inside mess under the canopy....that would be cool

Many thanks again!
Last edited by McDaniel; Jun 07, 2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:14 AM
Starting to get there....
Portugal, Lisboa
Joined Oct 2011
4 Posts
Hi,

I would like to see a video some day of someone building something that it isn't PNF or RTF....just a Kit version and some electronics of his choice...just a thought...

Regards
marquesq is offline Find More Posts by marquesq
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:39 AM
Orlando, FL
Joined Sep 2008
300 Posts
i may do something like that in the future, but it would be a long video...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2012, 05:06 PM
Switzerland
Joined Jan 2007
18 Posts
some minor issues....

Funny, I wrote before I am not sure about the servos :roll eyes:

So I was installing the ailerons rudder horn when the servo arm fell off, no screw was in place ....well no bigy, I will fix that.

So I hooked up everything to center servos and test....the ailerons servos move in the same direction...wierd, they are hooked up with a Y cable, which I don't really like but no problem on a such cheap model.

After some tweaking I gave up and got 2 hitec 65 servos from a long gone funjet and voila it works as it should.

When I took out the servo where the arm fell off, I observed, that it had grey foam on a side which never touched my F4U, so this was a pre-used servo which must also been reversed, makes all sense....but I don't find it to funny :roll eyes:

We learn again...check everything twice on those models

Question Rich: does your tailwheel also move in the gear up position? or should there be a switch off???

Thanks

McDan out
Last edited by McDaniel; Jun 09, 2012 at 02:40 AM.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 07:00 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Sep 2008
300 Posts
Sorry, you had some problems...

You are doing the right thing as i do... all reciever ready foam models should be inspected for these types of issues.... I usually have a few small glitches with all my foam models... but I did not have those particular ones with this plane....

as for the aileron servos... it sounds like they gave you a reversed aileron servo that should have been put in a flap position instead.... as for the potentially used servo... its possible that it was not used but removed from another of their planes on the assembly line and reinstalled in your plane...but who knows? I usually keep a stock of HXT900 servos from Hobby King for just this sort of thing they are $2.69 each and worth having around.... also it is possible to ditch the Y harness and run the servos into seperate channels and just reverse one.

Also, if you contact Curtis at Easytigermodels, he will probably send you a replacement servo... he is usually good about replacing stuff like that... also send a picture to curtis of the grey on the servo...

My tail wheel does move and does not shut off... there is a seperate servo attached to the tail gear that can be replaced if needed...

keep me posted..

Rich
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jetpilotrich; Jun 08, 2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 11:54 AM
Switzerland
Joined Jan 2007
18 Posts
So I am finish with the build and everything works as it should :-)

But there is one thing, I see now way how my battery is going to fit in that small compartment, maybe a picture of your setup under the canopy would help me :-)

After that just some balancing and the the maiden can take place soon ....

Talking about balancing...how the heck do I balance a 4 blade prop??? first time for me.....

Thanks

PS: I got the plane here in switzerland from a vendor, I changed the elevator and the ailerons servos to hitec 65 HB. So I have now some replacement parts for the rudder, tailwheel and 1 Flap servo :-)
Last edited by McDaniel; Jun 09, 2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 12:22 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Sep 2008
300 Posts
McDan,

Here is a picture of my arrangement.... i have made no change to the battery compartment itself because i am using batteries that are relatively square... here is the link to the dimentions of the battery i use... I have 4 of them, they work great and are very powerful..... http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl2650-4s1p-30c-4444.html

However there is lots of foam that can be shaved from the sides and a little off the bottom of the compartment.

Here is the picture!

Rich
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jetpilotrich; Jun 09, 2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 12:35 PM
Switzerland
Joined Jan 2007
18 Posts
Nice and clean Rich!

I need to rearange my stuff, way to much cables there

I get the battery in, but I cant close the canopy...

Will try tomorrow, soon a europen champion soccer game starts....also time for a beer

cheers
Old Jun 09, 2012, 12:52 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Sep 2008
300 Posts
If the battery is to long you can trim some of the long tab off of the front of the canopy... the tab is intended to help keep the battery from sliding back and changing the CG.

Soccer & Beer time! Cheers..

Rich
RCG Plus Member