HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2012, 07:47 PM
Registered Lurker
Joined Aug 2004
2,611 Posts
Rant
naza -- how to use without internet access?

What is with forcing people to register with an email address to use software tied to a piece of physical hardware?

How do you use the Naza assistant without having to give them an email address, or give internet access to a software that tries to contact china?

I have all nearly all of china blacklisted from my routers so there's no way to get a 'activation email', and that's not going to change until the the number of intrusion attempts drops below 20 a day (read as, Not going to happen)

None of this was listed as a requirement to purchase on any of the Naza distributor websites.

--Update: After jumping through hoops to set up an email address that is accessible to china, installing the software on a separate platform given access to the internet, and running the naza assistant and having it claim success for registering... There's no email sent from dji, so I can't use the product even after these efforts.

---Update 'next day'. Multiple free email account generations later, the naza product finally sent an activation email. What a pain.
Nethole is offline Find More Posts by Nethole
Last edited by Nethole; May 28, 2012 at 07:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2012, 08:00 PM
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
8,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethole View Post
What is with forcing people to register with an email address to use software tied to a piece of physical hardware?

How do you use the Naza assistant without having to give them an email address, or give internet access to a software that tries to contact china?

I have all nearly all of china blacklisted from my routers so there's no way to get a 'activation email', and that's not going to change until the the number of intrusion attempts drops below 20 a day (read as, Not going to happen)

None of this was listed as a requirement to purchase on any of the Naza distributor websites.
Then it looks like you need to return it... You need inet access to at least register and unlock software.. Just like 90% of all software this day and age.

Dont forget to store that tinfoil hat in a safe place
blade strike is offline Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Dji fpv hub
Old May 27, 2012, 08:21 PM
Why do I bother with this crap
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
1,881 Posts
Sheesh- even Micro$oft has an option to register by phone; many other software companies as well. Naza screwed up.

You buy it, you own it.

The remark about tinfoil hats was tasteless and rude.
2400RDR is offline Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old May 27, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined Jan 2006
8,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR View Post
Sheesh- even Micro$oft has an option to register by phone; many other software companies as well. Naza screwed up.

You buy it, you own it.

The remark about tinfoil hats was tasteless and rude.
Sorry had to... coming from a network background, blocking china and thinking your safe is an oxymoron...
Site Sponsor
Old May 27, 2012, 08:32 PM
Registered Lurker
Joined Aug 2004
2,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade strike View Post

Dont forget to store that tinfoil hat in a safe place
---*darth vader voice* I find your lack of faith disturbing

<snip from recent logs>
Authentication Failures:
unknown (58.30.76.21): 6795 Time(s)
root (58.30.76.21): 951 Time(s)
apache (58.30.76.21): 33 Time(s)
ftp (58.30.76.21): 29 Time(s)
uucp (58.30.76.21): 27 Time(s)
bin (58.30.76.21): 25 Time(s)
adm (58.30.76.21): 21 Time(s)
Invalid Users:
Unknown Account: 6821 Time(s)
<end snip>

Software doesn't need internet access, it just requires 'good customer service'. If the DJI distributors have good customer service, as so many of the posts here claim, then it shouldn't be such a problem to provide an activation for software on a secured platform.
Old May 27, 2012, 08:37 PM
Joined Jan 2006
8,359 Posts
Quote:
---*darth vader voice* I find your lack of faith disturbing

<snip from recent logs>
Authentication Failures:
unknown (58.30.76.21): 6795 Time(s)
root (58.30.76.21): 951 Time(s)
apache (58.30.76.21): 33 Time(s)
ftp (58.30.76.21): 29 Time(s)
uucp (58.30.76.21): 27 Time(s)
bin (58.30.76.21): 25 Time(s)
adm (58.30.76.21): 21 Time(s)
Invalid Users:
Unknown Account: 6821 Time(s)
<end snip>

Software doesn't need internet access, it just requires 'good customer service'. If the DJI distributors have good customer service, as so many of the posts here claim, then it shouldn't be such a problem to provide an activation for software on a secured platform.
um... set a rule in your firewall to block ip's. Not block a whole country

btw, just cause you block cn doesnt mean that someone cant come via a US ip via a shell

All in all, just register the software unlock and you dont have to use inet agian! You could even use a free email account, that should make you feel even better
Site Sponsor
Old May 27, 2012, 08:40 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
1,881 Posts
If they're so gaddamn paranoid about it, they can just provide a USB hardware key with the controller and software. Cheap solution.
Old May 27, 2012, 08:45 PM
Joined Jan 2006
8,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR View Post
If they're so gaddamn paranoid about it, they can just provide a USB hardware key with the controller and software. Cheap solution.
true, but I wouldnt want the cost to go up cause people are freaking about registering. A LOT of software requires you to register to get support!
Site Sponsor
Old May 27, 2012, 08:50 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
1,881 Posts
They can't be bothered to fix a software problem that causes the controller to go into unexpected failsafe mode and chop people up, so why should they make it easy to register the software?
Old May 27, 2012, 08:51 PM
Registered Lurker
Joined Aug 2004
2,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade strike View Post
true, but I wouldnt want the cost to go up cause people are freaking about registering. A LOT of software requires you to register to get support!
I don't want 'SUPPORT', I want to use hardware I purchased as it was advertised. It was not advertised as having to (a) create a freemail account somewhere sign up for that, wait for authentication, and then register with their service, or (b) open up my firewalls and purge the mailer rules for all forwarded email from china (and south america, and most of eastern europe, and korea).

It has 'download software to use', No other requirements. Provide that, I'll be happy.
Old May 27, 2012, 08:59 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
1,881 Posts
Quote:
I don't want 'SUPPORT', I want to use hardware I purchased as it was advertised. It was not advertised as having to (a) create a freemail account somewhere sign up for that, wait for authentication, and then register with their service, or (b) open up my firewalls and purge the mailer rules for all forwarded email from china (and south america, and most of eastern europe, and korea).

It has 'download software to use', No other requirements. Provide that, I'll be happy.
Really- return that crap to whoever you bought it from. Then buy a KK board and fly with that until you can snag a CC board. Open source is really nice. Great community, superb controller.