Closed Thread
Old May 26, 2012, 10:42 PM
CPA# 39
United States, MN, Brooklyn Center
Joined May 2009
725 Posts
Build Log
Ashley's Hobby Lobby Telemaster build!

My daughter, Ashley, wanted to build another Joe Bridi designed airplane, but I felt the RCM Advanced Trainer that we had plans built together was just WAY too much for her.

The Hobby Lobby Telemaster should fit the bill, and it was drawn up by Joe Bridi! So she's a happy camper! (I think she has the Bridi bug from her dad...)

Anyhow, I found a kit about 2 months ago with good wood. I stole it for $45 too! Really happy!

This is the airplane I soloed on in.... 1995/1996ish, I can't remember for sure....

It was a great airplane and a lot of fun too.

Brian
EscapeFlyer is offline Find More Posts by EscapeFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2012, 10:54 PM
CPA# 39
Joined May 2009
725 Posts
Day 1 of assembly....

Today we read thru the instruction manual, studied the plans to make a few needed decisions, and took a trip to the hobby shop for some parts.

Then we organized the hardware and got to it.

This will be Ashley's build. I promised her she would be doing this, and my role would be to answer questions, teach, and observe. This is not my build! (I have to keep telling myself that! I really enjoy building!)

Ashley and I ganged together the ribs, taped the two outer rib profiles to maintain the proper rib profile, and sanded the ribs to a consistent contour, as well as adjust the spar cut outs to fit the spar properly.

Then Ashley weighed each rib and spar in grams. The goal is to make the left wing heavy to compensate for the engine muffler and help in lateral balance.

The wood is on the heavy side, but I am not building my typical pattern airplane here. There is a LOT of wing area to accept a little extra blubber...

Then we went to the drill press and drilled the holes to accept the pushrod for the aileron pushrod system.

YES!~ We will be using the bell-cranks! We like our airplanes old school!

We had to stop there for today.

Until next time!

(If you enjoy this at all, please let us know.)

Brian
Old May 27, 2012, 12:14 AM
United States, CO, Dacono
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
Very very good to see your daughter building! My two son's fly with me but yesterday was the first time my daughter would actually come out and watch me fly. I flew my Lazy Bee and she wanted to see this "cartoon" plane fly. As a side, I'll be maidening my Bridi Telemaster built in '84, hopefully soon. It was bult by an engineer and he got scared after the build and put it on a shelf till I bought it last month.
cherokeenut is offline Find More Posts by cherokeenut
Old May 27, 2012, 12:27 AM
Who Dat!
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Sep 2011
650 Posts
She looks very excited to be building.
I always liked the telemaster. great looking plane!
GeetarJoe is offline Find More Posts by GeetarJoe
Old May 27, 2012, 12:27 AM
CPA# 39
Joined May 2009
725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeenut View Post
Very very good to see your daughter building! My two son's fly with me but yesterday was the first time my daughter would actually come out and watch me fly. I flew my Lazy Bee and she wanted to see this "cartoon" plane fly. As a side, I'll be maidening my Bridi Telemaster built in '84, hopefully soon. It was bult by an engineer and he got scared after the build and put it on a shelf till I bought it last month.
Pics?

We used to live in Ft. Lupton/Brighton, CO. I was a member with M.A.S. by DIA. Familiar with them?

Brian
Old May 27, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
Yes, here is my Bee and the Telemaster. I haven't flown out there but my brother has, he says they seem like good folks. I fly mainly at Chatfeild, it's closer.
Old May 27, 2012, 03:30 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,517 Posts
Enjoy it-? ENJOY IT !?Man ,that's the look I want to see on a builder's face !I have an eight year old friend,who helps me in the shop, on occasion..She loves being there,and 'building' stuff with me.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old May 27, 2012, 04:28 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
This is cool stuff, dude.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old May 28, 2012, 07:50 AM
michigan jet guy
USA, MI, Caledonia
Joined Jul 2007
1,078 Posts
man i wish i could get my daughter down in the shop with me. Enjoy it man. It goes by so quick. Phil
mrshea is offline Find More Posts by mrshea
Old May 28, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
Finally maidened my Telemaster 40 today, all I can say is this thing will take getting use to, it doesn't fly like a normal trainer. I had a terrible time getting her airborn, kept ground looping.
Old May 28, 2012, 07:05 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,517 Posts
Quote:
Finally maidened my Telemaster 40 today, all I can say is this thing will take getting use to, it doesn't fly like a normal trainer. I had a terrible time getting her airborn, kept ground looping.
My Senior tries to do that .....hold the tail down until you get a little speed,and inertia will help keep it straight...And don't just dump in full throttle...come up slowly.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old May 28, 2012, 08:12 PM
CPA# 39
Joined May 2009
725 Posts
Quote:
It doesn't fly like a normal trainer, or it doesn't roll out like a normal trainer?

It sounds as though your using a tail dragger configuration? It wouldn't be set up as a trainer this way.

My 1st Telemaster was a tail dragger. I remember needing to throttle into it very slowly and work the rudder on take-off. I was terrible at 1st, but once I had it- It was great every time!

You'll get it!

Ashley has accompished a lot of work today, but I had to wrap it up and leave too quickly to post the pictures. I'll post them tomorrow! (She is getting to do 3/4 the work so far. The second wing half will be ALL her. I hope to see what she learned!)

Brian
Old May 28, 2012, 09:31 PM
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
See that's the thing, my Kadet Sr. just lifts the tail and up she goes. My Slowpoke and Sportster both do too, the only thing all three have in comon is a wide stance between front wheels, whereas the Telemasters front wheels are closer, more Cub like.
Old May 28, 2012, 10:03 PM
CPA# 39
Joined May 2009
725 Posts
That would be the defining factor.

It makes it fun though! It's a challenge! At least that's what they were telling me with my Smith Miniplane!

Brian
Old May 28, 2012, 10:29 PM
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
I watch vids on youtube and all Telemasters just pop right into the air, mine taxied like a normal plane for probably 20-30 feet and then when the tail came up it would dart back and forth rather than just lift off. Very strange.
Closed Thread