HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2012, 01:54 AM
Owner Billet Works Designs
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined May 2012
22 Posts
New Product
Billet Works Designs' AQR-S1 - Acro Quad Rotor - S1 Prototype

Here's the start of another of the many multi rotor products I've been working on here at BWD. This is the main frame for the BWD Acro Quad Rotor - Small1 airframe.

The main frame is machined from 3/32" G10, and will also utilize a few delrin components. The frame is keyed for 6mm square booms, as are the motor mounts. The goal of this lil beast is to be light weight, rigid, durable, and acrobatic...all while fitting into my personal aesthetic preferences.

More details and pics will be posted over the next few days.

Don
Billet Works is offline Find More Posts by Billet Works
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined May 2012
22 Posts
Here are some pics of the full airframe setup with 13.5" motor centers. All up weight as pictured, minus the Quadrino board, is 6 ounces. Flying weight of the prototype with Park 300's, MW Board, Plush 10's, and a Turnigy 1000 3s is 18 ounces.

More pics, details, and vids coming soon...she's a real acrobat and very nimble!

Don
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:18 PM
Joined May 2012
22 Posts
Here's a few more pics including details of the clamp on motor mounts, clamping boom mount, and battery mount. Everything has been machined out to remove as much weight as possible, without sacrificing strength

Details, bigger pics, updates, etc will be on the BW Facebook page here http://www.facebook.com/Billet.Works

Don
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:38 PM
I make quad pieces.
United States, WA
Joined Apr 2012
149 Posts
When will the quad frame be available? And how much?
EBen63060 is offline Find More Posts by EBen63060
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:56 PM
Joined May 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBen63060 View Post
When will the quad frame be available? And how much?
I actually have a few frames done, but I'm waiting on booms now. I am also making some optional motor mount plates for various motors...in addition to the "standard" motor mounting pattern. The full bolt together kit should be around the price of my TR1, give or take. Everything is machined in the US from G10 and Delrin. Hardware is all stainless with hex drive screws.

Frames and parts are being added to my store at www.billet-works-store.com this week. I'll be listing the individual components, in addition to the full kits, so users can replace parts as needed to keep the BWD MultiCopter in the air.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 11:39 PM
I make quad pieces.
United States, WA
Joined Apr 2012
149 Posts
Cool, I had already been to your store. I had also looked at your vids on fb. I like the looks......think canopy. What is delrin? Anything like UHMW? That's what I thought the mounts were, when I saw it.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 11:40 PM
I make quad pieces.
United States, WA
Joined Apr 2012
149 Posts
Found it. Polyoxymethylene (POM)
Old Jun 05, 2012, 12:03 AM
Joined May 2012
22 Posts
You got it My plastic parts are all machined from the Acetron/Delrin brands of Acetal. It's super tough, rigid, able to be machined light weight, and holds shape and threads very well. Provides very solid protection for the electronics, as well as something to create shape from. The canopy and skids also greatly increase the rigidity/strength of the frame overall. Acetal is very expensive when comparing to other plastics, but it is the superior material.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 03:46 AM
I make quad pieces.
United States, WA
Joined Apr 2012
149 Posts
I am a sawmill electrician and we use uhmw in chain races and returns and a multitude of other places. I found this with a quick google. I was surprised at the superiority of the Delrin. Must be a little pricey. Thanks again. I will hopefully be making a purchase soon!!
Old Jun 05, 2012, 03:47 AM
I make quad pieces.
United States, WA
Joined Apr 2012
149 Posts
OOPS!
http://www.makeitfrom.com/compare-ma...hylene-UHMW-PE