Monza Red is offline Find More Posts by Monza Red
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 11:42 PM
CPA# 39
United States, MN, Brooklyn Center
Joined May 2009
742 Posts
I guess I'd like to ask a favor...

Please feel free to post any question, comment, encouragement, or experience you may have related to the Telemaster- past, present, or future-, but please be willing to use the PM icon after the 1st few initial responces.

I appreciate all the posting here, but I'd like zero back in on my daughter's build.

Seeing other families building is a great encouragement to my daughter and I. Feel free to post these pictures and experiences as well.

Thanks!

Brian
EscapeFlyer is offline Find More Posts by EscapeFlyer
Last edited by EscapeFlyer; May 28, 2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:19 PM
CPA# 39
Joined May 2009
742 Posts
Here is yesterday's progress...

Ashley is using the scroll saw, the disk sander, and the drill press.

The manual instructs us to put the bottom skin together first.

All the sheeting was weighed and straightened . The wood is bowed, as expected. So we incorporated a method to straighten the edges that I learned from Jim Graham from Radio City. (He owns Radio City again and is open for business out of Florida!)

Nice and straight!

We are keeping the ugly side of the wood up, learning that more glue is not better, just messier!

She is getting a tempo flowing, and learning a better technique to apply the glue. These things are learned by hands on experience and needs to evolve with experience. It looks better all the time!

Proud as punch!!!!

Brian
Old May 29, 2012, 12:42 PM
Who Dat!
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Sep 2011
650 Posts
she is doing a great job!
GeetarJoe is offline Find More Posts by GeetarJoe
Old May 29, 2012, 02:10 PM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,095 Posts
The Telemasters really LOVE four-stroke mills...

Dear Brian "who Loves Bipes"

The PIPE Here...I vividly remember how MUCH fun my now-departed (left us in December 1996) RC flight instructor Sam Frey, from Cape Cod, had with an Enya 90-4C four stroke powered, eight foot span Senior Telemaster he flew for many years...it was SO "light on its wings" that he had it doing hammerheads, low passes, "flip-tail" inside loops, etc, all at what seemed absurdly LOW alititudes, (like under 60 feet???) and AMAZINGLY low airspeeds, that I have long wanted to have at least one, or perhaps two, Telemasters myself to remember him by.

Before my unemployment checks ran out on the week of Labor Day in 2010, I HAD managed to get myself a Telemaster 40 kit from Hobby Lobby, and with some help from my fellow RCGroup-ers in deciding what four stroke "mill" (hot rodders' lingo for ANY fuel-burning piston engine) from my now TEN-mill four stroke collection would be best to power the Telly-40 with someday, I decided on using the Saito 56 mill I've got waiting for me to get back to work, and even though it WILL eventually go into my 1/6th scale scratchbuilt (from the September 1980 AMA magazine plans) Old Rhinebeck Fleet Finch scale bipe, my completely broken-in Saito 56 will FIRST be going into the Telly-40's nose, complete with a scalelike fiberglass cowl I've already CAD-drafted up on my home PC to house it in the Telly-40's nose.

On top of that, I was also able to find scans of the ORIGINAL Karl-Heinz Denzin designed, initial version of the larger eight-foot wingspan Senior Telly that apparently date from sometime before 1970 somewhere on the 'Net, and I'm also CAD-ding those up to eventually scratchbuild the same size of Telemaster that Sammy flew with way back in the early-to-mid 1980s, with my example intended to use a 1983-vintage OS rear camshaft FS-90 four-stroke mill I've had since it was new...since that time it's had new bearings and valvesprings installed in it, and is as close as I can get to the Enya 90-4C mill of the same displacement that Sammy used in his.

The thread that asked about the mill for my Telly-40 kit is still here and viewable at RCGroups, and even though it COULD be some time before I'm back at work...as I'm graduating with a new two-year business degree this coming Friday (June 1st) from a local community college to help me get BACK to work...I'm looking forward to when the basement here at home can be cleared out, a real "modeler's workshop" brought together (I haven't had one since 1988!) at long last, and get BUILDING for real again...

