HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2012, 05:37 PM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,009 Posts
Go Alex!

Going to be cool to see what you can do with these birds.

Eric
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,682 Posts
By A/C's I mean part's from composite's for every Grumman plane made at that time. Tomcat, Hawkeye, Intruder, Prowler and Mohawk and the list could go on.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:17 AM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,030 Posts
I didn't get to fly my new Scratco today as we had to walk up the hill due to my front wheel drive mazda not being able to get traction evn at the bottom. First time we have flown tekapo so only took up a foam wing I did last night and the RT42.

We flew Andrew Palmer's one, the Vac Bagged Scratcho. HE LOVED IT! Ate up the 45-55mph air! seemed very nose heavy as elevator was lacking somewhat, but he had no snap flap progammed in as we programmed it on the slope prior to flying. No DS of Scratchos yet
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:23 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,430 Posts
That is excellent to hear Alex!!! Dang, what a bummer you didn't get to fly and DS the heavier one! Man, 45 - 55mph air is just sensational ... the stuff of dreams, but not of reality, here in South East Qld unfortunately. CG should be OK on the vac bagged one ... seems strange about the lack of elevator - it was great when I flew it a coupla weeks ago, but I did have snap flap too.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:52 AM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,238 Posts
WOW. Just stumbled on this thread. Cool Andrew.

Great score on them Alex....fly em lik you stole em...

Andrew's record is going down....well that's why there in the land of the wind gods.

Tim
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:50 AM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,030 Posts
LIKE I STOLE IT:

Scratcho 267mph (1 min 37 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:16 AM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,074 Posts
holy crap, 70mph burst? Turbulence winds sometimes...
Scratcho never flew so fast
NZ seems to be the Disney Land for dsing, I'm impressive, the wind is always blowing and the place is like a labyrinth of Hills!
decones is offline Find More Posts by decones
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:56 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,030 Posts
Yep! That's why I want to share it with the world in December.

These two trips were to get another site on the database for the DS week
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:51 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,430 Posts
Here's some more of what Alex had to say about the Tekapo site, the day, and some info about the Scratcho he flew;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post22661047
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:27 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,430 Posts
I'm trying to work out where to go next with it. So many interesting options.

I'd like to make another super light PU wing, to improve on the first effort. Rhys is buying that first one, and a really nice very light fuse I made last week, and the very light PU tails.

I have some more dense foam with slower working time coming. So I'd like to make a heavier layup wing, with a socked spar and stiffeners and maybe a little lead in the span, as a nice DS Scratcho.

But then I have 2 unpainted wings in the cupboard: the experimental ones where I put foam cores into the wings and Ampreg too. They're excellent wings, perfect for slope and moderate DS, and I put them aside at the time as I wanted to make even lighter ones. I feel that they should be priority no. 1 at the moment ... paint them and make fuses and tails and get them flying and/or sell them.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:32 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,030 Posts
I know a couple of guys here that would love Scratchos *wink

Also Bruce Tebo emailed me saying he would love one too
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:08 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,430 Posts
You're kidding me! Man it would be good to see Bruce with a Scratcho! Chris Boz also said to send him one if I want to get it over 300mph! I think you'll do it first Alex.

Another factor in my indecision is that I have had wing, stab and fin moulds professionally drawn up by Will in the UK, and I'm looking for an option to get them CNC cut. So in a way, I am reluctant to put much work into new wings as I'd like to be making them with the new moulds. They'll obviously be very accurate, and won't have the many flaws that the current moulds have (so paint jobs will be nicer), but also they'll have some work-saving markings on them like hingelines and screw holes marked.

There's a lot that I've left off this thread, which has been posted on other threads. I recently made a new nose cone mould, and due to my mild stupidity I had half of the mould stick badly, so I've been cleaning up and repairing that.

The light fuse I made to go with Rhys's wing and tails is impressively light. 70gm feels soooo much lighter than the previous lightest, which was 90gm. But it was hard to get out of the mould and I lightly cracked the boom, pulling it out. I've learnt that I need to slip a bit of seat belt webbing under it to the wing saddle area, and pull up on that rather than the boom. One day I should probably revise the fuse mould so it has more curve and doesn't hang up as much.

The Scratcho is fast. Even my very light one is very quick on the frontside without camber. When I flew my Willow for a while the other day I really enjoyed F3F lapping it. Then I switched back to the Scratcho and its slippery speed was a surprise by comparison.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:36 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,030 Posts
What was the foil again?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:26 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,430 Posts
Hn1038
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:34 AM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
738 Posts
Its so good to see the enthusiasm. But it seems to be clouding your judgement.

I have a similar situation with loads of different projects on the go, different options and getting to the stage where I spend more time thinking "What am I going to do next" and not "how am I going to do that" or "when". It waists time. And gets me down.

My solutions (Which may or may not work for you are).
what do you want to achieves more than anything? This should be your focal point and everything else can get done when this is in progress, Or halted for some reason.
I have got rid of projects. try thin down things. Get parts to a stage where people can finish the job, and get the money coming in.
For me now I am looking for space, so again try sell what ever is not in your traget path.

For what you have got on your plate, I would move things on with as little work as possible. and concentrate on getting the moulds done. There may be some parallel work going on as for getting the moulds done is not a shed job.

If I am not sure, I like to sleep on things. and try again in the morning. Sometimes it takes months, and in that time you need to not get wound up by it (Which I know can be easier said than done). Leave it on the bench and look at it every now and them. Discuss it with the lads on the field. Sometimes hearing your self say things gives you the answer.

But Please don't loose the faith, And remember that I want a scratch too please. (No Pressure)
wdeighton is offline Find More Posts by wdeighton