HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2003, 01:42 PM
Joined Aug 2003
150 Posts
Scorpio WW1 Albatross Dva

Just bought a Scorpio Albatross from my local hobby shop for a really good price, I like the kit, But will be painting it with accurate trim scheme(new Lozenge) etc. I am also going to add Ailerons for better flight control. I have been thinking of two methods of doing this.

1: Mount one servo in the lower wing under the fuselage and then extend the servo arms(using duPro Aileron hardware) out to the two bottom wing Ailerons, I would then use a push-pull rod from the lower wing to top wing.

2: Mount a servo on the top wing(under the dummy Radiator) using the rad to cover the servo, and then run the wires out to the upper wing Ailerons(maybe a pull -pull method) on the upper wing servo. Unfortunately the ailerons on a historic Dva are on the ends of each wing, A long way for the Aileron linakges to travel.

Option number two is more scale like, but I am concerned about the pull- pull method and running the wiring from the upper wing to the receiver located in the fuselage., Servo mounting, etc.

Does anyone have ideas, knowledge concerning my problems with option number two?

Thanks all for your help, This forum is great!

Dave
midavide is offline Find More Posts by midavide
Last edited by midavide; Nov 04, 2003 at 01:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2003, 02:17 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Peter Rake suggested to me on a Camel I di, that a fuselage mounted servo with pull-pull going through lower wings to bottom of ailerons on horns, then up to top ailerons, then forward to pulleys and connect at the center of the top wing would work.

Its a question of being able to run four pulleys and the control runs.

I chickened and put a servo in each wing and push rods to the uppers :-)
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Nov 04, 2003, 03:35 PM
Joined Aug 2003
150 Posts
I am leaning toward Option one now. The thickness of the top wing makes it difficult to mount a servo. The pushrod system between the two wings and the bottom Aileron would be the only "non-scale. issue.

Also looking at "spider line" for rigging

Dave
Old Nov 05, 2003, 03:21 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,781 Posts
Dave,
The scale system on an Albatros is too easy to discount. If you run closed loops cables from the fuselage, under the bottom wing, turn them through a curved piece of tube and take them straight to the aileron. Both cables exited the bottom wing in roughly the same position, and the horn extended in front of, and behind the aileron hinge line, with a slot in the wing for the front portion.
Look at some scale drawings, and you'll see how easy it can be. Kurt used just such a system on his DV and I've drawn something similar for my DIII. No complicated pulleys involved, just short lengths of curved tube.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Nov 05, 2003, 12:08 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Fife
Joined May 1999
2,849 Posts
Dave,

If your talking "spider wire" fishing line, despite what it says on the package, it'll stretch. It seems to be temperature/humidity, sensitive in my experience. I don't use it any more for rigging or pull/pull systems.
Ian Easton is offline Find More Posts by Ian Easton
Old Nov 07, 2003, 12:15 PM
Joined Aug 2003
150 Posts
I have all the pieces now, Painting is underway. I wil post building pics here.

Dave
Old Nov 07, 2003, 12:21 PM
Joined Aug 2003
150 Posts
My Colour scheme

I have attached my colour scheme. I don't know if these are actual colours (used in a Jasta) but it looks good.

This is Steve Hustad's model

Does anyone know?

Dave
Last edited by midavide; Nov 07, 2003 at 12:29 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2003, 11:46 AM
Joined Aug 2003
150 Posts
Albatross build pictures

Just starting to apply the Lozenge. I printing lozenge from Arizona models(using Avery transparent label paper) I have also started paint the fuselage.

Dave

Top Lozenge
Old Nov 09, 2003, 11:46 AM
Joined Aug 2003
150 Posts
Bottom Lozenge
Old Nov 27, 2003, 12:12 AM
Joined Aug 2003
150 Posts
Tail and fusalage started. I am in the process of applying lozenge to the wings. This is Vfw Sigman's Albatros D.Va fro Jasta 78b

Dave
Old Nov 27, 2003, 11:34 PM
Joined Aug 2003
150 Posts
A little further tonight ...
Old Nov 28, 2003, 02:22 PM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
Dave -

I have the aileron servo mounted in the top wing and small dia wire like that used for the rudder and elevator actuating them. It works great and it flies very scale. Last year I won "Best Warbird" at a large fly-in with the rudder/ elevator version.

Rob
RMason is offline Find More Posts by RMason
Old Nov 28, 2003, 05:49 PM
Joined Aug 2003
150 Posts
Rob, I am interested on how you mount the small servo in the top wing(i don't have much foam in the top wing). I was going to run aileron wires from the bottom wing under the fusaledge and then have a push rod to the top wing. I like your idea better, and it's more scale.

dave
Old Nov 29, 2003, 09:30 PM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,241 Posts
Albatros Aileron setup

Dave, how did your final version turn out? Any pics? Sure would like to know. Do you know a source for this plane? I rather fancy one. Great job on the lozenge. Maybe you could tell us some more about it. All the best. Martys
martys is offline Find More Posts by martys
Old Dec 01, 2003, 01:22 PM
Joined Aug 2003
150 Posts
This Dva is in progress. The kit is from Scorpio and beleive it was distributed by Hobby Lobby in the US. Ripmax distributes it in the UK. I am looking at their Se5a but do not know if there is a distributer for Scorpio in the US or Canada. Does anyone know?

Dave