...that's got to WAIT until I'm back at work, though, so for now I'm simply practicing flying a "virtual" electric powered Senior Telly in my copy of the Aerofly Pro Deluxe flightsim on my PC here at home when time perrmits.

Your daughter Ashley is going to love her own Telly-40...and where it seems that I've seen SO many Telemasters flown with FOUR stroke engines in the past, for hers, I'd bet an OS or Magnum .52, Enya .53, Thunder Tiger .54 or Saito .56 four-stroke mill would be a GREAT engine to fly it with...and it wouldn't even have to be a "new" mill, as LOTS of used four-strokers can be found on the Internet, even here at RCGroups, within its own used engine forum...with any one of the aforementioned mills likely to be available in that thread, at a decent price.

I've got my college graduation REHEARSAL coming up this Tuesday evening at my college, and it's getting nearer during this Tuesday afternoon...so here's hoping Ashley takes her time, so she gets everything properly together on her Telly-40 build, and looking forward to seeing it fly in time!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
Last edited by The PIPE; Jun 01, 2012 at 05:53 AM.
Old May 29, 2012, 02:36 PM
United States, CO, Dacono
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
Glad to see you'll get back in the game soon!
cherokeenut is offline Find More Posts by cherokeenut
Old May 29, 2012, 05:48 PM
CPA# 39
Joined May 2009
742 Posts
Powering her Telemaster....

Pipe-

I have to admit, the idea of a four cycle engine does appeal to me. Especially your vintage engines! That would be a blast to see those scooting around in the air again! I am glad you still have them. Any pictures by any chance?

My username really doesn't fit my interests as strongly as it used to. I still like bipes, but I am obsessed with vintage pattern airplanes and even older sport airplanes. But, you choose a username when you sign on and it sticks with you. Everyone knows me from the "other" site that is dying out as Ilikebipes since 2003. So I kept it.

Not too interesting, but a little human interest I guess...

Powering the Telemaster.

A friend of mine, from Las Vegas, NV, is excited about Ashley's progress, and is wanting to pitch in and help her have a Telemaster that will train her well, and not get her into too much trouble.

He has a nice OS .35 (Not sure which one, but it pre-dates the LA model) he is wanting to give Ashley as a gift. He is currently firing it up and breaking it back in, and adjusting it to make sure Ashley will have a hiccup free experience.

For training, I think the OS .35 will be perfect. It should set her up to get the confidence she needs before moving on to something stronger.

Pipe- I hope you get back into the game as soon as you want to! I would be miserable without my airplanes to build and fly.

Took more pictures today- will post them tomorrow. (It looks like a wing now!)

Brian
Last edited by EscapeFlyer; May 29, 2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
OS .35 MAX FP NIB. I was given a pair of these a few years back and thought I would build the GP P-38 profile but never did. With the air bleed carb Ashley isn't going to be twisting needles when she can be flying. I used the OS .46 LAs in all my fun fly planes during my competition days and loved them. I felt the MAX FPs were still a better built engine. If the .35 doesn't work out for her I also have a NIB FOX .40 Gold Cup but it has a two needle carb, more then I think a kid should have to put up with in there first plane.
I think that one we will save until she decides she wants a Bridi 40 Kaos!!
Gray Beard is offline Find More Posts by Gray Beard
Old May 29, 2012, 07:44 PM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,095 Posts
There IS a post here with a list of ALL my four stroke mills...

Dear Brian:

The PIPE Here again - just got back from rehearsal for my Friday evening graduation from college, and after a one-sheet piece of paperwork to fill out regarding the Federal student loans that mostly paid for my costs of student living WHILE taking my college courses gets submitted to the nearer Canton, MA campus of my college (it needs to be filled out BEFORE graduation) I'll be all set for Friday night's ceremony.

There IS a post here at RCGroups (just wondering, is the forum you used to be on go by the initials "are-cee-you" by any chance - is THAT forum the one you described as "the "other" site that is dying out" ?) from two months ago that I posted, that's got a list of ALL my four-strokers on it (no photos yet, though) and there's also some verry nice VIDEOS to check out there to further (and VERY pleasantly, too!!!) "suggest" to you and Ashley, about considering the choice of a FOUR stroke mill going into the nose of her Telly-40 as she's completing it.

