HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Feb 2012
22 Posts
Discussion
Hirobo Shuttle Plus +2 Broken Swashplate

I built this kit three months ago and I've flown about a gallon through it. Today I was going to practice nose-in hovering and during inspection I noticed the swashplate was broken (see pic). I don't know how this happened. I haven't crashed, haven't dropped it, nothing hit it during transport that I know of. No other damage.

So no fun this weekend. I'm wondering if anyone else cares to speculate on why this might have happened. I use a foam blade holder when transporting but have no reason to suspect that. I'm at a loss.

Z
zorah is offline Find More Posts by zorah
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2012, 07:33 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,089 Posts
Apart from the possibility of a significant other, or any offspring, that "didn't touch is, I swear on my mothers grave I didn't", it might be just a very rare manufacturing fault..

This should not happen from basic hoovering training, but obviously, it has....

So just look your co-inhabitants (if any) deeply into the eyes, and ask again, or just shrug and buy a new one....

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is online now Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Jun 01, 2012, 04:34 PM
Joined Feb 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1967 View Post
his should not happen from basic hoovering training, but obviously, it has....

So just look your co-inhabitants (if any) deeply into the eyes, and ask again, or just shrug and buy a new one....

Brgds, Bert
Ha! That's basically what I did. Nobody was waterboarded, yet I'm satisfied that they didn't have anything to do with it. Even if they did they wouldn't hesitate to own up to it since they each know they are the most important. The new swashplate arrived in the mail today and it is already assembled, which is great. I'm going to carefully listen to the servos to make sure none were damaged however this happened.

I'm trained to analyze metal and determine how it failed but I can't see anything odd with the plastic here except it could stand to be a bit thicker. Not that I would know what I was looking at even if I saw something. Anyway, tomorrow is good weather so I'll forget about this and move on.

The only other thing I would ask is that I'd like to have a way to hang the copters from the ceiling of my Jeep or something because they are not as easy to transport as planes. In some ways they are even more delicate. I'm looking at some hard cases and that kind of thing.

Thanks!
Z
zorah is offline Find More Posts by zorah
Old Jun 02, 2012, 02:23 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,089 Posts
Glad you didn't have to waterboard anybody. But for example, sometimes 4 or 5 year olds do not own up as easy.... (don't have one, but once was one long time ago, and my older brother was into static scale plastic modeling... ).

Nah, just fabricate or buy a foam bladesupport and fix your heli's with the skids to some transport board, that you put in the trunk of your car.

That should do it, for all cases except off road racing....

Hard cases are a good thing as long as the helicopter is fully supported in foam or similar.
But hardcases tend to be BIG.....

I do not own a big car, so I bought a single axle box-trailer, fitted two shelves in that, and I clamp my helicopters with the landing skids to the shelves. With or without blades (using a blade support) that never gave any transport damage. But I try to avoid bumpy roads though.

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is online now Find More Posts by Brutus1967