HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2001, 01:39 PM
Terre Haute, Indiana
Joined Nov 2000
357 Posts
how did you find your lost plane?

It went down in 9 foot tall corn this morning. After an initial search I went back and got my transmitter thinking that the prop might still be free to turn. Blipping the throttle I finally heard the wine of the motor about 10 rows away. There it was half way up where the corn caught it. No damage. The rudder servo tape had come loose causing loss of rudder control.
Richard is offline Find More Posts by Richard
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2001, 11:13 PM
Folsom,Ca,USA
Joined Apr 2001
992 Posts
Lucky!! Good thinking on your part, but still very lucky!

9 foot corn? What is it? Corn on steroids?

Glad you found it!

I think someone makes a "beeper" that goes off when you turn off the transmitter but I don't remember who.

DaveW is offline Find More Posts by DaveW
Old Jul 15, 2001, 12:17 AM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,495 Posts
Well most of the time I try to crash right in front of me, but about 5 years ago I deadsticked my .40 size trainer into a cornfield, (across the club lake) and spent 40 minutes looking for it. That cornfield has claimed others that were never found.......until the farmer harvesting the field hit it with his corn husker thing.

Lately the planes that have gone in at our field (different field) that I have to look for have all crashed in to a creek so we hear the splash.

Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 15, 2001, 01:16 AM
Calgary, ab, canada
Joined Dec 1999
325 Posts
I carry my TX with me and quickly wiggle the Elevator control to hear the servos moving, turning on the throttle may cause damage if the prop is stuck in the weeds or worse...
Bruce is offline Find More Posts by Bruce
Old Jul 15, 2001, 07:50 AM
Ventura, California, United States
Joined Jan 2001
119 Posts
I slope fly on a hill where there isn't a clear view from the top to bottom and we have a few favorite places with rather descriptive names like "Valley of Death". Hill is covered with coastal chaparral with bushes up to 8 to 10 ft and depressions from washouts 3 to 4 ft deep. Planes hide in these places and some have been known to hide for a year or two until someone stumbles onto them. If really lost you go to down to the streets below and search with binoculars and hope you spot it.

I have installed the Hobbico Air Alert, Low Voltage & Lost Aircraft Alarm in all my planes. This has saved me lots of time, and probably an airplane or two. It sure makes it nicer to stand at the top of the hill knowing approximately where it went down waiting for the beeper to go off before starting my downward trek. Of course the alarm didn't help the day the battery ejected out of the Zagi 400X and power to the beeper was lost. Lots of looking that day, but did find it. This beeper has proved to be a good investment, ~10% of the total cost of a foamie and it's radio equipment but well worth it.

There are other types and one is available from Ohmark where you turn off your transmitter and it beeps; and there may be other manufactures. Herb
herbs is offline Find More Posts by herbs
Old Jul 15, 2001, 08:11 AM
Houston,TX
Joined Mar 2000
1,217 Posts
I did the same thing with the radio and motor to find my model. However in this case it was in dense trees. I was standing directly under the model and could hear it but still couldn't see it. The good part was that there was very little damage, trees seems to be pretty gentle to airplanes in most cases.
ScottS is offline Find More Posts by ScottS
Old Jul 15, 2001, 09:05 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Where I live, I just saddle up my horse and go riding in the general direction. Being higher off the ground helps and he does most of the work! The transmitter trick helps and so far I've only lost one. It will turn up though!
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Jul 15, 2001, 09:34 AM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,302 Posts
Built myself one of these. Works great, loud enough you can tell which direction to go looking for it. Sometimes it's only a few feet away, but can't see it, but sure can hear it.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/alr25/anglais/electronics.html
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette
Old Jul 15, 2001, 09:38 AM
Dundas, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2000
328 Posts
If you don't want to build your own I stock them...You can get the price in US dollars by looking at the printable price list.

The prices on everything is in Canadain Dollars. If you cant find it send me an email.

Sean Doering http://www.electric-rc-newsletter.com/
Sean is offline Find More Posts by Sean
Old Jul 15, 2001, 10:51 AM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
http://www.electric-rc-newsletter.com/

That's exactly what I was thinking of for Richard, but couldn't find one on the web. I used a similar one years ago for corn and soy beans. We all know what corn is like, soybeans are low, but dense. A plane can be 20 feet from the hole if it was a shallow angle.

Your's seems a lot smaller than what I had. I'm glad to see that things have progressed.

Being a slowflier I now fly over mown (by someone else) fields and no farther than I'm willing to walk, which is NOT very far.

RB

Red Baron 47 is offline Find More Posts by Red Baron 47
Old Jul 15, 2001, 11:14 AM
Sierra Vista,AZ,USA
Joined Jul 2000
174 Posts
Some years ago I belonged to the Paris RC Club in France. We flew from the corner of an active airport, surrounded on two sides (over which we did our flying, of course) by cornfields. Whenever we lost one in the corn it was a simple matter of walking over to the control tower and engaging one of the Cub pilots (for a couple of francs gas money) to take us up for a search. The only problem was getting the pilots to fly high enough; they liked to demonstrate their prowess by dipping their wings into the corn.
Deane is offline Find More Posts by Deane
Old Jul 15, 2001, 04:54 PM
VNe
missing member
Chandler, AZ
Joined Apr 2001
71 Posts
The joys of living in the desert. I can usually see where I crash from the puff of dust... just a matter of walking to the hole in the dirt. Not too much in the way of trees or bushes to cushion the crash or hinder the search.
VNe is offline Find More Posts by VNe
Old Jul 15, 2001, 05:39 PM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,313 Posts
Glad you found it ! My son lost his in corn the other day. Luckily my wife was watching with him and kept her eye on the spot and steered him to it. The prop had become lodged in a corn plant and it was over head high.

I lost a plane once and took three months to find it. I now believe highly in flying partners, or at least a spotter to watch where it went.
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P
Old Jul 15, 2001, 06:18 PM
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Joined Jun 2001
8 Posts
15 years ago I too lost a plane in a corn field in southern Indiana near Vincennes. 9 years later while living in Tucson Arizona I opened a can of "Cream style" corn I was having with dinner and found, much to my amazement, the rudder to that very aircraft inside the can. After I came to my senses I got a lawyer, sued and recouped the cost of the plane. The moral to this is; Limit your crashing to Soy bean fields (6-8 in. stalks) or start eating a lot of corn....Did I ever tell ya about the time I lost a radio controlled boat? anyway, several years later I was opening a can of sardines and........
Bushrod is offline Find More Posts by Bushrod
Old Jul 16, 2001, 12:41 AM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
Get a bird dog and train him not to retreive - only to locate.

Just a though for those back-wood flyers

Steve
Steve McBride is offline Find More Posts by Steve McBride