Hope you enjoy those videos at my linked response...I DO want to get an OS FT-160 opposed twin mill someday for a quarter scale scratchbuilt L-4 Grasshopper that will duplicate a full-scale one that I ALMOST got my first aircraft RIDE in 1978 (still haven't yet, though) and a Saito FT-100 opposed twin jug mill to power a quarter scale scratchbuilt version of the Smithsonian's Aeronca C-2 "flying bathtub"...as well as many, MANY other examples of four-stroke pleasantness for many future RC Scale and sport aircraft projects that I've got the plans for, either on paper, to be done as CAD drawings or as PDF files that will eventually be CADded in the future.

Have to remind my verry FRUGAL mother to get the air conditioning on for a decent night's sleep soon...Friday evening can't get here soon enough!

Thanks and Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
Old May 29, 2012, 08:47 PM
CPA# 39
Joined May 2009
742 Posts
We are grateful Gene!

Pipe- I won't waiste much more of my time with that site any longer. It just isn't worth it any longer. I have been there since 2002, and since 2003 with my current username. They just don't care any more.

Mike Buzzeo, Greybeard, and a few others are the only reason I was active there as long as I was. RCGroups and another CPA site are much more worth my time.

Good luck in you endeavors.

Enough on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Beard View Post
OS .35 MAX FP NIB. I was given a pair of these a few years back and thought I would build the GP P-38 profile but never did. With the air bleed carb Ashley isn't going to be twisting needles when she can be flying. I used the OS .46 LAs in all my fun fly planes during my competition days and loved them. I felt the MAX FPs were still a better built engine. If the .35 doesn't work out for her I also have a NIB FOX .40 Gold Cup but it has a two needle carb, more then I think a kid should have to put up with in there first plane.
I think that one we will save until she decides she wants a Bridi 40 Kaos!!

Oh boy!

The OS .35 MAX FP will be perfect! I didn't know it was NIB! The vintage marriage is complete!

Will a 12oz tank be too much for the .35, Gene? Better to go with an 8 to 10oz tank maybe?

I can't wait to let Ashley know!

This is great!!!! Thank you!

Although... I think I may build the original RCM plans Kaos as the .60.

A Bridi Vagabond 40 maybe?

Brian
Last edited by EscapeFlyer; May 29, 2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 11:16 PM
United States, CO, Dacono
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
Just finished swapping out the Enya 60 4C for a Magnum 52, the Enya was just too big and heavy. By the way, it depends on your altitude of course but a 35 of any make would never get a Telemaster 40 off the ground here in Denver. I agree with Pipe, go with a 4 stroke and a bit bigger like what I put on, or maybe a OS 48 Surpass.
cherokeenut is offline Find More Posts by cherokeenut
Old May 29, 2012, 11:56 PM
CPA# 39
Joined May 2009
742 Posts
I appreciate the opinions. I am set for power.

Brian
Last edited by EscapeFlyer; May 30, 2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Opened thread back up.
Old May 30, 2012, 08:43 PM
CPA# 39
Joined May 2009
742 Posts
More pictures to come tomorrow!

The wing just keeps getting bigger, and Bigger, And Bigger, And Bigger......

Brian

BTW- Thanks to Zor and those who commented... you know what for.
Last edited by EscapeFlyer; May 30, 2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old May 30, 2012, 08:54 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,817 Posts
It needs to be said....You're the man! Ashley will never forget this time with you.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2012, 09:03 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikebipes View Post
More pictures to come tomorrow!

The wing just keeps getting bigger, and Bigger, And Bigger, And Bigger......

Brian
Brian ( aka Ilikebipes ),

Thank you Brian on my behalf and for all readers fascinated by the interest and achievements of a young lady.

Please just disregard any postings diverging from the actual work that Ashley is doing.

Make sure she realize our interest in her work and the encouragement we wish to provide.

Ashley

You have a whole group of people just fascinaed by your work.

Be VERY careful using the power tools and follow your dad's advice.

As I wrote in another thread I started, your smile is priceless for all of us.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Closed Thread