HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:12 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,641 Posts
Seppo is a guy who answered a post I put on CNCZone looking for someone whod help get the Scratcho moulds cut. He has a decent CNC router for his business, developing communications equipment, but its only been used for 2-D work so far. Seppo started aeromodelling only a year ago and would like to learn a bit about composite moulding. Hes happy to make the Scratcho his first 3-D project for the CNC, and Im going to show him the basics of making planes, so its good for both of us.

But as a builder hes already shown some great initiative he and his mates have built several big gas powered R/C homebrews including a foam cored, glass skinned monster they entered in the UAV Outback Challenge but crashed it before the main event! A huge effort however.

Anyway weve talked on the phone and email but I hadnt met Seppo face to face, so when he told me that he and his brothers own a vintage Antonov 2, based up at Caboolture Warplane Museum, I was keen to have a look. I arrived today just as it was landing from a joyflight. I have to say for such a huge plane, its a floater! Big flaps and slats it looked like it had the glide slope of a Parkzone Radian despite its 1000hp, 30 litre displacement 9 cylinder radial engine and 5.5 tonne fully loaded weight!

Anyway it was great to meet Seppo. He got his GA license at 16 and flies commercial freighters in combination with running his business. His Dad has always flown, and his brothers are instructors. We climbed aboard and he sat me in the seat and talked me thru the cockpit. Its not actually all that old, but a very old design. Production of the AN2 started in about 1942, and this one was made in Poland in 1989 which was the very last year of production. I got to have a good look around the museum as well, and we sat down for a late Smoko where I did some show and tell about the Scratcho; the building, flying. The folks sitting around the table had never heard of Dynamic Soaring so Seppo started to explain it and I filled in the gaps, and they seemed to be on the edge of their seats listening! People who love flying just love hearing more amazing things about flight.

We went out to the car and looked at some moulds and other bits Id brought, and Seppo was really impressed. Im in no big rush, so Im looking forward to working with Seppo on getting the CNC 3-D process working and hopefully making some good moulds. It was a good experience!
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:38 AM
ERS....Energy Retention System
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,568 Posts
Very cool Andrew... Love the sound of 1000hp , 30L engine...ha ha.
That is a massive biplane...
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:42 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,940 Posts
I'd LOVE to feel that engine, through that air frame, and through the seat of my pants!

I just ordered/received an Alula after seeing my buddies'. Naturally I peruse the dedicated threads here and laugh at the arguments of 4 - 5.2 oz original version (smaller) vs next generation's 5.4 - 6.8oz -and wildly varying weights across the board- and just laugh.

It's just not linear. Simple as that- so that it just simply doesn't work to say that a plane, say, 2x the size should have the same wing loading. I'm not about to get out of my recliner to reach the four feet to the drawer with the calculator in it to see what that Antonov 2 wing loading is in comparable units to say, a Speedo.

Where was I? Oh yeah. Silly old school /new school Alula thread.

Funny I'm replying here...but it's taken days to read through 111 of 186 posts over there and I'm the novel type and don't want to interupt until I've read to the end. I find myself wanting to reply to sooo many posts that are three years old!!

So yeah...wing air thingy numbers of science... ROCK!!!
cityevader is online now Find More Posts by cityevader
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:45 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,940 Posts
P.S.

Does the owl wing-walk too?
cityevader is online now Find More Posts by cityevader
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:48 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,641 Posts
Oh, yeah, the sound of that engine was something else.

This is their website ... I think I'd like to go for a joyflight!
http://an2.com.au
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:10 PM
Cerritos, CA
Joined Nov 2004
165 Posts
My son and I saw an AN2 at the Bartlesville, Oklahoma, biplane fly-in back in the early '90s. As a single engine taildragger the horizontal stab is so high that you walk under it standing upright. Very impressive.

Jerry
jsmillett is online now Find More Posts by jsmillett
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:40 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Mar 2012
38 Posts
Ampreg Scratcho is reborn!

Well after many attempts to purchase Alex finally offered me the Scratcho.
I am so pleased. So much so i secretly whilst at work today gave the ole girl a nice new shinny coat of paint. I was planning on redoing the original scheme but "nek minute" id added some checkers and a custom pearl orange and vwahla the Scratcho is reborn.
Ill post some assembled pics tomorrow.

Rob
Name: DSCF3973.jpg
Views: 113
Size: 215.5 KB
Description:

Name: DSCF3974.jpg
Views: 64
Size: 163.2 KB
Description:

Name: DSCF3975.jpg
Views: 58
Size: 256.2 KB
Description:

Name: DSCF3976.jpg
Views: 91
Size: 251.5 KB
Description:

Name: DSCF3977.jpg
Views: 106
Size: 182.9 KB
Description:
radacl69 is offline Find More Posts by radacl69
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:57 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,641 Posts
Rob, that is flippin' awesome!!! I got a big grin looking at that. Looks like you've filled that deep print pinholing as well?? Heck this thing might go much faster now!!!

For those who don't know, Rob teaches panelbeating as his job! So it shouldn't be a surprise that he can do such a brilliant paintjob! But it is a surprise to see such a glowing beautiful job on that crappy old Scratcho!! I think I need some tuition Rob. I'll come over to Christchurch to learn from you!!

PS - I'm going to have to sort out another Scratcho for Alex. Can't have him without one in his quiver! And it would be nice to see reports with 3 Scratchos in NZ. Four if I'm there too.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:23 AM
R.I.P
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jan 2010
3,507 Posts
Sick paint job!!
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:50 AM
Dave Pope Manawatu NZ
Palmerston North NZ
Joined Dec 2006
1,259 Posts
awesome paint job, would be great to do something like that, dreams are free
pope is offline Find More Posts by pope
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:11 AM
Slovenia, Kamnik
Joined Jan 2011
61 Posts
Nice one!

Simon
two stroke is offline Find More Posts by two stroke
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:49 AM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,656 Posts
DUDE! YOU ARE FRIGGIN INSANE!!!

You are Radacl Rob!

I have no words other than I think that Scratcho is in it's rightful hands!

WOW
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:39 AM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,122 Posts
Scratcho now has a painting at his level, looks like a F1 grid for 1s place

Andr
decones is offline Find More Posts by decones
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:44 AM
ERS....Energy Retention System
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,568 Posts
Lol "nek minute".... Learnt that off my kiwi neighbor ..funny.

Love the new steet machine paint job on the scratcho.. BUT you missed the checkers on the tail..
Wicked work mate.

Tim
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:41 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Mar 2012
38 Posts
thanks for all the kind words guys, im super pleased with how she turned out even gave it a flat n buff today. Heres the assembled pics all programmed and ready to fly

Rob

Name: DSCF3980.jpg
Views: 82
Size: 158.3 KB
Description: Name: DSCF3979.jpg
Views: 65
Size: 144.8 KB
Description: Name: DSCF3978.jpg
Views: 103
Size: 179.2 KB
Description:
radacl69 is offline Find More Posts by radacl69